NBA: 2023-2024 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 76 comments
LeBron James made history earlier tonight, becoming the first player to score 40K points in his NBA career. However, the Lakers fell at home to the Denver Nuggets 124-114. All congratulations to LeBron James on a job well done through the entirety of his career up to this point.

Boston DOMINATED Golden State. It was 82-38, Boston at the half; then it finished 140-88, Boston. This is like a college beat down. I'm hoping Boston fans don't think Boston does all this regular season work just to fall apart in the Playoffs. And if that isn't bad enough, I read recently that the 2023-2024 Boston Celtics are the first team in NBA history to win three or more games in a single season by 50+ points. Wow...

Victor... who? There is nothing entertaining about watching two sub-0.500 teams. However, this was a showcase game for Alperen Sengun of the Houston Rockets against the San Antonio Spurs. Sengun was ballin' last night. Try these numbers- 45 points, 16 rebounds, and 5 steals. Victor Wenbanyama of the San Antonio Spurs was blanked in the 2nd half last night. It was a career night for A. Sengun. Sengun still needs to improve in a number of aspects, but this young fellow is going to be a big force in the future. Maybe he can reach levels like Yao Ming or even Hakeem Olajuwon among Houston Rockets stars. My Rockets will host the Los Angeles Clippers later tonight. Hopefully your favorite NBA team(s) is/are doing well so far.

Meanwhile... what the heck happened to Boston last night? Boston was up by as much as 22 or so points... only to fall 105-104 at the Cleveland Cavaliers. Boston's 11-game winning streak was snapped as a result. That's fine, because the Celtics are still the team to beat right now. Celtics aren't going to fall apart like an old pair of jeans or a badly-built car.

I hope your favorite team(s) is/are doing well.

Luka Doncic been balling. He recently became the first NBA player to log six-straight 30-point triple-doubles. He helped his Dallas Mavericks to a 142-124 victory over Detroit in Detroit back on Saturday. You did pretty well if you log a triple-double. Great if you put on a 30-point triple-double. But... you record SIX STRAIGHT 30-point triple-doubles, you're either S-Tier or borderline Legend Tier. I hate rooting against a rival Texas team, but that's pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Great, yet bittersweet win for the Houston Rockets yesterday. It was a 112-104 victory for the Rockets, sweeping the season series against the Sacramento Kings; but it came at the expense of Alperen Sengun going down late with a brutal leg and ankle injury. I hope Alperen Sengun will be okay. The Houston Rockets have very slim chances of getting into the Play-In Tournament, but this injury to Sengun may more than likely means the Rockets' potential playoff hopes may have to settle for next season. This has been a better season for the Rockets than the past two or three seasons.

Not to be outdone, the Washington Wizards have won back-to-back games after having lost 16 straight. They downed the Hornets at home 112-110, then won at the Miami Heat 110-108.

Teams officially eliminated from the Postseason include the following:

• WAS Wizards
  • SA Spurs

Why Detroit isn't also officially eliminated is beyond me.

That's all for my NBA report.

[UPDATE] ESPN reported that Alperen Sengun avoided a major leg injury. He could be back around the time of the end of the regular season, but I doubt he'll be back for the rest of this season. I'm certain the Rockets could miss out the Play-In Tournament. Sengun has a major ankle sprain. Thankfully, not a major leg injury.

Last edited:
The Detroit Pistons and Portland Trail Blazers have recently been officially eliminated, joining the Washington Wizards and the San Antonio Spurs. Did you know the Washington Wizards now have the NBA's worst record at 11-56? Detroit is now 12-54. Worst in the West is still San Antonio at 14-53.

My 32-35 Houston Rockets still have a chance to crack the 10th spot in the West, and their cause was a bit helped by the Golden State Warriors defeating the Lakers recently. Golden State is now 35-31 on the season (9th in West), and the Los Angeles Lakers are now 36-32 (10th in the West). Houston's next game is at the Washington Wizards this Tuesday.

The only team to clinch a Playoff berth so far is the Boston Celtics. They also clinched the Conference and their Division sitting at 57-16.

Eliminated teams: Toronto, Detroit, Charlotte, Washington, Utah, Portland, Memphis, and San Antonio.

More teams will surely fill in the remaining Playoff spots.

Postseason hopes for the Houston Rockets are officially over. After a 22-point lead the Rockets had at the Dallas Mavericks, the Mavs forced overtime at 129-129. The Rockets ultimately fell 147-136. This is now five straight losses for Houston after their 11-game winning streak. The window for the Play-In Tournament got closed shut with authority. That's been the conundrum for the Rockets as their slim playoff hopes came to a screeching halt after what should have been a Rockets' win. Better luck 2024-2025 season. On a brighter note, at least this is a much better season than any of Stephen Silas' days coaching the Rockets...

We're now playing for pride after putting some heat on Golden State to make the Play-In Tournament. Houston was going to be eliminated either on the next loss or the next Golden State win. Houston just needs to build on their successes this season and try to win more games with consistency to return to being a contender.

An oddity occurred yesterday in the NBA last night. No- it wasn't my eliminated Houston Rockets snapping their losing streak by defeating the Orlando Magic at home. It is that the Milwaukee Bucks beat the Boston Celtics... without attempting a single free throw. It has never happened in NBA history where one team is not sent to the free throw line at all in a game. Usually a game will have a number of moments where teams are sent to the free throw line. That, apparently didn't happen for Boston in their fail. Boston lost 104-91 at the Milwaukee Bucks last night. Weird to play a full basketball game and not have a team even get a chance at a free throw.

Oof...
1712974466755.png

Please, for the love of all that's holy can we change something about the Pistons? I don't watch a ton of NBA, but enough that it's painful to have to be subjected to the Pistons.

The Houston Rockets' season ended today. They will finish the 2023-2024 season with a 41-41 record. This team went from a 60+ loss season to finishing at .500 after winning 116-105 at the Clippers. The future is bright for the Houston Rockets despite challenging for a Play-In Tournament spot. Amen Thompson got his first triple-double of his career (18 pts., 11 reb., and 10 ast.) in the Rockets' final game of the 2023-2024 season. The season is over, but hope for the team to return to being a contender is high. This wasn't a turnaround like the Houston Texans' turnaround in the 2023 NFL season, but it's just as commendable. I just hope the Rockets can build off of this season and do much better all around to bring this team back to Playoff-worthy (and maybe Championship-worthy) form.

Since my beloved team is done, I want to congratulate all the teams who made the Playoffs this season; and also, congratulations to the eventual NBA Champions of 2023-2024.

The 2023-2024 NBA regular season has concluded. Here are how the teams finished this regular season. Find your favorite team(s) here:

LEGEND:
! = playoff team
!! = playoff team, won division
* = play-in tournament team

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE (End of Regular Season) ---
ATLANTIC: Boston!! (64-18), NY (50-32), PHI* (47-35), BKN (32-50), TOR (25-57)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee!! (49-33), CLE! (48-34), IND! (47-35), CHI* (39-43), DET (14-68)
SOUTHEAST: Orlando!! (47-35), MIA* (46-36), ATL* (36-46), CHA (21-61), WAS (15-67)
EAST PLAYOFFS (1-6; then 7-10): BOS, NY, MIL, CLE, ORL, IND; PHI, MIA, CHI, ATL

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE (End of Regular Season) ---
NORTHWEST: Oklahoma City!! and Denver! (57-25 each), MIN! (56-26), UTA (31-51), POR (21-61)
PACIFIC: Los Angeles Clippers!! (51-31), PHX! (49-33), LAL* (47-35), SAC* and GS* (46-36 each)
SOUTHWEST: Dallas!! (50-32), NO* (49-33), HOU (41-41), MEM (27-55), SA (22-60)
WEST PLAYOFFS: (1-6; then 7-10): OKC, DEN, MIN, LAC, DAL, PHX; NO, LAL, SAC, GS

Who will hoist the O'Brien Trophy and become the NBA Champions? The Play-In Tournament begins tomorrow night. There will be a ways to go to determine this season's NBA Champions. Time to lace 'em up and shoot some hoops!

Fun fact, the Pistons won 14 games this season which is as many as the Lions won during their season.

Jontay Porter of the Toronto Raptors has been banned by the NBA because of his gambling violations. More information on why he was banned can be read here: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39962406/nba-bans-raptors-jontay-porter-gambling-violations .

Meanwhile, the Golden State Warriors are DONE after last night's Play-In games. It was #LightTheBeam for the Sacramento Kings as they won 118-94. End of an era, methinks.

Tonight is:
  • MIA Heat at PHI 76ers
  • ATL Hawks at CHI Bulls

Play-In Tournament action still going strong, so enjoy the remaining Play-In matches.

The quest for the O'Brien Trophy begins today! After the Play-In Tournament played itself out, we are left with sixteen teams who will battle to become Champions of the 2023-2024 NBA season. Here is how things will stack up:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
  • #1 BOS Celtics vs. #8 MIA Heat
  • #2 NY Knicks vs. #7 PHI 76ers
  • #3 MIL Bucks vs. #6 IND Pacers
  • #4 CLE Cavaliers vs. #5 ORL Magic

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
  • #1 OKC Thunder vs. #8 NO Pelicans
  • #2 DEN Nuggets vs. #7 LAL Lakers <<< DEN: defending Champions
  • #3 MIN Timberwolves vs. #6 PHX Suns
  • #4 LAC Clippers vs. #5 DAL Mavericks

Check your local listings for times for the first games of this Playoff round. Enjoy the 2023-2024 NBA Playoffs!

Remember Blake Griffin? Well, he announced his retirement a few days ago. He was pretty good in the NBA. An even longer time ago, Rajon Rondo announced his retirement. I wish both players well in their respective retirements. It always seems like the end of an era when some personalities retire.

Back