Craziest thing you've ever done playing split-screen in GT6.

• Thread starter GBalao888
  • 18 comments
Philippines
Philippines
GBalao888
GBalao888
There was one time that me and my friend were playing split-screen, on the High Speed Ring, and I was using a white X2014 Fan Car. My friend was using an X2011. I suddenly flipped over and my friend pressed the circle button on my controller. When I was going back to win against him he hit the barrier near the pit-stop, and I won. That was my craziest story of playing split-screen in GT6. What about any of the GT Planeteers here?

I dont have any fellow peeps to split screen with, its all madden and fifa and racing games suck to them.

But to go off topic a bit, the craziest thing me and my brother used to do when we were kids was..

Goldeneye on 64 split screen, we would tape a black trash bag to the tv at the split, and whoever was on the bottom screen would sit under the bag so we couldnt see eachothers screen as we were trying to find/kill eachother lol

Was a moment of 10 and 7 yr old genius :P

I tried GT4 in split screen mode for about a minute and quit. I hate split screen mode in a racing game. I am a bit surprised that they even have it in any modern games.

Back in the day that was the only way to do two player but now with online play which is about 1 million times better then need for split screen is gone and most people do not use it.

I only use split-screen for recording replays to use in photomode. I've only used split screen with a friend for that stupid uphill race with Fiat 500s at Eiger K, but other then that nothing crazy happened.

I tried GT4 in split screen mode for about a minute and quit. I hate split screen mode in a racing game. I am a bit surprised that they even have it in any modern games.

Back in the day that was the only way to do two player but now with online play which is about 1 million times better then need for split screen is gone and most people do not use it.

I disagree. Whenever I visit my brother (or the other way around) we often play a few rounds of GT6 split screen. The functionality in GT6 is very limited though, we're often annoyed at the random time settings.

We don't do much in the way of crazy though. I think the best part was when I raced the R8 Gordini against my brother's CTR2 at Cote d'Azur...it was actually close :)

When I did split-screen on GT6 once with my friend, he said that the glare at High Speed Ring makes him lose easily.

More like 'now with online play developers are thinking that they can get away with forcing people to buy two copies of the same game on the same platform if they want to play together'. Online play requires good connection for both parties, requires both players to own a copy each on the same console (and of course also requires 2 consoles, requires both players to own mics if they want to communicate and generally speaking lacks any form of video chat. Split-screen has no connection issues (doesn't even need a connection or online account at all, which is especially good for my 360), doesn't need mics or cameras, only needs an extra controller, and you can both order pizza. Online is good, but split-screen should never be shafted out to make room for it.

Earlier this winter I had a two good old friends over, and we had our self a split-screen battles of GT6 all night.
It was pretty cool reminiscing from the good old days of split-screen battles we had in PS1/PS2 era.
We made up more and more elaborate championships during night(mostly on the original tracks)
It may not be crazy, but it was good fun :)

For me split screen brings back memories of the old consoles prior to PS2. For the last 15 years or so the only game I have played that I used split screen on is Road Rash 64 and then only because that is the only way to play with 2 players.

Split screen is really lame in a racing game, being able to see what the other player sees is very distracting and extremely unrealistic. I guess if you have no other option its better than nothing but no where near as good as a direct connect on a LAN, nor even a internet connection, for that matter I have played racing games over the modem at 26,400 baud that blow away any split screen mode.

Few times I've played Two player split-Screen. One time with my brother and other time with one of my friends. It was so fun. Other friends of mine have different taste's, Some like GT, Some don't like GT, some don't know even what a Gran Turismo is But mostly They and a lot of people just play Call of duty and no just that. No Battle Field, no GTA, no, Fifa, no........etc
BTW the friend who i played with him owns a digital version of Gran Turismo 6 from PSN so we play online with each other.

so nah, no cool things happened but it did happened online with my friend and other players.

It was in GT5, but this is just as possible in GT6:

We had a race on Special Stage Route X between the HPA twin turbo Audi TT and the GT by Citroën - with a twist: The Citroën was driving in reverse. The Audi had a little more top speed, but the Citroën had a much better acceleration. In the end, the latter one won just barely.

NwaQouR.jpg

I recently had a birthday celebration that ended up turning into a giant GT5 gaming session... All sorts of wacky races there.

So it started out with just me and my long-time car-nerd buddy, Ben who I hadn't seen in a while. Our first race was at Monza, me in a Renault Avantime, him in a Dodge Ram 1500... It was ridiculous. Somehow we ended up next to each other in almost all of the bends, and there was a lot of bumping and sandy situations... I had a bit more practice, but the Ram had me in the straights, and I lost by only a few tenths of a second. Great fun.

The second guest arrived during that race, but she wanted to watch some more. Most of the other guests arrived during the second race, so we all began to trade off, loser giving up the controller. Me and Ben were the only ones with experience in racing games, so I made sure we had under-powered cars for fair competition. That tied with our interest in odd cars, there were some pretty great combos. Things like Volvo 240 vs.'80s Suzuki Alto at Fuji, '85 Pajero Rally vs. Alfa Spider at Trial Mountain, the list goes on... But amazingly, they were all super close races.

Now this second guest, Lela, she's got a story. I ended up in some slippery mid-range RWD car, and I kept getting tail-happy and going off track. She had watched a good 8 or so races, and was generally rooting for me in most of them, but she hadn't yet played, and her only racing experience was Mario Kart. So she started to yell at me for going too slow around bends or crashing. She's a competitive person, so I dragged her into the next race, claiming I'd be able to beat her with the slowest car (in my favorites list) - the '49 Beetle. Then, to be cruel, I picked her car for her - the Shelby Cobra. I set up a 2-lap Suzuka race. The race started, she flew off the line, left me in a cloud of smoke, and immediately started to bask in her premature excellence. Then, the first corner happened. She went in full-throttle, and immediately spun backwards into the gravel. I have never seen a smirk leave someone's face that quickly before, it was astounding. Her mouth literally dropped open. She couldn't comprehend how she had gone so wrong. I managed to catch up to her right as she got back on track, and she tried to ram me, but she spun again and ended up in the grass on the other side of the track. Every time she tried to pull the car back onto the Tarmac she spun around and got pulled into a deeper state of embarrassment. She held the thing at full-throttle the whole time, and could hardly keep the Cobra in a straight line. She hadn't even gone half-way around the circuit by the time I finished the first lap. By then, I decided to be less cruel and advised her to let off the has a little bit. She managed to get the car to go in a straight line, but only held it at about 60 MPH... ... Though that was a bit more than my top speed. Despite her hilarious start, she managed to catch me in the last chicane, slam me into the wall, and take the win. She hasn't let that go... Sigh...

Over-all great races, enjoyment from everyone, which was a surprise for me, because GT seemed to be such a niche type of game.

Another great incident happened between me and my dad, him in an Alpine a110, and I in a very-beige Isuzu 117, both stock. We were at the Top Gear Test Track, and I somehow managed to roll my car not only once, but twice in the same race by hitting cones in an unfortunate fashion.

Personally, I think a proper split-screen experience > than just about anything you can achieve in online, in the social aspect. I've made some real memories there.

I've had another party with a bunch more great moments, this time I got pictures:

I went up against my close buddy, Diego, one lap on Sarthe:

image.jpg

He didn't have too much experience so it stayed a close race despite me having the old Honda:

image.jpg

...Aaand some rude corner cutting grabbed me the victory...

image.jpg

My first race with a lady that had missed the last party, and had no prior experience at all - I took the truck for the sake of comedy:

image.jpg

...And I lost, badly...

Another girl, Cassidy, had become super competitive since the last party, and started to get all in my face, and she wanted to race me in "the bus"... I set two laps on Nurburg GP:

image.jpg

...And as you can see, I picked a troll car... One I hadn't really tested... Bad choice:

image.jpg

It was still massively faster than the lap times Cassidy could pull with her floundering about in the sand, so I tried going backwards a lap to even the odds... And I lost by about a lap...:ouch:

Now, Cassidy and Diego both seem to be secretly chasing after one another, it's kinda adorable... But the next race was between them, and they bickered like an old couple as this ensued:

image.jpg

She won, and then immediately went after the first girl, one of her best friends... Being victorious in the last race, she decided that she would be unstoppable in an interceptor, up against a racing Lexus with about the same power... Four laps on Laguna Seca:

image.jpg

...She had issues keeping "the bus" in a straight line, this was just a nightmare... She was already a lap behind at this point:

image.jpg

Despite doing so well and learning the game fast, the first lady wasn't without incident:

image.jpg

The next race was on the the Nurburg 24hr variant, and began like this:

image.jpg

RLY???

R U SRS RITE NOW

image.jpg

As long as there were corners, I could actually keep up with her pace... Though, the sandy situations definitely helped:

image.jpg

And Nurburg's bumps in the kart didn't leave me without incident, either:

image.jpg

I honestly don't know how so much emotion can be placed into a character in GT:

image.jpg

DAT BOOTY DOE

image.jpg

Now I'm just showing off:

image.jpg

She really pulled away around half-way in the high-speed, wide corner sections, but I caught back up a few sectors away from the back straight:

image.jpg

Had I not spun in the corner before the finish, this race would've been super interesting - she had spun as well, and we would've probably been neck-and-neck at the end if the straight, but she'd be at about twice my speed. She crashed three times in the final corners before the finish, and if we had been neck-and-neck at the end of the straight, I honestly can't say who would've won, which would've made the race that much more hilarious. This was another great day, with even better races.

I will say this again: Proper offline multiplayer is SO much better then about anything you can get online, even with your closest friends.

I've never had anyone to really play with on split-screen until now. On GT5 I'd play with my brothers and they were very aggressive. One would always smash into the other at the right moment when he was gonna pass. He tried it to me but I slammed the brakes and went straight into the barrier! This was on Daytona. We also raced on the Top Gear Test Track a lot. Now I just play with my girlfriend on GT6.

Obviously each player having their own screen is better than sharing a single screen.
However, split-screen is a good option for local party play, it only requires 1 console & 1 copy of the game, it's a great option to play against some of my friends who are more on the casual side and don't own a copy of a specific game, or sometimes don't even have a PS3.
I wish there was 4-player split-screen and the option to add AI cars in GT6's split-screen mode, PD could set GT6 to run 720p at 30fps on split-screen only if needed, that would be better than 2 players with no AI cars.

Best multiplayer option imo is lan. Each player has their own screen, no lag, no time wasted waiting in a lobby, I can look people in the face when I beat them, and nobody will do something stupid like crashing on another player's car, drive backwards, rage quit, etc.
Unfortunately lan isn't available in GT5/GT6.

The classic super fast car vs super slow car. Say for example, a Dodge Viper vs a Mini Cooper. Give the Cooper around 25 seconds and then try to beat it. The cool thing about it is that in some tracks, catching on to little cars that you might think are slow, it's actually very difficult.

Drag races in Top Gear Test track!! Oh wait... We use Route X now :P

Split screen is still a huge thing for me in Gran Turismo and some people underestimate how much fun it is. Also, there is something that online gaming will never replace; sitting next to your best buddy, sharing a huge bowl of Doritos and having a great time enjoying the game you love. I hope they never get rid of it.

Back