Game of Thrones - Caution: contains spoilers & dragonsTV 

• Thread starter Villain
  • 862 comments
Having read all the books, I can only agree. I still think HBO has made a fantastic job of turning them into a series, though. :)

I'm halfway through the latest book...so I guess I'll see the next one (Winds Of Winter IIRC) in 2015. :lol:

I discovered Game of Thrones about three months ago.

Since then, I've become completely cuckoo for it, reading all 5 books, watching the previous two season's HBO productions, making posts about it on several websites, and of course watching last night's first installment on the 3rd season.

I think GRR Martin's storytelling ability is on a par with Dickens, and he lifts epic fantasy into full relevance for today's politics and morality.

On top of all that, I came in as a fan of medieval, feudal and castle culture, so my cup of entertainment value is full to the brim. With 15 million GoT books sold and the runaway popularity of the HBO series, I expect GTP folks could derive a lot of pleasure from either the books or the cable TV show.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

DK
I've caught up with S1 & S2, and I've noticed that...

HBO have really diverged from the books. I hope a certain Red thing doesn't happen in S3.

Why would we not want that to happen?
The circumstances surrounding why are still there. If that was to not happen, what about the other aftermath of another wedding?

Why would we not want that to happen?
The circumstances surrounding why are still there. If that was to not happen, what about the other aftermath of another wedding?

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a
Stark family
fanboy.

I agree, I prefer that "______" over any other ones.

Many times while reading the books, I'd stop and say to myself "You've got to be kidding me, George."

Got to get books signed by him at an event, and it was one of those signing where you didn't get to really talk to him. I really wanted to say:

STOP KILLING EVERYONE OFF

There is one positive consequence of
killing loads of people off, and that's being able to imagine what might have been.

Then again, seeing your favourite character betrayed or otherwise killed just gets you down a bit.

The Game of Thrones is an epic fantasy for hip, cynical modern adults.
Betrayal and death are the rewards for good guys, no good deed goes unpunished, and nice guys finish last in their game - as it does in ours. In the world of Westeros, man's hour is almost done as they face the coming long winter and the whitewalkers.

Underneath the outer form of fantasy dragons, castles and courts, lurks the timeless storytelling of a writer equal in skill to Charles Dickens. Fortunately, he has written more lighthearted fare (Dunk and Egg) concerning an earlier epoch in Westeros which is in work for publication and TV production.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Everything I've read on line about this series so far is David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have wanted to get to the Red wedding in the series. That part of the story was their motivation for producing GoT. Expect lots of dead people.

I honestly can't wait for the non-reader ****storm after the "RW". :mischievous:

So far, the only episode I didn't like was episode 7. Bran and Robb's storylines have been weak this season, but those of everyone else are excellent - especially the Halfman's. :D

After having watched the latest episode, I feel dead inside :(.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! :mad:

Still the greatest show ever.

As a book-reader, I
was waiting with bated breath for the non-readers' reactions.

best episode of the season..Robb wont be missed, as he was kinda annoying anyway. Sad about his wife tho.

Edited by Scaff - use spoiler tags next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read all 5 books. Twice.

Sure hope Mr. Martin finishes the series, unlike another author of an epic fantasy, before he dies. Not sure they could find another with his flair for killing off the characters we identify with, so ruthlessly. I keep trying to not like characters just so he won't kill them off. ;):sly:

Read all 5 books. Twice.

Sure hope Mr. Martin finishes the series, unlike another author of an epic fantasy, before he dies. Not sure they could find another with his flair for killing off the characters we identify with, so ruthlessly. I keep trying to not like characters just so he won't kill them off. ;):sly:
If you're talking about The Wheel of Time, personally I thought it got a lot better when Sanderson took over...

But I agree, hopefully GRRM finishes it himself. Although if he doesn't, I'm almost positive that Daniel Abraham would take over and finish it, which would be fine. Similar authors, and Abraham can put out a book in a reasonable amount of time too :sly:

My wife had no interest in reading the books, and I got the privilege of watching her "WTF" look after last night's episode.

If you're talking about The Wheel of Time, personally I thought it got a lot better when Sanderson took over...

But I agree, hopefully GRRM finishes it himself. Although if he doesn't, I'm almost positive that Daniel Abraham would take over and finish it, which would be fine. Similar authors, and Abraham can put out a book in a reasonable amount of time too :sly:

You would be correct, on both counts. Mr. Sanderson was a much appreciated stand in for Jordan. The pace of the story picked up greatly.

Looking forward to my own wife's reaction to the action at the Twins. A little dissappointed that they've chosen to diverge from the books with the Gendry/Edric/Melisandre arc. IIRC she never visited the Brotherhood/Dondarrion and Edric Storm is not in the show as I recall.

And I just noticed Infinital, we are not far geographically speaking.

Read all 5 books. Twice.

There is something hugely ironic about the ultimate character-killer dying before he can kill them all. :lol:

Ok, what the heck happened in season 3, ep. 9? I know what happened lol

I mean, I love this series, but COME ON! :dunce:

Having not read the books, Ep9 has left me wondering where the hell it can go from here. The whole story appears to be setting up for a huge final battle between Daenerys and the Lanisters for the Iron Throne, but what about between then and now? All the other factions appear to be massively reduced in numbers.

Also..
WTF Jon Snow! - Why did you leave without your ginner bird?

Is the 4th season going to be placed upon the 4th book or are they going to continue the 3rd one?

Having read the books, S3 has taken bits from both halves of the 3rd book. There are things that happen in the second half of A Storm of Swords that have been brought forward, and some things that have been pushed back into S4 that would've been in the first half.

Oh, and Theon's maiming. That didn't feature in A Storm of Swords.

Watching Grey winds eyes close under the gate was the worst part.

This. I was like NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo. Well troughout the entire sequence, but that was like the final blow.

After last weeks episode, I think this is appropriate:

52067-Game-of-Thrones-meme--You-have-cECW.jpeg

Back