Kurtis-Kraft Midget 'Snook Offy' 1948

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 10 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents the Kurtis-Kraft Midget 'Snook Offy'. Is one of the world's most significant midget race cars.
This would be a very funny race car to drive in GT6 or GT7 and if it will come as base model with many different colors, that would be awesome.

687atj.jpg

Despite its odd proportions and relative obscurity, the Kurtis-Kraft Midget is a bigger car than its name suggests… Well, actually its name is perfectly apt at describing the car's diminutive dimensions. But that innocent little label doesn't even begin to hint at how successful and formidable a racing car the Kurtis-Kraft Midget was. Now a largely unknown car from a largely unknown maker, the Midget was effective and efficient in its time as it lapped the small oval racetracks on which it competed.

Neither pretty nor prestigious, the Midget possessed a trait more important than either of those characteristics: authenticity. The Kurtis-Kraft Midget was an authentic racing car, purpose-built to dominate the increasingly popular field of midget car racing. Simple and unpretentious, the Midget was a timeless (and long-lived) example of an idea that just worked—and that idea worked well enough to earn Kurtis-Kraft a reputation for building one of the finest and most accomplished midget racers of the time.

Kurtis-Kraft was never a household name. Predominantly a builder of focused racing cars to compete at major events (most notably the Indianapolis 500), the company's production figures were never high. But, at least amongst car enthusiasts, Kurtis-Kraft deserves recognition for its success. Its Indy cars, powered by the famed Offenhauser four-cylinder engine, won the Indianapolis 500 in 1950 and 1951, and then again in 1953, 1954, and 1955.

Midget racers of the Kurtis-Kraft Midget era didn't feature the same safety precautions as today's machines, but still possessed explosive power-to-weight ratios. Hot engines and low weights ensured that these midget machines, even at half a ton, provided a whole handful of thrills.

The Kurtis-Kraft Midget'Snook Offy' was born in 1948 in Frank Kurtis' shop as chassis number 272. Originally fitted with an Eddie Meyers V8-60, it was sold new to Hanley 'Cadillac' Booth of Oklahoma City. Through subsequent owners the V8-60 was replaced with a 100 Offenhauser engine. Dean Ewing was commissioned to fabricate the one-off nose and grill.

In 1954, it was sold to Louis Snook of Charlotte, Texas. He aggressively campaigned the car to the top of the sport until 1968. Some of the best and hottest drivers in the business were put into the cockpit by Snook. Drivers included A.J. Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Don Edmunds and a long list of other well-known drivers.

Specifications:
Manufacturer: Frank Kurtis
Production years for series: 1946 - 1962
Production figures: 550 + 600 in kit form

Engine type: S8 2228 cc | 136.0 cu in. | 2.2 L.
Engine location: Front
Drive type: Rear Wheel
Power: 138 hp (101.568 KW) @ 5800 RPM
Torque: 120 Ft-Lbs (163 NM)

o7vln4.jpg

34orfw6.jpg

xkytdh.jpg

HERE IS THE OTHER KURTIS

Last edited:
This would've been absolutely terrifying to drive around the track at speed alone so I can't imagine the fear experienced during the race. Mind blown

I prefer road cars but even I'm genuinely interested in this. A precursor to karts? Whatever it maybe, something this historic yet to appear in a racing/driving game is strange.

Exctly that's the reason who this car should be a part of GT6 or GT7. With a car like this, PD could make the difference of other racing/driving games :sly:

I prefer road cars but even I'm genuinely interested in this. A precursor to karts? Whatever it maybe, something this historic yet to appear in a racing/driving game is strange.

Yes, you can called a kart precursor ... very popular in Australia and USA.
:cheers:

Exctly that's the reason who this car should be a part of GT6 or GT7. With a car like this, PD could make the difference of other racing/driving games :sly:

Yes, those cars would be a fun to drive that's for sure.
PD must take a look at my garage for some cool and historic cars.
:gtpflag:

Back