[IMG] Tags not allowed in signature?

Because people put stupidly large pictures as their sig plus it slows down browsing.

Text is fine.
Try making an ASCII image.

From the FAQ:
FAQ
To keep the forum fast and organized in appearance, images (other than smilies) and videos are not allowed in signatures. Instead, use your signature to tell the world about yourself, share your favorite quote, or link to other forum threads or websites that you would like to bring attention to.

Meh.
I'm sure it is possible for the site admin to limit image sizes to some specific number. A 500x200 size limit is fairly small. But I doubt that will ever happen.

But I doubt that will ever happen.
Your doubts are not unfounded. Jordan has decided that images will not appear in signatures for the aforementioned reasons. Why change what already works? Why is it so essential that people be able to post images in their signatures?

I like how Jordan doesn't allow images in signatures, I've seen forums with images in sigs and they aren't pretty.

Your doubts are not unfounded. Jordan has decided that images will not appear in signatures for the aforementioned reasons. Why change what already works? Why is it so essential that people be able to post images in their signatures?

In a game like Gran Turismo where graphics and appearance are huge and Photomode being a huge part of this forum, I'm sure many of the photographers here would like to showcase some of their best into their signatures. I understand the dilemma, people putting huge images into their signatures. But then why not just regulate image sizes that people are allowed to use in their signatures? Lots of other forums do it. I've not seen one forum where
Paint skills . But it seems I'm writing this all in vain.

I'm sure many of the photographers here would like to showcase some of their best into their signatures. I understand the dilemma, people putting huge images into their signatures. But then why not just regulate image sizes that people are allowed to use in their signatures?
Because posting a link to your own dedicated gallery works equally well.

Lots of other forums do it.
Good for them.

But it seems I'm writing this all in vain.
I'd hazard a guess to say yes, you are. It was Jordan's decision to ban the use of image tags in signatures, and it has never been a problem until now. You'll have to take it up with him.

I understand the dilemma, people putting huge images into their signatures.
Then it appears you have answered your own question as to why it is not allowed.

Last edited:
In a game like Gran Turismo where graphics and appearance are huge and Photomode being a huge part of this forum, I'm sure many of the photographers here would like to showcase some of their best into their signatures. I understand the dilemma, people putting huge images into their signatures. But then why not just regulate image sizes that people are allowed to use in their signatures?

The other reason for not allowing images is so that - the theory goes - posters draw attention to themselves with well thought out, informative, high quality posts, and not with brightly coloured images that scream 'LOOKATMELOOKATMELOOKATME' without actually adding anything constructive.

Images - even small ones - slow down page loading times, too. That's fine in an image-specific thread, such as a Photomoder's thread, but not needed in a thread like this one.

Lots of other forums do it.

Lots of other forums allow swearing or nudity too. GTP doesn't, and is all the better for it.

Just remember it has to fit within the maximum signature allowence of 6 lines.

I'm completely in favor of the no-images-in-sigs policy. It starts looking pretty cluttered when a thread has a number of two- or three-line posts, all of which are accompanied by a (relatively) huge graphic that contributes nothing whatsoever to the discussion. Not to mention that the images draw attention away from the post itself

Even if an image is tasteful, clever and not too obnoxious (and that would not be true of some images in sigs) they get pretty old the hundredth or thousandth time you have to scroll past it.

If I want to see your gallery I'll click on a link to it in your sig. Otherwise don't try to force it or parts of it on me.

I have to point out that your current signature actually violents the AUP from GTPlanet (the term 'Japanese' is not allowed). Don't want to play forum police though, don't get me wrong.

Meh.
I'm sure it is possible for the site admin to limit image sizes to some specific number. A 500x200 size limit is fairly small. But I doubt that will ever happen.

500x200 is still obnoxiously large when people are frequent in a thread - I have little interest to see somene's "banner" posted half a dozen times per page of a thread. Many other forums are obnoxious for allowing images at all, and I've found it isn't a big deal when you think about it. Just link to your gallery or what not if you want to share something; I manage just find and I'm a photographer that likes to share his work quite often.

I have to point out that your current signature actually violents the AUP from GTPlanet (the term 'Japanese' is not allowed). Don't want to play forum police though, don't get me wrong.

You clearly do though, as you could have just reported him or PM'd him about it. Or even just left a message on his profile.

Jordan stated on Forzaplanet that he wasn't even enabling BB Code for Color because he likes clean signatures.

Personally, I hate going to forums where the Signature is larger than the post itself. It's just silly.

Simulated images in signatures...now!

Why is this?

280px-5th_Cadillac_Seville_.jpg

Because people put stupidly large pictures as their sig plus it slows down browsing.

Text is fine.

280px-Cadillac_Cimarron_2_--_07-01-2009.jpg

TB

Meh.

I like how Jordan doesn't allow images in signatures, I've seen forums with images in sigs and they aren't pretty.

In a game like Gran Turismo where graphics and appearance are huge and Photomode being a huge part of this forum, I'm sure many of the photographers here would like to showcase some of their best into their signatures. I understand the dilemma, people putting huge images into their signatures. But then why not just regulate image sizes that people are allowed to use in their signatures? Lots of other forums do it. I've not seen one forum where [ IMG ] tags were banned from being put into signatures. This is the only forum and it surprises me because I'm sure there are many people with Photoshop/Paint skills . But it seems I'm writing this all in vain.

Surely not in vain - wasn't your question answered, Red?

Because posting a link to your own dedicated gallery works equally well.

Good for them.

I'd hazard a guess to say yes, you are. It was Jordan's decision to ban the use of image tags in signatures, and it has never been a problem until now. You'll have to take it up with him.

Then it appears you have answered your own question as to why it is not allowed.

Roo
The other reason for not allowing images is so that - the theory goes - posters draw attention to themselves with well thought out, informative, high quality posts, and not with brightly coloured images that scream 'LOOKATMELOOKATMELOOKATME' without actually adding anything constructive.

Images - even small ones - slow down page loading times, too. That's fine in an image-specific thread, such as a Photomoder's thread, but not needed in a thread like this one.

Lots of other forums allow swearing or nudity too. GTP doesn't, and is all the better for it.

Just remember it has to fit within the maximum signature allowence of 6 lines.

I'm completely in favor of the no-images-in-sigs policy. It starts looking pretty cluttered when a thread has a number of two- or three-line posts, all of which are accompanied by a (relatively) huge graphic that contributes nothing whatsoever to the discussion. Not to mention that the images draw attention away from the post itself

Even if an image is tasteful, clever and not too obnoxious (and that would not be true of some images in sigs) they get pretty old the hundredth or thousandth time you have to scroll past it.

If I want to see your gallery I'll click on a link to it in your sig. Otherwise don't try to force it or parts of it on me.

500x200 is still obnoxiously large when people are frequent in a thread - I have little interest to see somene's "banner" posted half a dozen times per page of a thread. Many other forums are obnoxious for allowing images at all, and I've found it isn't a big deal when you think about it. Just link to your gallery or what not if you want to share something; I manage just find and I'm a photographer that likes to share his work quite often.

You clearly do though, as you could have just reported him or PM'd him about it. Or even just left a message on his profile.

Jordan stated on Forzaplanet that he wasn't even enabling BB Code for Color because he likes clean signatures.

Personally, I hate going to forums where the Signature is larger than the post itself. It's just silly.

...that's why.

280px-97-99_Cadillac_Catera_.jpg

Last edited:
Back