Duplicate Cars in Races?

• Thread starter 2004TSX
  • 16 comments
Has anyone noticed in GT4 when you get into a race, you end up racing an AI car just like yours in some races? Why can't they choose better cars? For GT5, I hope they implement a way for the game to recognize what you are driving and then have no other car like yours or any other AI. If for some reason, you're driving the fastest car in the game, the others cars should be tuned to keep up with you if not pass you! I would like to see if anyone else wants this feature to be implemented in GT5 or if you have any other idea's that are in the same category.

It would be nice to have difficulty settings to set the AI's tuning relative to yours, having them always tuned to keep up with you could make some races impossible for some drivers. It would also stop the really really good drivers from complaining that the game was too easy.
I don't see your complaint about the AI driving the same model car as you. I've never minded when that happens.

If I had an Xbox I'd be playing RalliSport Challenge right now. :D
Anyway, I wasn't saying I need the difficulty adjust for myself, it would just be a nice simple feature that would allow the game to be more specifically tailored to each individual player.

How come the game can not be what it is. No matter how real people want it, it will allways remain a game. To me the game should be as good as possible but yet have as much flexibility as possible. With as many cars as the series is starting to get there is no reason to be forced to face the same cars ever time you enter a race. Also why not have the tracks be variable also. Differnt cars, different tracks would sure make me want to do those incredible long race series infinite amount of times. Random prize cars was also not a bad way to go. Was a pain at times but made it worth racing a series multiple times. I really do not like the way the race tracks are divided up in GT4. You should be able to take any car and enter most races, sure it is okay to have say 25% of races reserved for certain cars. I would also like to be able to enter a series and then if need be say do to real time constraints, run some single races with out having to complete the series first. Maybe that defeats the point of the series but it is a game we all can not being playing this for a few hours every day.

When I enter a race, I'd like the option of:

a) Picking a "class" for the other drivers to adhere to, or know the class I am entering. In other words, be able to pick JGTC GT300, or even "Muscle Car" ... so the field has a "theme".

b) Know the type and power of car that's in the race before I enter it and without the requirement that I preview it.

c) Have all cars classed and rated in some way (like Forza), so it's easy to see what can enter a race and what can't.

d) If I'm not in a car that is legitimate for a race, let me switch to one in my garage without requiring that I exit, click a dozen times, pick my car and then come back.

e) If a race has particular requirements, list the cars that I own that meet them and let me pick one right then and there.

f) Let me easily set up a cusom race, selecting HP range, legitimate tires, car class, theme, or even one particular model. Give the AI different car colors and numbers, to really help distinguish the field.

I agree with you there Kolyana..

It'd make it more replayable, seeing as you can race whatever cars you want, and see how certain cars perform with each other.

Apparently (and this comes from someone who is new to the GT series), but they had a similar feature in GT1 and then rmeoved it in later releases?

Yes, in GT1 you could see the amount of horsepower each car had prior to starting the race.

Unless I'm mistaken, seeing as how I haven't played that game in about six years.

Okay, if you have a car that can win the race ON PAPER, usually what the grids will consist of are a few cars less powerful than yours, cars at your level, and then maybe one too tough to take down. And considering we may be getting 20 or so car fields, it greatly increases the chances that you won't be having the only specific car in the field. Usually, I dislike this with a passion. I'm like, "get your own (manufacter) (car name), damn you! This my whip... I mean, my ride!" But it's not like that in a GT game, you dig? Hell, I remember having to race a Corvette C5R in the Stars and Stripes races once when I did Seattle Circuit Normal in GT3. I was like, I'm not racing against a GT car with my lowly-modified American car. I think I had a Cobra R (which I also lost a DTM race with), so it makes almost no sense to have five street cars, and then a Le Mans race car. How confident your budget racer can knock off a world-class race car?

If you're racing against world-class race cars, surely you'd want to see just your own ride on screen. Here's what I would suggest. If I'm racing a Corvette C5R, and another one races a C5R, that's fine. But granted that paintjobs and such are in the game, I at least want to tell my car from a competitor's model. Maybe have some extra car skins like in "TOCA Race Driver 2" and the horrible AI of "Pro Race Driver." At least then, I have my own car. But if you're just going to have a race series with only one type of car greatly represented, then more variety among cars is required. I think back in Gran Turismo 1, I had a race-modified Camaro Z28, and in either the US vs. Japan or US vs. UK races, I had to race against two other Camaro Z28s with the same paint scheme! Either I faced another clone or two.

To me, if it isn't a car that has several other paintschemes or whatever, it doesn't hurt to have anything but your car. The way opponents are chosen, I think it's kind of strategic. But then, who am I to talk about something like this?

I agree JohnBM01. I was racing the Saleen S7 race under manufacturers in GT4 yesterday and I wanted to watch the replay. My car was black. Saleen only has 3 colors. Yellow, Silver and Black. This was bad, there were 3 black, 2 yellow, and 1 silver. On the replay I switched to watch an AI fly off the road. And I go to go back to me and I don't know where I am. I had to watch for minute to find the one that rammed into the person infront of them.(lol) If they are going to have it be like that, then they need to at least at the bottom of the screen say, "Saleen S7 - Steve" Or something like that. Have the name you entered at the beginning of GT4. Kolyana, I very much agree with you as well.

ya, was just doing the JGTC races again in an un-modified Pitworks Z (GT500 class) and there was another of the exact same car.....i really wish that they would be sure to not have duplicates in races like that, the ones were its street cars, it doesnt matter, but when they are race cars, having two with the same number is rather anoying.....

i also think that the other drivers should have names (in the case of race cars, the car's real driver's name or yours if you are driving it

The names aren't hard to do. I rented TOCA 2 today and there must be hundreds of names generated for the sole purpose of losing to me. :)

AI Drivers with NAMES and even driving personalities would be awesome ... you could develop grudges with some of them, or know that AI "Bob" was better at certain races than others ... it would also mean something to championships when you see "Steve McDougal" taking pole or leading in the points. I'm not sure why everything has to be so faceless and sterile.

I also agree with the points made about identical cars ... as an extreme example I took part in the French championship the other day (2CV version :P) and it was 6 IDENTICAL cars all lined up ... we were ALL the god damn same color.

Does no one at PD look at this and go "Hmmmm ... something not right there."

Allow us to put a numbe ron our car and uniquely number the AI ... allow more colors (! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) something!

Kolyana
AI Drivers with NAMES and even driving personalities would be awesome ... you could develop grudges with some of them, or know that AI "Bob" was better at certain races than others ... it would also mean something to championships when you see "Steve McDougal" taking pole or leading in the points. I'm not sure why everything has to be so faceless and sterile.

I also agree with the points made about identical cars ... as an extreme example I took part in the French championship the other day (2CV version :P) and it was 6 IDENTICAL cars all lined up ... we were ALL the god damn same color.

Does no one at PD look at this and go "Hmmmm ... something not right there."

Allow us to put a numbe ron our car and uniquely number the AI ... allow more colors (! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) something!
My point exactly! :sly: 💡

If The makers of the GT series insist on dividing the race events up like they currently do, then it would be a major help, if when you select your car in the garage that maybe a race menu pops up with the races or race events that your car is qualified for. Then just maybe with on press of "X" over the highlited race or race event it would take you there. I seriuosly doubt if there is anyone that enjoys figuring out which race there car can enter. With the much expanded garage and no. of cars in the game it only makes since.

Some Ideals for arcade mode. When say player one chooses a car, have players 2 cars choices be lightly highlited and maybe organized starting with which car most closely matches player ones car. This would apply if you are picking cars from memory card. Option to set number of laps at start of race, option to choose manual or auto tranny at start of races, options to create series races in two player battle mode, network, or online mode. Compete with A.I. while in two player battle, network, or online mode. Option to set number of A.I. drivers and there strength per each race while in arcade mode.
Option to have full ability to tune cars in arcade mode.

Latest Posts

Back