Difference between the GT40 and LM Race Car?

• Thread starter SkierPS3
  • 26 comments
United States
Connecticut
Skier1017,GTP_Skier
PSN Skier
They look identical and seem to be the same in every way, so what is the difference? Is the LM a remake/newer version of the GT40?

Yes, the GT40 won Le Mans 4 consecutive times in the 60s, and the Ford GT LM is a fictional race car created by PD to commemorate Ford's 100th anniversary, along with the production Ford GT. So, to answer your question, the GT40 is real and the GT LM is a fictional remake. 👍

The GT40 was a "e mans winning car from the 1960's. Ford made a remake in the early 2000's. This was called the GT, this car was turned into a race car by PD

The GT40 is from 1969. All the GT LM's are fantasy race versions of the GT. The GT LM you talk of is in the same retro paint job as the GT40. The GT LM Spec II is a winnable standard, and the Spec II Test Car is in the premium GT dealership.

Thanks for all the responses, I figured the LM was a remake. So is the power, handling etc the same?

Thanks for all the responses, I figured the LM was a remake. So is the power, handling etc the same?

No. The LM's are based on the Ford GT road car. They handle better than the GT40.

The one that looks like the GT40 is the worst of the three, but not to an extent that it really makes much of a difference if you want to get it over the other two.

No. The LM's are based on the Ford GT road car. They handle better than the GT40.

They also have a lot more power, 6-speed gearboxes, better aero, and a better sound. The GT40 sounds like it's broken.

Ford sold the GT with a limited GT40 Livery in 2002, it was called the Heritage Edition (I think?).

Oh, I think the GT40 with its 427 (7.0L) sounds much better than the GT LM Race Car hands down.

Technically they're all real in some form or another. The Ford GT40 Gulf race car is th beast of Le Mans from the 60s. The Spec II Ford GT race cars (white LM and Test car) are actually one in the same, with the white one being the prototype and the test car being closer to the current competition car). The Spec I Ford GT race car is just one of the prototype designs that was meant to commemorate the Gulf GT40 of the 60s. It now very likely sits in one of the heavily guarded car warehouses that ford owns in Indiana or Michigan, thath houses classics and old protoype designs like the Indigo and Futura Concept. So in essence, yes it is real. . . but other than one or two car shows in that cars lifetime it will probably never see the light of day in public view.

Technically they're all real in some form or another. The Ford GT40 Gulf race car is th beast of Le Mans from the 60s. The Spec II Ford GT race cars (white LM and Test car) are actually one in the same, with the white one being the prototype and the test car being closer to the current competition car). The Spec I Ford GT race car is just one of the prototype designs that was meant to commemorate the Gulf GT40 of the 60s. It now very likely sits in one of the heavily guarded car warehouses that ford owns in Indiana or Michigan, thath houses classics and old protoype designs like the Indigo and Futura Concept. So in essence, yes it is real. . . but other than one or two car shows in that cars lifetime it will probably never see the light of day in public view.

url

I haven't found any pictures of the Spec II so I think that PD made it up.

url

I haven't found any pictures of the Spec II so I think that PD made it up.

They did. Yamauchi said it himself that he made a Ford Race Car to put in GT4 because of how much he loved the Ford GT. He said that he wanted to pimp out his very own Ford GT like that one day. The test car is just another mock up of it, but in test car form with the traditional black test car colours.

The Ford GT LM in Gulf colors was confusing to me when I first saw it in the Like The Wind. I thought it was a GT40 but it was way too fast.

They did. Yamauchi said it himself that he made a Ford Race Car to put in GT4 because of how much he loved the Ford GT. He said that he wanted to pimp out his very own Ford GT like that one day. The test car is just another mock up of it, but in test car form with the traditional black test car colours.

Yamauchi owns two Ford GTs in real life. He said its his favorite car design, that's why it was on GT4's cover.

There was a video of a Black Ford GT race car (which looks a lot like the Spec II) about a year after prologue came out. I've tried finding, but as expected trying to find it now results in nothing but Gran Turismo videos. It was being tested at a track in South America. The video was somewhat low res, but the cars was the fastest of the GT cars at that track. In that video it was faster than the Ferrari race car that was there and nothing else for the Gt classes could pass it at the time. However, at the time of its testing I'm not sure if it was bult to its current race specs. The Ford GT's I see that race now are considerably slower than that one.

Edit- A personal thought, the could have used the information GT of a made up Spec II car and then decided to see if one could realy be built to perform like that. Just a thought, not saying its true or false because honestly I don't know.

I know the Camaro LM they claimed wasn't real and then I seen a few up for sale about a year after GT4 came out, in the back of Motor Trend magazine.

The spec II white LM and Test car are not the same in game, The test car does handle better and has a small advantage in BHP. Fully tuned white 810 bhp black 825 bhp.

Ford sold the GT with a limited GT40 Livery in 2002, it was called the Heritage Edition (I think?).

Oh, I think the GT40 with its 427 (7.0L) sounds much better than the GT LM Race Car hands down.

The first model year of the Ford GT was 2005. The Heritage model was introduced in 2006.

It's a really cool option. When you ordered it, you could pick the number you wanted on there (if you did want one) and the dealer would apply it when it arrived.

Yes, the GT40 won Le Mans 4 consecutive times in the 60s, and the Ford GT LM is a fictional race car created by PD to commemorate Ford's 100th anniversary, along with the production Ford GT. So, to answer your question, the GT40 is real and the GT LM is a fictional remake. 👍

http://www.dickbarbourracing.com/
Dick Barbour runs two Ford GT race cars, though he apparently isn't any good about updating his web page. If I can find the pictures I took when I was at his shop I will update this post.

Actually in the late 1960s there were 4 version of the Ford GT although only Mark I, II and IV were actually race cars. Mark II and IV are built by Shelby and are therefore american but Mark I was english. Funny enough the Mark I won the latter races in '68 + '69, while Mark I won the '66 followed by Mk IV in '67 which incidentally makes the latter the last american built car to won the overall classification at Le Mans (while Corvette won several times at Le Mans including this year, it's in GT class only).

weight, hp and torque are different, year hp torque mass
Ford GT '06 14 149,880 2006 MR 0.3673 533 484 1,451
Ford GT LM Race Car #4 21 ? MR 0.5149 587 506 1,140
Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II #4 MR 0.5195 587 506 1,130

Back