network adapter

• Thread starter DoZeRxXx
  • 10 comments
ok first off, i am sorry if these questions have been answered a million times before. i have very little time right now

anybody have these and do you think they are worth the 70$$ (adapter and headset).

how does it work with connecting to the phone line? plug it into a phone line then what? if someone calls will it get through, if someone picks up the phone will they get through? i don't really think my parents want me to get that(mainly because they don't understand it and i will probably be using the phone line all the time). if thre is any other questions that i can't think of, please answer it. also, does it drive up the phone bill too?

i hear (at school) that the adapter is so much fun, and tomorow i should have about 3 hours with nothing much to do. do you think it will be worth going to get(hour drive- there and back(i could use some more clothes so it won't be a special trip)).

Yes, it's worth it. It's the only way to connect the PS2 online.

It connects through a broadband connection, not a normal phone line. No, it does not drive up the phone bill. It will connect just like your computer to your ISP.

I can confirm what Viper Zero said. There are plenty of games around which are fun to play online.

It will only work with a broadband connection (it needs a fast enough connection anyways) and it will use it like your PC uses the connection. There are no fees to play online but you do need to make the innitial investment for the network adapter.

so it does not take up the phone line? all i need to do is buy the adapter and probably a headset( about 70$$) and i need a cable or dsl connection?

...seriously i need like an idiot explaination about this. i'll be back at noon(central time zone) with some more questions

All you need is the network adapter and a broadband connection(512/128 or higher) and you are set.After you have plugged the network adapter in the back of your PS2 you will need to configure it the first time before you go online.After that you are ready to play.

What are you talking about? Of course you can use a phone line to play, the NA has plug-ins for both dial-up and ethernet connection. Recent games will get laggy with dial-up, but older ones can be played alright. Damn I know people who used to play Socom with dial-up.

And you don´t need a 512/128 or higher connection to play, I use a 150/64 connection and theres no lag at all.

What i said can be found on the Official Playstation website so chill out.Yes the network adapter has plug-ins for both connections but i'm pretty sure that most of the current and upcoming games won't allow you to play with dial-up.It's just wrong,you may not experience lag but other people on the server will,it takes them more bandwidth to connect with your PC because you have very low bandwidth thus making you lag on the server(not on your screeen but on theirs).
So the best thing to do is have the connection i mentioned with wich you will be able to play lag free and use the internet on your PC at the same time.

ok... so, i just plug it into the phone line and it should work (after some setting up). do i have to call my ISP/phone provider? and this guy said i need a router, what is a router?

and how can i check my connection speed?

oh yeah, the guy who has it said i need to call my isp/phone company and i need to tell them this really long number. and he said i need a router if i am not using the plug in my comp is (which i am not) so what is this "router"

You won't need a router since you will be using your phone line.A router is for people with broadband connections that have multiple computers in the house and they want to have internet acces on every computer.It works like this:You plug in your main internet acces cable in the WAN port on the router and you connect the other computers to the router and they all get acces to the internet.The name actually says it all,it reroutes(sp?) the internet acces to other computers without any bandwith loss.

And yes,i did forget to mention that you have to make sure that your ISP supports the Online PS2 network.You can find out by going to their site or sending an e-mail to them.

ok, i cannot figure this out. i bought one today and when i try to config it i need a user name and PW. i can get the user name but i cannot get a pw. is there something i am missing with this or what?

GTChamp2003
It's just wrong,you may not experience lag but other people on the server will,it takes them more bandwidth to connect with your PC because you have very low bandwidth thus making you lag on the server(not on your screeen but on theirs).
So the best thing to do is have the connection i mentioned with wich you will be able to play lag free and use the internet on your PC at the same time.
I think you are wrong, cause when it lags I can see the lag on my screen, but most of the time theres none. And I´m pretty sure I don´t lag others people too, cause my ping is good. Like in Socom 2, in 90% of the rooms I have green ping, just a few with yellow ping.

DoZeRxXx
ok, i cannot figure this out. i bought one today and when i try to config it i need a user name and PW. i can get the user name but i cannot get a pw. is there something i am missing with this or what?
You need to input the same login and password you use to connect your pc to the internet.

Back