Logitech G27 Wheel center dead zone loosing

• Thread starter artica
  • 17 comments
United States
Concord/N.Carolina/U.S
xarticax
Logitech G27 Wheel center dead zone loosening

My first g27 steering wheel motors became problematic
and failed to center properly and would hang left and loose.

Logitech replaced the wheel under warranty and now the second wheel
feels like the center dead zone is opening up.

first wheel lasted 7 months.
Second wheel lasted only 3 months.

How many other people are experiencing these problems?

[BTW, Wheel strictly used for Drifting]

Last edited:
Welcome to the dodgy G25/27 club !

As you can see from here ,it's a widely known problem that started with the G25 and Logitech failed to address it, it really is quite increadible.

Here's the fix..........
http://www.jlvrh.de/G27_UK.htm

The fix works, I put up with a wheel losing centre for about a year until I read this, works perfectly now.

My problem was the little black wheel with the holes in it, it was slipping on the motor shaft, some super glue did the trick.

A word of warning, the little wheel looks quite big in the pictures, it is actually increadibly small ! Good luck.

I think that is just a gt5: p software bug. Should hopefully be fixed in gt5.

Could be and I sure hope so. It feels lose when I center the wheel all around the center. Maybe it's because the force feedback isn't working at the center of the wheel.

The two issues are seperate things, if you let go of the wheel on a straight and it wobbles, then don't let go of the wheel on the straights.

If your wheel looses centre position, and pulls to the left or right for that matter, then get the screwdriver and glue out............

...if you let go of the wheel on a straight and it wobbles, then don't let go of the wheel on the straights.

*driver pits in, gets out of the car and starts swearing*
Crew Chief: What's wrong? What's going on? Our telemetry says everything's in order!
Driver: I was in top gear coming down the straight, took my hands off the wheel and it started shaking REALLY bad!
CC: Wait, you took your hands off the wheel?
D: Yeah, and then the wheel started jerking back and forth!
CC: Flat out, in 6th gear?
D: You think it might be the tranny?
CC: ...no, I think there's a screw loose somewhere between the seat and the steering wheel.

Crew Chief: What's wrong? What's going on? Our telemetry says everything's in order!
Driver: I was in top gear coming down the straight, took my hands off the wheel and it started shaking REALLY bad!
CC: ...no, I think there's a screw loose somewhere between the seat and the steering wheel.
Haha

Yeah, there's a nut loose behind the steering wheel !

This should be fixed because there were pics of an event when the G27 was used so if it was shaking on straights that would give the guys a bad image.

This should be fixed because there were pics of an event when the G27 was used so if it was shaking on straights that would give the guys a bad image.

It only shakes if you let go of it, even then sometimes you have to give it a nudge to make it start shaking, then it starts to cycle from left to right, like a speed wobble on a motorbike, it's not like it's trying to shake when you are holding it and when you let go it goes crazy.

You don't feel any shake if you hold it normally, like a normal driver would do.

Seriously, it isn't even an issue worth talking about, when it looses it's calibration, now thats a whole different matter...........

Is it suppose to be really lose in the center? I just got my G27. Like I can easily move my wheel with a pinky around the center but not anymore when it pasts around the center area.

It felt like the center dead zone was wider than it should have been. BUT,
my problem has simmered down some due to changes in drift tuning.
I think I kept going deeper into a tune tunnel that kept making the steering wheel looser and looser.
Either way, I thought the dead zone was too wide out of the box to begin with.
Hopefully it is a software issue that will be resolved in GT5 full.

Welcome to the dodgy G25/27 club !

As you can see from here ,it's a widely known problem that started with the G25 and Logitech failed to address it, it really is quite increadible.

Here's the fix..........
http://www.jlvrh.de/G27_UK.htm

The fix works, I put up with a wheel losing centre for about a year until I read this, works perfectly now.

My problem was the little black wheel with the holes in it, it was slipping on the motor shaft, some super glue did the trick.

A word of warning, the little wheel looks quite big in the pictures, it is actually increadibly small ! Good luck.

Can any vouch for the instructions to use loctite on the motor mounts? I fear cracking my g27 open, but it sounds so simple, if that indeed is the problem.

I was talking with a friend today that owns a Subaru Impreza which is quite highly kitted out as far as the odd time track car goes.
And he said with the quick rack installed he said if he was doing a fair speed and let go of the wheel it would shake from side to side and the car would spin out.
This is due to there being a lot less dead zone in a non power steering quick rack.
It also depends on suspension set-up too if the car is too low it tends to make the wheel shake more due increased centre of gravity.
But like my friend went on to say all this don't mean nothing as you shouldn't be letting the wheel go any way fool lol.

So what does this fix do ?
Will it just centre the wheel or will it tighten the wheel in the middle or both ?.

Mine isn't that bad, but I want to prevent it from worsening if possible. It sounds like maybe its the motor mounts getting loose, which looks e-z.

Back