For street drag cars, which is better and why: turbochargers or superchargers?

United States
United States
bloodykills750
What is the preferred forced induction? I asked this because I have seen a lot of cars with superchargers from factory removed and have turbos installed in their place while others just stick with superchargers.

1/10 effort at being funny, at best.

Anyway, I tried to come up with an answer to FurryBoy’s question, found nothing about this topic other than a Reddit thread. Sounds believable enough, but then again, it’s also Reddit.

What are you defining as street drag cars? Basic sports cars that run the strip occasionally to see what they can achieve/test & tune, but do highway pulls as well? Or cars that are strictly drag-oriented but manage to be street legal like the current Woodward Dream Cruise where they have to drive the cars to each event before participating?

A lot of the big street guys are running twin turbos like my buddy's Nth Moto Viper or the UGR Gallardos/Huracans. Then you have some of the American V8 guys like Vengeance Racing & their GM cars, or the Euro companies such as ESS & their BMW M3/4s that like to run supercharger/procharger setups. It does feel like most of the street cars that like to mix dig racing with highway pulls do lean towards the turbocharged side, but it could be completely different in the realm of tube-chassis/funny-car-esque guys like what shows up on Street Outlaws where the superchargers may provide a better outcome. I don't really follow that side of the "street" racing community, so I can't say for sure what their preferences are.

Honestly, there's no real answer here. It depends entirely on the car & desired setup, which is dictated by the owner usually. Sometimes, there's the factor of what's available or works as well; some guys may only run 1 or the other because their cars don't play nice with the vice versa option.

1/10 effort at being funny, at best.
Perhaps calling out a response for not being helpful (without knowing the context for why the response was made) and then admitting that the extent of your response was that you made Google search wasn't the best way to go.

Back