GT 7 Bugs

United States
United States
I'm new to the GT series; got GT7 for Christmas. I bought a GR1 race car and in a GR1 race today (this has happened before in a different race and car), I was on a very long 8-lap race in Europe (I believe the prize was 250 credits) and I was in first place. On lap 6, coming out of a long straight, the car suddenly slowed down to 2d gear and I couldn't shift up (car is setup as auto). As I mentioned, this happened on another race (not this one) where, again, I was in 1st place and the car suddenly slowed down to 2d gear and would not change. I had to get out of GT7. This is infuriating. This needs to be fixed.

Equipment: Sony PlayStation 5 with VR2. Using a controller to drive; controller is set up to use right button for accelerator and left for brake and turn controller like a steering wheel (last controller option).

One other issue I encountered today: I completed the first four GT championship races yesterday and came back to do the fifth today; was in 1st place. Came in 1st in the 5th race; however, instead of getting my prize money, the game told me I was in offline mode (one of our Internet connections failed during the night). So, I switched to a different connection and went back in but the game said I was on my last race. The game should have saved the results and when the network was reestablished, should have given me the credit of the race I won. Or, I should have been advised, before the race, that I was offline. Neither occurred and I had to do the race over again. This should be addressed.

I'm new to the GT series; got GT7 for Christmas. I bought a GR1 race car and in a GR1 race today (this has happened before in a different race and car), I was on a very long 8-lap race in Europe (I believe the prize was 250 credits) and I was in first place. On lap 6, coming out of a long straight, the car suddenly slowed down to 2d gear and I couldn't shift up (car is setup as auto). As I mentioned, this happened on another race (not this one) where, again, I was in 1st place and the car suddenly slowed down to 2d gear and would not change. I had to get out of GT7. This is infuriating. This needs to be fixed.
Did you have a penalty?

Try this.

Screenshot_15.png

Did you have a penalty
You have all provided excellent information that, now, I need to review. Either penalties or fuel could have been my issue; I'll check.

Famine, I suspect this is the issue based upon what I've read. I suspect I would have regained power after some time period. Thank you!

Thank you, TumeK5! While I don't think this was my issue, I also didn't know I could run out of fuel at my player level (actually, I didn't know I could run out of fuel, period...).

You need to keep an eye on the fuel gauge in (most) long races. You refuel in the pit lane when it starts to get low.
Clinton Ducks, I will do that from now on - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Famine, I suspect this is the issue based upon what I've read. I suspect I would have regained power after some time period. Thank you!
Keep an eye out for penalties - they do flash in red on your screen, so should be hard to miss!

Depending on the race you may find you are forced into a slow down at a specific slow zone (marked in yellow at the edges of the track) and there'll be a yellow notification beneath your penalty counting down to the slow zone.

It will decelerate you, eventually to 50mph if your penalty is enormous (but we're talking 2.5s or more), and with auto gears that'll shift you down to the most appropriate gear too.

To all of you who provided me data, my problem (verified in the same race today) was out-of-fuel. The track was St. Croix, 8 laps, 56 miles I think. When I started, I noticed two bars and as I drove laps, the bars went down. After the 5th lap, I pulled in and changed my tires and gassed up. I finished 1st in my SRT Tomahawk X VGT.

FYI, for your Monday humor, I'm a retired Army officer, was a corporate applications and IT senior manager and I'm in my 70s. I wrote my first game in 1981. I was an engineering fellow at a government contractor, the chief of architecture and systems engineering in the federal government, and a professor in the college of computer science and technology; both my doctorates are in the computer field. Normally, I play computer games on my PC (currently playing Jedi Survivor) but since my wife bought the PS5 and VR2 for Christmas, I've been playing Switchback VR (completed game at second difficulty), playing GT7, and Red Matter 2 VR.

Once again, thank you all for your excellent input!

Dr. Nicholas Shaw, PhD, a.k.a. DrRazorDoom ("Dr" because of my PhD's, "Razor" because that's what I called myself in the Need-for-Speed series many years ago, and "Doom" because I played a lot of "Doom" from Id Software after retiring (started out with Wing Commander II and Castle Wolfenstein to name a couple). :-)

Keep an eye out for penalties - they do flash in red on your screen, so should be hard to miss!

Depending on the race you may find you are forced into a slow down at a specific slow zone (marked in yellow at the edges of the track) and there'll be a yellow notification beneath your penalty counting down to the slow zone.

It will decelerate you, eventually to 50mph if your penalty is enormous (but we're talking 2.5s or more), and with auto gears that'll shift you down to the most appropriate gear too.
Thank you, Famine, after doing some more reading of the online manual, I saw pictures of what you speak of; however, I never saw anything saying 'penalty'. :-)

With vr you only get penalty notifications when race info is enabled. I’d imagine most will have this disabled, as i have since the first week of vr, as it floats the info directly in your view..and is annoying as heck, and of course, untoggagable on the fly.

Makes going through the penalty zone feel like a roll of the dice, every time, in sport mode.

Have to admit, its surprising to be almost a full year into psvr2 with zero updates to anything.

The non penalty notification in VR can be a source of amusement. When I sometimes go completely off track or send some other driver flying I wince at the yellow penalty markers as I am about to pass them and when the engine rpm keeps rising I actually start laughing out loud in delight and surprise. So penalty zones can actually be nice when expecting the worst.

With vr you only get penalty notifications when race info is enabled. I’d imagine most will have this disabled, as i have since the first week of vr, as it floats the info directly in your view..and is annoying as heck, and of course, untoggagable on the fly.

Makes going through the penalty zone feel like a roll of the dice, every time, in sport mode.

Have to admit, its surprising to be almost a full year into psvr2 with zero updates to anything.
Since I use VR2, that could also have happened; however, I do know that I have run out of gas - have to look closely at dash to find fuel level.

Since I use VR2, that could also have happened; however, I do know that I have run out of gas - have to look closely at dash to find fuel level.
Did you know you can adjust the amount of fuel your cars consume? You have to have the adjustable ECU installed first, and then when you’re in a race flick through the pages of your MFD until you find Fuel Map, and there you can adjust between factors of 1 to 6, 1 being most power and highest fuel consumption, and 6 being the opposite. You can squeeze a couple of extra laps out of a full tank that way, comes in handy sometimes.

Did you know you can adjust the amount of fuel your cars consume? You have to have the adjustable ECU installed first, and then when you’re in a race flick through the pages of your MFD until you find Fuel Map, and there you can adjust between factors of 1 to 6, 1 being most power and highest fuel consumption, and 6 being the opposite. You can squeeze a couple of extra laps out of a full tank that way, comes in handy sometimes.
It is more beneficial to manually swith gears and simply shift up early.
Comparing speed and fuel consumption, this is better in both cases comparing to adjusting the fuel map.
There might be use cases for changing the fuel map, like reducing tyrewear, or changing on the fly when following someone up close, or in corners where you simply dont want all the power.

Comparing speed and fuel consumption, this is better in both cases comparing to adjusting the fuel map.
There might be use cases for changing the fuel map, like reducing tyrewear, or changing on the fly when following someone up close, or in corners where you simply dont want all the power.
A combination of both, including lifting and coasting is the best strategy

Yeah sure but these more ‘advanced’ (let’s say) fuel saving techniques are maybe less beneficial than the fuel map right now to someone who didn’t even know fuel consumption was a thing until a few days ago. Short shifting and other pro racing techniques would come in to play later when you’re racing online at higher levels, not racing the AI still getting through the menu books. Always best to ease into head boggling, no?

Last edited:
Back