MGS3 Demo!!

• Thread starter RallyF1
  • 19 comments
RallyF1
are you guys telling me that no one in here played the demo yet!!
I guess I will, if nobody beats me to it. I still haven't got my OPM magazine yet. But, it should be here any day now. Oh, and starting a thread to ask one simple question is often poo-pooed.

I haven´t played yet, and probably won´t because I don´t have a DVD burner, and the demo is like 2Gb. And there´s no OPM magazine here either, only if you import, wich makes it too expensive, not worthed.

I picked up the OPM today (on newsstands now!). I played for about.. fifteen minutes. About three of which was actual gameplay.. lol. Usual MGS of lots of talking, introducing the story, etc. Then I paused it for a minute when the phone rang, and the game quit out on me after a minute or so paused! Ah, well... I try later.

From what I saw, the game looks amazing.. same level of detail that was in MGS2, but outdoors.. just watching the grass move as Snake walks through it is neat. Fiddling with the camo is neat, too.. standing up, you're about 10%.. lay down, you're at 30-40%. Lay down in the grass, you're at 75%.. hehe. Should be very interesting to see how that comes into play (I've read some stuff that pointed out how important camo is.. that at 100%, the enemy could step on you and not realize you're there, which is a definite switch from the previous MGS games where if you fell into their range of vision, they ALWAYS saw you).

I paused it before I could begin the actual "full bore game" section of the demo, but it appears that Snake starts out FULLY ARMED.. when I looked at the weapon inventory, it was packed with everything from a pistol, M16, sniper rifle, the works. Should be interesting to see what's there when I go back to play the demo again in a bit.

Mine came in the mail today, and I just got done playing a round. Searching for food is super easy. I already had three crocs, three pythons, a frog, four fruit, two mushrooms and one other snake. This game, overall, is great, but it is a lot different than MGS and MGS2. It feels like a completely different game. Oh, when shooting crocs, one shot to the head does them in. The body takes 5 or 6 shots.

You start off playing as Jack (Big Boss) in the year 1964. You are sent in to make contact with Sokolov. Once you get to him, the demo is over. You start off with a bunch of stuff, like was said earlier, and some of the equipment takes getting use to. The equipment really doesn't offer a huge advantage, as it did in other MGS games, but it is usefull.

This game is hard, because it's so different, but I bet I could complete the demo in five minutes with some practice. I'll play it through a few times and then make another report. The game looks awesome, with the graphics, but gameplay is so different, I'll hold off with a judgment for now. I'm taking my time, because I want to savor the moment.

I said I would write on how the controls are in MGS3, so I am now. I don't like them. Granted, MGS2 had its problems, but it seems it has become worse. Not by much, but it's noticable. It's a big pain trying to run from hornets when Jack has the stupid habbit of stopping and hiding behind anything he can. The hornets just envelope you. So, extra care is needed when running. It is also very hard to perform certain functions in a timely manner, such as aiming at a moving target, trying to roll a barrel on someone, etc. Crawling for food, or for collecting certain items can be a pain, too. Also, there is a lot of slowdown during big gun batlles that also mess with your movements. More then once I got in a situation that needed immediate attention of a shotgun blast, but I missed the chance, because the enemy had fired and moved to a different position. But, everything else about the game is just fantastic.

There is so much food, you needn't worry about starving. Actually, your "stamina level" goes down, and aiming a gun, walking slowly, etc, become very difficult. There is a "life gauge" as well as a staminal gauge, and one of two ways to revive it are by crouching or lying still until it goes back up. The other is to give yourself a "life recovery shot" that will boost you life gauge back to normal, but I only found two in the entire demo, so it looks like crouching for a while is the most popular way to boost your life gauge.

I wont spoil everything about the game, but I will tell of some of the "hidden" things Jack, er-um, "Naked Snake" will do at times. Farting and vomiting were a nice surprise. I cannot remember what food made him fart, but I think it could have been the Magpie bird, or the other black bird. I only ate them once because they're a lot harder to catch than other food, and they don't offer much of a boost in stamina. The Golova fruit, and the Hornets Nest are golden. They taste the best, and make Snake very happy, along with the snakes, an anaconda and python. What made him vomit was the Siberian Ink Cap, which is one of the mushrooms. I picked one, and then ate the next one I picked and he puked. Snake hates the mushrooms, and they offer little boost in stamina. Food can spoil, and the Ink Caps turn black, or "ink" starts to develope on them, which is probably why I vomited when I did.

Well, that's it for now. If you want more details, just ask.

code_kev
I hope you can't shoot cows in it.
No, no cows are in the game. It would be nice to eat some steak, though.

Oh, for those of you who have the demo, kill Sokolov at the end. Kill him by throwing a grenade through the far East side window to the North. A "Time Paradox" appears with the words "continue" but the demo frezes everytime at that point. See if your copy works.

I kill Sokolov when I wast to play the last stage of the demo over again. It's the best one, plus you can go back to the beginning if you want to from that point.

I probably won't play it. As i said in a topic at the GTX the only games i want to play are GT4 and GTA: SA. Out of all recently released and games in development for all systems, those two are the only ones i would probably play.

I'm losing interest in games methinks. :(

presentation is flawless, but what the hell is it with thise cheezie punch lines, like after he get's hold of his back pack he arms himself and says:"let the "mision's name" begin" now that is cheezie.
and what's up with all the talking, i loved MGS2 even when everybody complained about too much dialog. but in MGS3 they talk a lot, and i mean a lot even i noticed it.
but what i hated the most is the use of the codec, do we have to really switch to a screen showing "Jack" kneeling down and using his codec. it's nice and all but switching to that screen takes about 20 seconds, and that's a lot. and if they really wanted it to be true to life, at least when you push select to use the codec make "Snake" take cover before kneeling down.
you can not aim with the M-16, you can only shoot. you can not crouch and move like in splinter cell. and beleive me i bashed splinter cell when it came out, and i will still bash it for it's horrible graphics engine, yes the lighting is awesome but graphically MGS2 and even 1 is better looking. now as for the realism of movement i think Sam Fisher does it more realistically, i thought i would never say it. but as a MGS fan i am sorry to say that they have to do a lot more to impress me.
all in all, great graphics and presentation, not up to the expectaions controls.
but hey, i'm sure the story's got enough twists and turns to keep us on our toes. and Jack in MGS3 is the father of solid snake in MGS1 and MGS2, and the boss that everybody have been talking about through out the years is none other than Solid Snake's MOM. who is in MGS3 as his ground battle advisor, he even calls her boss, which i'm sure Jack get's to bang thus insuring his legacy with Snake and his evil brother. then again it's all a theory :dopey:
let the snakiness begin.

played it today

My anticipation was replaced with awe, then confusion, then frustration, then back to awe, then enjoyment, then it ended.

So....it just basically makes you want to play the actual game.

The demo is not fulfilling.

I was always under the impression they were clones, cloned directly from Big Boss and perhaps "tweaked" slightly to make them better than BB.

We know from the trailers that Boss goes bad. So I'm guessing Jack will kill her at some point in the game, thus earning the name "Big" Boss.

Takumi Fujiwara
Wait, how can Boss be Snake's mom and Jack be the father? Aren't the snake twins clones, not sons?
clones need a vessel to grow in, in the human's case it's the female figure. and when you clone some one all of the features of the living subject or even dead, as long as there is ...........wait a second here. so what the guy said is true, Jack becomes the Big Boss and solid snake and his brother are a copy of him. this means that the metal gear searies still have a long way to go, because Solid Snake in MGS1,2 did not become the Big Boss thus ensuring us the gamers at least two games in the franchise before we get to play him and turn him into the Big Boss.............Damn that is twisted ass story.

kinigitt
played it today

My anticipation was replaced with awe, then confusion, then frustration, then back to awe, then enjoyment, then it ended.

So....it just basically makes you want to play the actual game.

The demo is not fulfilling.
The demo fulfills its purpose. It gives us a taste, and nothing more. You're left with the feeling of wanting more, which is perfect for a demo. I like how they let you play for an unlimited time, but hate how they shut down the demo during the time it takes you to take a wiz. Hmmm, I wonder if I can find an empty milk bottle, then...

What made you feel confused and frustrated? I've played the game inside and out, so if you need help with something, just ask.

What I don't like is the way you throw a captured snake at the enemy. It does nothing. You throw the snake, and they stomp on it, turning it into a ration. Stupid. I hope it gets better than that in the final version of the game. Also, changing the camoflauge is getting really annoying. I've often played the game with bare skin and no face paint, and it's just as good. Also, I once had a better camo ratting with the bare chest and no face paint when I was up in a tree, about to do a hanging pistol shot. Odd, but true.

Solid Lifters
The demo fulfills its purpose. It gives us a taste, and nothing more. You're left with the feeling of wanting more, which is perfect for a demo. I like how they let you play for an unlimited time, but hate how they shut down the demo during the time it takes you to take a wiz. Hmmm, I wonder if I can find an empty milk bottle, then...

What made you feel confused and frustrated? I've played the game inside and out, so if you need help with something, just ask.

What I don't like is the way you throw a captured snake at the enemy. It does nothing. You throw the snake, and they stomp on it, turning it into a ration. Stupid. I hope it gets better than that in the final version of the game. Also, changing the camoflauge is getting really annoying. I've often played the game with bare skin and no face paint, and it's just as good. Also, I once had a better camo ratting with the bare chest and no face paint when I was up in a tree, about to do a hanging pistol shot. Odd, but true.

I was confused with the new interface at first, what with the backpack and food and camo menus. I got used to it.

Then I was frustrated at the times it took the codec to open up. I thought my game froze on a couple occasions.

kinigitt
I was confused with the new interface at first, what with the backpack and food and camo menus. I got used to it.

Then I was frustrated at the times it took the codec to open up. I thought my game froze on a couple occasions.
Don't worry about the load times. I think it's the demo slowing things down. In previous game demos, certain things would load up pretty slowly, but the fianal game was just fine. Don't take it at heart.

I love the new "backpack" design. It makes finding items a lot quicker. You can also put things away that you don't use often, or no longer have a need for. I also like the food aspect of the game, including how you can store live animals for either food or to use as destraction to gaurds. But, the later proved stupid, as I said before. Storing live animals will be neccessary since food will rot, or good bad over time.

Latest Posts

Back