Confessions about Project Gotham Racing 2 (PGR2)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 20 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Project Gotham Racing 2... what is this? John reviewing an XBOX game? I thought he disliked the XBOX? Well, I still do, but I have confessions to make about PGR2 in this quick review.

The demo of PGR2 that I played featured three types of races: street race, timed race, and the race with the cones. In the respective races, you can race a Nissan Skyline R34, a classic Ferrari, and a Trans-Am of the past. Cities? Yokohama, Florence, and Chicago. So what are my confessions? Read on, boys and girls.

I will admit that the cities are stylized quite well. It was a bit of a disappointment that you couldn't get Tokyo in PGR2, but you do get its next door neighbor some miles south called Yokohama. I couldn't get used to the sliding of the car in the game. To me, PGR2 is more about rhythm instead of turning on a dime like in Gran Turismo. I'll admit that the rhythm is fun. It's kind of like Dance Dance Revolution. The game is about rhythm, but in this case, rhythm while driving. You score points based on fancy stunts and cool moves. But hit the wall, and you lose either Kudos points or combo points. And believe me, I didn't do too well. I couldn't get acquainted with the tracks long enough to actually study braking points and how to go about in the turns. It wasn't GT, so I had to learn about the proper rhythm in setting myself up for each turn.

Then I tried Florence with the Ferrari. Florence was a little easier, and a Ferrari sliding around those streets is pretty... cool. Florence is stlyed nicely as well. It has shades of the Rome Circuit in GT. I think I even spun out and did a 360. I got points for that, of course.

The Chicago track with the Trans-Am was an interesting oppurtunity to learn the course first-hand. The Trans-Am had kind of a mean sound, but Chi-town seemed pretty nice.

All-in-all, I have my pros and cons.
PROS: arcade style, nice selection of cars, wonderfully-styled cities and tracks
CONS: the graphics still looks a little dull, not a good learning curve for the sim racer, (no offense) it's not GT4

So I take back all or most of my rants about PGR2. Confessions complete.

I'd rather hang myself by a noose than sing Usher, much less anything... :)

John, I guess you didn't play the demo that had the Ferrari Enzo did you?

The Ferrari Enzo handles like craps. So don't worry about it.

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to make confessions about PGR2. I know I dislike the XBOX, but PGR2 is a bit of a good time killer. Just that, I'd rather kill time by waiting for GT4, even if it means I'll have gray hairs on my head.

I have a question John, why do you hate the Xbox? At first I was all about the Ps2 then the Xbox came out and i was still a hardcore Ps2 fan until I ran out of memory card space and I found that you can have more than 3 full 15 song Cd's and not make a dent in the space in the Xbox's hard drive. Also as I began to play Xbox I started to notice similarities in the graphics in the first gen Xbox games vs what ever gen the Ps2 was on and they were close, then I popped in a first gen Ps2 game and it was like a 16 bit game, I could bearly believe it. then I started to play online, the Ps2's online playability is fun and all but since the servers are not set up and regulated by sony you can get some shotty servers, on the other hand Xbox Live's servers are regulated by Microsoft and games have to meet requirements so you get a great quality over all games. As I was typing this it turned into more of a rant than a question, just to let you know I am not saying that you are stupid for hating Xbox or trying to sway you to liking Xbox, I was just trying to tell the points of the Xbox that has made me see that Xbox(in my view) is the better system. So back to the point what is it about the Ps2 that you like more than the Xbox?

For me, I have played PGR2 and have beat it on Gold. So usually I just waste time driving on Yokohama, or Washington. For me, I enjoyed, and liked the Test Drive option along with the showroom. An option I had never seen in another game, and had been and still am hoping something like that will be GT4.

I don't have the answer yet, but I will reply later as to why I dislike the XBOX. Can't give the answer now... have to go.

Take a look at the XBOX thread "Confessions as to Why I Dislike the XBOX" for answers as to why I dislike the XBOX. Okay?

I hate XBOX the controller to damn big and pointy as hell which hurts hand. I have XBOX so you guys cant call me a "PS2 FANBOY" or something like that.

i liekd it, i dont have it my buddy does, it was much more of an arcade than simulation, with practically no custimazation )BIG word...( , it was fun online though, espically cat and mouse )

McLaren F1GTR
For me, I have played PGR2 and have beat it on Gold. So usually I just waste time driving on Yokohama, or Washington. For me, I enjoyed, and liked the Test Drive option along with the showroom. An option I had never seen in another game, and had been and still am hoping something like that will be GT4.
Are you even going to try for platinum, or are you giving up?

Steeda
Are you even going to try for platinum, or are you giving up?
Yes, I have been going for Platinum. I just beat the Washington 2 lap night race in extreme. The one with the F40 that takes off at the beginning.

McLaren F1GTR
Yes, I have been going for Platinum. I just beat the Washington 2 lap night race in extreme. The one with the F40 that takes off at the beginning.
HAHA I just beat that one myself last night , it was hard I used the F40 myself

Steeda
HAHA I just beat that one myself last night , it was hard I used the F40 myself

I used the F50. Have to get in 3rd before the 3rd turn at least 2nd before turning onto the hill going down.

Driving rhythms, well dont you think racing is actually a rhythm, once you lose your rhythm (concentration) you will crash.

Well, racing games are about rhythm. It's just that PGR2 is kind of like Need for Speed meets Dance Dance Revolution. When I talk about "rhythm" in this game, it's that when you drift, draft, score a perfect lap, do a 360, and all that, you kind of want to chain them together for more points. And that's what makes PGR2 unique from Gran Turismo. PGR2 is more arcadish, and you can drive machines from a classic Trans-Am all the way up to the Ferrari Enzo (which has nothing on the McLaren F1 except more horsepower).

well...
i think other than getting points, drifting in PGR2 actually slows your down.
i rather drive faster (when in Live mode) rather than getting all those points, when i already have enough to buy the cars i like

Back