I tune M3 suspensions

• Thread starter Cookie1893
  • 29 comments
Cookie1893
My name is Alex and My all time favorite thing to do on gt5 (other than cruising around online) is tuning cars. I can tune cars to really perform. Over the last 2 months of tuning friends cars I have recently got into a BMW M3 crave. I tuned the suspension on my 2004 M3 and it took corners like no other car I have ever driven. After buying every single M3 in the game I have spent countless hours perfecting the M3s suspension and I thought I would turn it into sort of a buisness. If anyone would like there M3 tuned please give me a chance and send your car to me for tuning. I am not currently asking for anything other than good feedback on my online wall. I can tune any car you want but I only guarantee M3s will shave atleast 10 secs off your current lap times. I will have your car sent back to you within the week depending on my schedule. My psn name is Cookie1893 and I hope to be tuning your cars soon. Thanks and happy racing!

you say you have a killer tune, why not just post your tunes for the different models and allow us to test. Always willing to test out a tune.
What tracks and times are you basing these settings on?
With psn being down, how are we suppose to send you cars?

Shave 10 seconds off my lap tome in my M3 guaranteed?

Are you sure about that?

lol maybe not mine but good luck with the Specialty Garage.

Be interested to see your results. I've been hacking away at the '07 M3, I've got it running very sweetly. Sony needs to hurry up and fix PSN, the longer it's down, the less interest I have in playing GT5. This game is a waste without online capability.

My M3 is restricted to under 500bhp and over 1500kg. I'd love to see your spring rates and dampers for this lardy barge. The car is now capable of sub 1:29s around Trial Mountain and the tyres will still give you low 1:30-33s after 5 or 6 hot laps...

Shave 10 seconds off my lap tome in my M3 guaranteed?

Are you sure about that?

10 seconds is entirely possible. I've shaved the better part of 7 seconds off my laptimes with this car. I haven't got the full build record with me, it goes a little something like this:

Suspension (Build_01) + Stage 1 Weight + Windows + Bonnet + Rigidity + Ballast + Driveshaft + FC Tyranny + Single Plate Clutch + Intake Manifold + Racing Filter.

A whole bunch of M3s were posted just before I was going to post mine. In the meantime, I'll be waiting until PSN is back up before I can post results I'm happy with...

{Cy}

I tuned an M3 on Madrid with racing medium tires and 530hp 1342kg with a Time of 1:23.106 let me know if you can improve on it because I need to help my friend out with this car.

<snip> I can tune any car you want but I only guarantee M3s will shave atleast 10 secs off your current lap times. /<snip>

Uhm.... seriously? I might take you up on your offer... just to see what setup you would come up with :)

M3 `04, 500pp, Sports Soft ok?

Last edited:
Uhm.... seriously? I might take you up on your offer... just to see what setup you would come up with :)

M3 `04, 500pp, Sports Soft ok?

With or without a Wing?

No Powerlimiting or max 5%?

and no Weight add/shift

Edit:

1:19 Deep Forest
1:31 Trial Mountain
0:58 Tsukuba
7:16 N-Ring

Settings:

Downforce : 0/16
Power : 349 bhp (Powerlimit -5%)
Weight : 1277 kg
PP : 500
Tyres : Sport Soft
Aids : ABS 1 only
Grip : Real
Damage : Light

raVer

Last edited:
With or without a Wing?
No Powerlimiting or max 5%?
and no Weight add/shift

Edit:

1:19 Deep Forest
1:31 Trial Mountain
0:58 Tsukuba

Settings:
Downforce : 0/16
Power : 349 bhp (Powerlimit -5%)
Weight : 1277 kg
PP : 500

raVer

Ehm... I was about to take Cookie up on his word on the 10 sec improvement.. how come you are now submitting times?!

Ehm... I was about to take Cookie up on his word on the 10 sec improvement.. how come you are now submitting times?!

I liked this challenge.
If you have better times , post them.
I´d like to see if Cookie can beat them by 10secs.

raVer

Yep, I'd be curious to see if he can shave 10 seconds off even at the Ring vs default settings but w/ all parts installed.

I could see 10 secs at the ring, or the even bigger version (24hr?).
Maybe SS7, Indy and Daytona, if the default tranny max's out low enough :P
It's a big claim to back up, but it got the attention I'm sure he was looking for.

Mine has 531 hp all upgraded except for trans. No wing no ballast racing soft althought it probably will work for any tires. I'll post my tuning for all my m3s when I get home. Also I'll run my 07 and 04 at the tracks stated above and tell my times.

07 m3----- ride height -15 front -10 rear
spring rate 9.5 front 13.5 rear
dampers 4 front 4 rear
dampers compression 7 front 6 rear
anti roll bars 6 front 5 rear
camber 3.2 front 2.8 rear
toe angle 0 front 0.20 rear
all on racing soft tires fully upgraded with all weight taken off

07 m3----- ride height -15 front -10 rear
spring rate 9.5 front 13.5 reardampers 4 front 4 rear
dampers compression 7 front 6 rear
anti roll bars 6 front 5 rear
camber 3.2 front 2.8 rear
toe angle 0 front 0.20 rear
all on racing soft tires fully upgraded with all weight taken off

Your spring rates already fail for me unfortunately. I've had to reverse them to get understeer out of the car (probably related to the tuning menu mess-up courtesy of PD).

Where is this tuning mess bit coming from? The damping and anti-roll bars have always had more effect than spring rates since day one anyways, nothing has changed in patches, and I highly doubt PD missed a flaw that large if this was not how they designed it. I think the tuning system overall is poorly designed and shows how mechanical the GT5 tune system is rather than actually relying on user input variables. The reality of the situation is that with so many cars being attempted to be given life like qualities and performance time translations to a virtual environment that many hidden constant variables had to be defined for each, leaving the tuning parameters to have less effect than originally intended.

Also, the M3 has a higher motion ration on the rear, which I believe PD's implementation simplifies to 2:1 so 13.5kgf/mm is in effect 6.75kgf/mm at the rear. The higher front than rear anti-roll bars would also make it understeer.

Cookie, I would be glad to try and gain some knowledge from your tunes. I enjoy drifting, but never at the cost of increasing laptime. I want to see how your decisions and ideas compare to the defaults, because I haven't begun tweaking the full custom suspensions in GT5 yet. I've only deviated from the defaults for the powertrain components.

There's only one condition, though. If a car in GT5 doesn't come with racing tires, then I believe that it should never be on racing tires. I also only drive with GR real, SRF off, and damage on heavy. Would you still be willing to tune an M3 under these conditions, for sports tires?

I'll be friending you when PSN comes back online, if you want to do this. My PSN is: BRADKINDER

Go into your garage and select a car with a large variance in min/max ride height, at least 60 mm. Look carefully at the wheel gap between the top of the front tire and the front fender as well as the gap between top of the rear tire and the rear quarter panel. Set the front to min and the rear to max, then look again. Now set the front to max and the rear to min and look yet again. Tell me if you still think ride height is reversed.

For the last time, nothing is reversed in this game.

Go into your garage and select a car with a large variance in min/max ride height, at least 60 mm. Look carefully at the wheel gap between the top of the front tire and the front fender as well as the gap between top of the rear tire and the rear quarter panel. Set the front to min and the rear to max, then look again. Now set the front to max and the rear to min and look yet again. Tell me if you still think ride height is reversed.

I usually agree with you on most things I come across in this forum, but in this case, you simply didn't read the thread. Whether they are reversed or not, I have no clue, but you're arguing a point, that no one is claiming. That's my issue with your response. The thread is about the front & rear being reversed on the physics side of the equation, as they've admitted the visual side is clearly correct.

My apologies to the OP for temporarily going off topic:

As Adrenaline adriotly pointed out, read the thread: some of the best drivers on this board have verified it (WRS Gold Division racers).

You are assuming that just because a high rear ride height setting correlates to a high rear ride height visual, there is no bug. You dont consider that even though visually there appears to be a large rear ride height, the physics engine reads its as a low ride height. :dopey:

Again, apologies Cookie and anyone who wants to contribute to this debate should take it to that thread. I just pointed out that in my experience with the 07 M3, a regular spring rate for a FR doesnt work. This is not the thread for the bug discussion.

I usually agree with you on most things I come across in this forum, but in this case, you simply didn't read the thread. Whether they are reversed or not, I have no clue, but you're arguing a point, that no one is claiming. That's my issue with your response. The thread is about the front & rear being reversed on the physics side of the equation, as they've admitted the visual side is clearly correct.

True, I just skimmed the whole thread because I find it ridiculous. From what I gathered the whole notion seems to revolve around the menu itself being backwards, which doesn't jibe with the visuals being correct. The whole phenomenon, if it exists at all, would very likely be due to interacting bell curve nature of various settings as well as the hidden nuances of the physics model. Anyone can view a replay of a car with one end at full soft and the other end at full stiff and see that each end moves exactly like it should.

Anyway, threadjack over. Back on topic. Apologies to OP.

Last edited:
To all the doubters, quit it until there's some tangible results. As per, I've managed to trim the better part of 7 secs off my laptimes around Trial Mountain in the '07 M3, with only a mild upgrades to power and trimming weight. I'm sure that if I threw a load more power at it, I could find that extra 3 secs.

To the OP. You've made bold, sweeping claims. Lets have some results, or I'm gonna kick back and watch these guys chew you a new one. I don't doubt that on certain tracks and throwing enough power at it, you can indeed trim 10 secs off of someone&#8217;s laptimes. However, people want to know how...

Ta,
{Cy}

To all the doubters, quit it until there's some tangible results. As per, I've managed to trim the better part of 7 secs off my laptimes around Trial Mountain in the '07 M3, with only a mild upgrades to power and trimming weight. I'm sure that if I threw a load more power at it, I could find that extra 3 secs.

To the OP. You've made bold, sweeping claims. Lets have some results, or I'm gonna kick back and watch these guys chew you a new one. I don't doubt that on certain tracks and throwing enough power at it, you can indeed trim 10 secs off of someone’s laptimes. However, people want to know how...

Ta,
{Cy}

He already posted the settings, what more do you want?

He already posted the settings, what more do you want?

A million bucks so I don't have to be here at work and PSN to be up and running so I can spend the rest of my life racing online..??

Other than that, how about someone buys the car, records a few laptimes stock, applies the OPs build, records some more laptimes and let the rest of us eager beavers know the results.

Alternatively we can all just sit here bitching and calling BS :indiff:

{Cy}

I only care what the tune will do above default setting with the same parts. Or above what the tune already on it can do.

If he's really claiming his tune is responsible for the gains that come from increasing power and decreasing weight.

If I add 500 hp to pretty much any car, it's going to be faster the without that extra power.

The gains a tune makes are above the settings defaults.

What if with the default settings people are capable of shaving 11 seconds off their lap time, but only 10 seconds with yours. That would mean your 10 seconds faster tune is really a 1 second slower tune ;)

A million bucks so I don't have to be here at work and PSN to be up and running so I can spend the rest of my life racing online..??

Other than that, how about someone buys the car, records a few laptimes stock, applies the OPs build, records some more laptimes and let the rest of us eager beavers know the results.

Alternatively we can all just sit here bitching and calling BS :indiff:

{Cy}

If I want a 10 secs improvement of my laptimes in a stock car , I don´t need to slap 100000 or more Cr. on the car.
The only thing I need for 10secs Improvement are tyres 2 grades higher than stock ;)

raVer

Well I have a problem with BMW m3 gt2.
Criteria :
- nurburgring n24
- 621bhp
- 1445 kg
- Racing soft
- abs only
My time is 8.13.???
If any one have idea for setup thT will do 8.06.??? Then I'm interested but those targets has to b done in online lobby with real grip ( coz I've noticed online is little bit worse ) thanx in advance

Back