How does weight reduction effect your car??

• Thread starter mamann
  • 12 comments
mamann10
weight reduction when you do it on a car doesn't that affect the way the car handles? I would say it does...If the car is tuned for its given weight and you change the weight doesn't it change how it handles? I read about it motor was placed at center of gravity which I would think it takes the given weight into account, and if you change the weight it would change the center of gravity?? Now I am not sure I know what I am talking about so walk on me softly...:sly:

Last edited:
Less weight in a car = better acceleration, cornering ability and braking. And in response to your question about if the car is tuned for a given weight and that changes, well change the tune!

less weight in a car = better acceleration, cornering ability and braking. And in response to your question about if the car is tuned for a given weight and that changes, well change the tune!

+1.

As long you don't mess up with the weight distribution i think it will be similar to a gain of hp: Power to weight ratio increase.

However IRL a weight reduction in most cases increase the body rigidity (carbon fiber) and affects other properties of the vehicle.

Well I lost you on the center of gravity part, Google will be more help than me but in short yes in most all cases weight reduction will help your car handle better because in most scenarios a heavier car will not as nimble and it will tend to have more body roll therefore resulting in a slower car, while a lighter car can be a lot more nimble with less body roll. I'm sure there is a huge theory somewhere that I could come up with but i'd probably lose you along the way and probably even myself. ;)

Body roll isn't always an issue with heavy cars but it's pretty safe to say that being "nimble" is. Nimble including accelerating, cornering, and braking.

However IRL a weight reduction in most cases increase the body rigidity (carbon fiber) and affects other properties of the vehicle.[/QUOTE]

I got a car in a trade the other day and I already had the car but I wanted another one...the one I traded for has had a lot of weight reduction done to it and it drives like cramp. The one I already had drives find. so I was thinking the wt. reduction mess it up.

You sure? Check its tune and possibly try driving it a different way, if HP is roughly the same as the other one it should be alot faster on the same tyres.

[/QUOTE]I got a car in a trade the other day and I already had the car but I wanted another one...the one I traded for has had a lot of weight reduction done to it and it drives like cramp. The one I already had drives find. so I was thinking the wt. reduction mess it up.[/QUOTE]

It's more than likely the tune setup if you traded for it, the tune setup being the suspension, differential, brake balance, engine power limiter, etc...

Try checking what kind of tires are on the car as well. 👍

I read about it motor was placed at center of gravity which I would think it takes the given weight into account, and if you change the weight it would change the center of gravity??

The only time when the center of gravity is changed, is when the vehicle is raised or lowered.

weight reduction when you do it on a car doesn't that affect the way the car handles? I would say it does..

Yes, your right. But, it depends also where the weight is being shaved off. Lets take extreme platforms such as a FF (front engine, front wheel drive) and a RR (rear engine, rear wheel drive) in account. When you take the weight off a FF the car will tend to under steer more, because the weight has been removed from the rear and the engine is up front being pulled by the front wheels. On RR (even MR) cars, the weight has been taken off the middle and front of the car causing it to over steer more, because the engine is in the rear being pushed by the rear wheels.

I hope this helps you understand:)

It effects the car in every single way, braking, turning, acceleration, all can be done more efficiently with less power with less weight.

Back