headphones question

• Thread starter stepvan
  • 5 comments
GTP_stepvan
Hi, i would like to use headphones whilst playing on the PS3. I s there a way of connecting headphones to the PS3 or do i have to go via the TV? Would the sound be better via the PS3 or the TV?

Cheers

Steve

It would be easier to connect via the TV, and your sound quality should be great. I used to play a bit of PS3 with headphones on from the TV and provided you have a decent set of headphones you will get a great audio experience from it.

Last edited:
I run my headphones from the TV and it's fantastic quality, I have plugged them directly from the PS3 with a L&R audio channel into headphone Jack adapter, problem was I didn't have volume contol and even if my headphones had volume control the sound wasn't strong/loud enough from the PS3 in the first place.

Plus for this you would have to have your PS3 using either AV or Component all the time.

thanks... I think I will buy headphones with volume control.
Thanks for the info.

Nooooooooo.

The volume was weak on the volume straight from the PS3's AV connection because that signal is supposed to be amplified. The TV has an amplifier in it.

Buy better headphones and plug them into your TV. The difference in sound quality would be undetectable. Headphones with "volume control" are 1) cheap and usually crappy, and 2) they use attenuation to control the sound. That is, the volume isn't boosted, it just gets muffled.

You could get a (headphone) amplifier and plug the digital or analog signal from the PS3 into it, but that would be very expensive and you won't notice a difference compared to just plugging into the TV.

thanks... I think I will buy headphones with volume control.

I think you miss-understood me, don't bother with headphones with volume control and don't bother trying to connect headphones directly to your PS3 for exactly the reasons Omnis mentioned.

I only mentioned connecting direct to the PS3 as I have done it (because I had an adapter lying around) and I was pointing out why you shouldn't bother going that route.

Back