GT7. Different performance playing at 60hz and 120hz?

• Thread starter praiano63
  • 8 comments
Brazil
paracuru
praiano63
Are you faster playing at 120hz on tracks asking precision with your wheel input ? Or it's the same for you talking about lap time ? Or are you just more constant doing regulars lap times ??
Is it worth to buy a 120hz tv or monitor ?

It's just preference. You aren't operating with pixel precision movements, so there's no performance advantage beyond what you like the feel of most.

The short answer is what @Nebuc72 said. The longer answer is that, unless your reflexes are in the top 1% and your TV/monitor supports VRR (over HDMI; VRR over DisplayPort won't cut it as the PS5 doesn't support DP), you're no faster with a 120 Hz monitor.

At 60 Hz (or fps), the image refreshes every 0.0167 seconds, much faster than most people can discern, much less react. Further, if one has VRR disabled, GT7 will run at 60 Hz most of the time. I'm only rarely able to get the full 120 Hz on my 120 Hz/VRR-enabled monitor.

The bigger benefit is enabling VRR. In the instances where GT7 (or another PS5 game) drops below 60 fps, your experience will only drop by the drop in fps. Without VRR, the points where GT7 drops below 60 fps will cause the images to only be refreshed at 30 Hz/fps, and that is very noticeable. Don't get me wrong; the slowdown in certain situations (heavy rain and traffic) is still noticeable with VRR, but it happens far less often.

It's just preference. You aren't operating with pixel precision movements, so there's no performance advantage beyond what you like the feel of most.

The short answer is what @Nebuc72 said. The longer answer is that, unless your reflexes are in the top 1% and your TV/monitor supports VRR (over HDMI; VRR over DisplayPort won't cut it as the PS5 doesn't support DP), you're no faster with a 120 Hz monitor.

At 60 Hz (or fps), the image refreshes every 0.0167 seconds, much faster than most people can discern, much less react. Further, if one has VRR disabled, GT7 will run at 60 Hz most of the time. I'm only rarely able to get the full 120 Hz on my 120 Hz/VRR-enabled monitor.

The bigger benefit is enabling VRR. In the instances where GT7 (or another PS5 game) drops below 60 fps, your experience will only drop by the drop in fps. Without VRR, the points where GT7 drops below 60 fps will cause the images to only be refreshed at 30 Hz/fps, and that is very noticeable. Don't get me wrong; the slowdown in certain situations (heavy rain and traffic) is still noticeable with VRR, but it happens far less often.
I don't have 120hz monitor for the moment , but when i play with my PSVR2 , i can see that there is no lag between my wheels inputs and the wheel in the video.
I can clearly a bigger lag on my wheel when i play on my 60hz TV. For example oversteers are more diffucult to control because this lag kill my reaction time.
Because of this , i was wondering if this mode is not faster , more precision in your inputs can turn you more regular lap after lap.
Thanks for your responses.

I don't have 120hz monitor for the moment , but when i play with my PSVR2 , i can see that there is no lag between my wheels inputs and the wheel in the video.
I can clearly a bigger lag on my wheel when i play on my 60hz TV. For example oversteers are more diffucult to control because this lag kill my reaction time.
Because of this , i was wondering if this mode is not faster , more precision in your inputs can turn you more regular lap after lap.
Thanks for your responses.
I don't think the PSVR2 has true VRR, but it is a 90/120 Hz monitor, so it will run at 90 fps, 120 fps and whole fractions of either (60, 45, 40, 30).

As for the lag, I suspect that the PSVR2 screens are low latency, while your TV is not a low-latency display. Latency of the panel/screen, which is the delay between a display's receipt of a frame and its display of that frame, is the other variable I didn't mention earlier.

Most TVs, especially older ones, have rather high latency. I've seen many have over 100 ms (or 0.1 seconds) latency, which in a fast-paced gaming environment is quite noticeable. Gaming monitors and more-recent TVs with gaming modes have latencies of under 20 ms.

I haven't noticed and difference in my lap times, but for a long while I played at 60hz. Was totally happy with it. Then some random day I was in the settings menu and noticed 120hz was an option, so I turned it on. The game felt strange at first. Too fluid, too much like a simulation. I kind of forced myself to continue to use 120hz even though it was strange. Now 120hz is all I use. I still have not gotten any faster because of it.

I'm an average driver not matter if with 60hz or >60hz, but the game looks and feels "faster" with vrr/120hz :D
while your TV is not a low-latency display.
TVs & monitors that support VRR should also support ALLM (automatic low latency mode => disable post processing by the tv/monitor and display the data that arrives from the source)

I've bought a Tv TCL C645 Qled 55 4k . It come with option 120hz but 2K and DLG (Dual Line Gate) , They say it have a very low latency . In a few days i'll be able to check this by my self.

Even that being the case that refresh rate is much faster than eye recognition, increasing the refresh rate still improves reaction speed by the tiny amount of additional information that the increased refresh rate over the slower rate - because our body doesnt handle information in digital steps buts as analogue streams of data ;)

And then considering it might be that 0.01s that makes me take a corner sooner or later has impact on how much speed I can carry, which then impacts my speed at the next corner and so on.
Yet to make this any worth at the end of a race, it still requires a driver to be very consistent, otherwise it is lost on a random bad reaction anyway.

Back