Lamborghini Miura - the reason it handles as it does

• Thread starter NJ72
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
Cotswolds, UK
doc-shipman
I've seen a few discussions, here and on reddit about how the Miura handles poorly. The same has, to a certain degree, be said for the GT40 in stock form.

The point I'd like to raise is that these cars were built a LONG time ago and - if the graphics are anything to go by - running period appropriate tyres in stock form. The Miura in particular had a well documented 'quirk' with its handling relating to the fuel tanks as well.

So that leads me on, for the miura, to the final point about the way GT works (at least in GTS, I've not done enough testing to say if it does in GT7).

When doing a single race, time trial or lobby event where there is no fuel consumption the game automatically treats the car as though it's running on 0% fuel - which is one of the main factors as to why time trial laps are faster. As such, working on the above, the miura SHOULD handle a bit... erratically in stock form, no?

Does the game really go into so much detail as to simulate the fuel inside the car? Even if it does, I have a hard time believing they would do anything other than add a little extra weigh. Hey, I hope I'm wrong and I haven't done any testing.

Does the game really go into so much detail as to simulate the fuel inside the car? Even if it does, I have a hard time believing they would do anything other than add a little extra weigh. Hey, I hope I'm wrong and I haven't done any testing.
Yes, it does simulate the overall weight of fuel onboard. Don't know if it simulates weight balance shift depending on tank location however.

The ability to add ballast and shift it around leads me to believe that if they simulate a fuel load it's going to be in the correct spot on the car.

The question is this, how do these cars handle in real life? Are they trying to simulate their original tires?

Is the game set up so that the car handles as it would with bias ply tires, or is the game set up for the car to handle like it would with modern radial tires. I don't know the answers to these questions.

I've seen video of the GT40 and it looks really nervous. I have never seen a Miura going fast around corners. I've read articles that say it's chassis and tires made it somewhat nightmarish in the corners.

As they say, never meet your heroes :D

I can believe the Miura is a hand full in real life. The Countach was a miserable car to drive. everything I have read says the car was very heavy to control and designed less with aerodynamics and more "darthvaderism" in mind. Jay Leno owned a Countach for years and you can tell on Leno's garage when he is showing it off the expressions on his face say he is over it.

Last edited:
I doubt the game takes into consideration the tire technology from 50+ years ago other than what is visually represented. You're still able to equip it with the same tires you can any other car (e.g. sport soft, racing soft), different wheels, etc.

However, I do know that Jay Leno owns both a '67 and '69 Miura and notes quite a difference between the two. The former previously owned by Dean Martin IIRC. He has mentioned how the '67's chassis flexes quite a bit while the '69 is noticeably stiffer along with other improvements. .....and both begin to lift at around 120 mph causing a the steering to become a little sketchy.

Last edited:
Took the old bull for a spin yesterday and found the stock setup too weak. First of all it need a stiffer rear swaybar,
and in this not too tuneable game that means a full race-suspension. Added a adjustable diff + semiracing clutch/flywheel
to fresh up the gearshifts a bit. A customiceable ECU comes handy. Kept it soft, near stock. The ECU gives it the SV-versions 385hp

Suspension was set like this: Height F:120, R:115. ARB: 4 on both. Dampers F: 28/50, R:32/50.
Springs F:1.65 R:2.00 Camber F:1.1 R:1.5 toe in untouched

Differencial settings: 8- 55- 35

This is still the same old Lambo, just freshed up to be driveable ;)

Uups, forgot, gave it sportsbrakes

Last edited:
Just took it for a spin on Deep Forrest Sunday Cup 500. In it's off the showroom floor stock form with no assists it's pretty twitchy. If you use proper technique for driving these old rear/mid engine cars it's derivable. I got 2nd behind the A-45 but since the modern cars in the race were well in to the 500pp range stock I'm not surprised. It's got that strange jolt at the edge of lateral G that I have noticed with a lot of the RWD cars in this game with TCS off. It's like the diff locks solid for a half second and jolts the car around. At high G-load it almost looks like the car tips up on 2 wheels when it happens. Is this there way of emulating chassis flex?

Does anybody know if the Miura prototype had already disc brakes or still drum brakes? I know the production one had discs, but the prototype in GT feels a bit like drums in my opinion

The Miura didn't handle well at speed, as it developed aerodynamic lift. Also, it is a powerful car and old tires have much less grip than modern ones. PD reflects this by selling old cars with less grippy comfort tires.
So I think stock old supercars would realistically be a handful. If you equip them with grippier tires, you need to firm up the suspension too. So making these old beasts behave requires a complete suspension tune.

Back