"IE has stopped working."

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 20 comments
United States
Texas
Sorry to bother you guys, but for the third time in as many weeks, GTPlanet, and especially the forum, has almost immediately popped this up. It never gives me a code or a description, so I don't know exactly what is going on. Every other site I use works just fine, even YouTube doesn't act irregularly. I'm on satellite internet, but I don't think that's the cause. Any help is appreciated.

It's highly unlikely the site is causing this. Does it happen on threads with lots of videos or pictures embedded?

Op did say any help is appreciated. So try FF or Chrome. There is a reason why they are the most popular browsers.

What version of Windows and IE are you using?
Windows 8.1 & IE 11.

Op did say any help is appreciated. So try FF or Chrome. There is a reason why they are the most popular browsers.
IE can be a pain, but it covers what I do without much fuss. The slow satellite response has caused more issues than IE since I moved. I tried FF in college, and even on their computers I had many of the same problems I did with my old laptop and IE, and I'm not ready to completely surrender myself to Google.

Try reseting IE settings to default.

Try also a malware/adware clean on windows, stuff like that, it might not be only an IE problem.

Anyway I also recommend to stop using IE, and use Firefox instead. I also recommend Firefox over Chrome because if you use Chrome, Google will know everything about you, I'd rather trust my privacity to little Mozilla who dont collect your data.

Sorry to bother you guys, but for the third time in as many weeks, GTPlanet, and especially the forum, has almost immediately popped this up. It never gives me a code or a description, so I don't know exactly what is going on. Every other site I use works just fine, even YouTube doesn't act irregularly. I'm on satellite internet, but I don't think that's the cause. Any help is appreciated.
I just went to the site on IE in Windows 8.1 and had no issues, so it's not the site.

Under the little gear icon (Settings) click manage add-on's and see if anything suspicious is in there. One more thing, does IE take a while to load? If so, go back to the manage add-on's section and look at the load time for the add-on's. Anything taking a considerable amount more than the other add-on's needs to be looked at. If your not sure what that add-on does, Google it.

It takes forever, but being on satellite kills any speed for anything. Even the auto save can be an issue.

Nothing appears to be out of place, the only thing that gives a waiting time is my anti-virus.

There is a new wrinkle to this now. It would appear that in addition what I've described, It randomly reports that it has stopped working, but after addressing the pop-up, everything comes up.

Windows thinking something isn't working (Not Responding) usually means that it's just running slow, not actually frozen.

Page load speed aside, as that will vary greatly depending on your Internet speed, how quickly does IE itself open to a blank page? If there's a delay there, it's more than likely an extension or possibly malware.

TB
...how quickly does IE itself open to a blank page? If there's a delay there, it's more than likely an extension or possibly malware.
Yeah, that's what I meant to ask but I wasn't descriptive.

(I don't even use an anti-virus program on my computer :P, I think Windows 8 is capable of securing itself.)

TB
Windows thinking something isn't working (Not Responding) usually means that it's just running slow, not actually frozen.

Page load speed aside, as that will vary greatly depending on your Internet speed, how quickly does IE itself open to a blank page? If there's a delay there, it's more than likely an extension or possibly malware.
That doesn't surprise me. As for a blank page, less than a second to fully load, usually about half a second.

I have another update. Currently at my parent's, using their much better internet. I can't access the site at all normally. I'm currently using the InPrivate option as wiping IE has done nothing. It could be this lump of a laptop I'm using, but again nothing else stops IE, and the error is almost instantaneous.

It just seems odd that this one site does it, and that it refuses to work on the faster service. I don't think it's infected, I do think this Toshiba would be better served as a frizbe, but I'm kinda stuck with it. If resetting IE doesn't do it, I'll have to think about it.

I'm not sure what to recommend, other than taking the computer to a professional for a closer look. Thousands of people access the site daily with IE11 and I've not received any other complaints, nor can I recreate the issue.

For now I seem to have found a fix for now. It took a browser reset, but it's working normally for now. When I can find someone I can trust to take a look, I will.

Also, even on faster service, it seems to be running considerably better.

I'm getting similar issues to this, every time I load GTP, the home page is prone to freezing and a message pops up saying "GT Planet is not responding". After multiple attempts at recovering the page eventually I can click on the forum only to repeat the process at the login screen. Once I'm logged in it's all fine.
I run Internet Explorer 9. How would I try resetting the browser, and what else would that effect? (Favourites for example?)

Back