Night-Runners

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
There doesn’t seem to be any chatter about this upcoming game on the forum so it may be news to some:

Seems to be a free roaming JDM street racing kinda thing from an indie developer. Probably going to be more arcadey than sim on the handling I’d have thought, and the cars are unlicensed. Looks cool though, a nice gritty and moody style to it. Out soon apparently, I’ll be checking it out for sure.

Last edited:
I've been loosely following this. Very very cool project, the details and the period themes are fantastic, I'll give it a good go when it's in some form of a full release. I'm down for everything except the exaggerated chase camera and the car sounds, but I don't fault them on the sounds.

This is the exact kind of thing the racing genre is lacking and I hope we see more of it.

Mainly visuals. Grainy pixelated visuals are cool and immersive, but I getting headaches while playing. Basic gameplay is solid if you into this subgenre.
Ah right ok. I still play PS1 and Sega Megadrive games from time to time so hopefully I won’t be affected by this!

Last edited:
Mainly visuals. Grainy pixelated visuals are cool and immersive, but I getting headaches while playing. Basic gameplay is solid if you into this subgenre.
Would it be possible to ask the dev if he can put in a way to turn off or turn down the VHS-reminiscent visuals, and maybe add in an FOV slider (I think the sense of speed is wonderful, but it's a little bit intense for me). I don't think anything can be done about the pixelated faces and license plates, as I think this is an artistic choice.

That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to playing this game once I can pay for it.

Last edited:
I was gonna genually get the patreon so i can get the game right?, but you need a goddamn paysafe or credit card to get it, i was plannin on using a paysafe but meh, ill just wait on the full release..
Allthough the game genually gives off that Tokyo Xtreme Racer vibe and i LOVE it.

AD993C75-E3B3-4AAC-B456-3424D6D7F857.jpeg

Mods could we please lock this thread now? It’s getting a bit farcical :lol: @Famine

Last edited:
How did you find the physics? I'm not expecting anything realistic, just something with relatively predictable arcade handling (without brake to drift).

Looks cool. I loved Wagan Midnight/Tokyo Xtreme Racer, seems like this is in the same lane. Customization options look plentiful! I REALLY like the presentation. I like the 3D floating camcorder text, but idk about the VHS filter during gameplay. It looks cool on 45 second IG reels but idk if I want to play a game like that. Maybe save it for replays? Speaking of...the presentation makes me wonder when the game is taking place. You got the 80s/90s visual theme, but then characters are texting on (early)smart phones?

Looks cool. I loved Wagan Midnight/Tokyo Xtreme Racer, seems like this is in the same lane. Customization options look plentiful! I REALLY like the presentation. I like the 3D floating camcorder text, but idk about the VHS filter during gameplay. It looks cool on 45 second IG reels but idk if I want to play a game like that. Maybe save it for replays? Speaking of...the presentation makes me wonder when the game is taking place. You got the 80s/90s visual theme, but then characters are texting on (early)smart phones?
Smartphones have been around since the mid-90s and grew in popularity towards the end of the 90s into the early 00s for business people. I think the game is supposed to be set in the late 90s/early 00s since it mimics the underground camcorder footage that used to be around during that time.

Smartphones have been around since the mid-90s and grew in popularity towards the end of the 90s into the early 00s for business people. I think the game is supposed to be set in the late 90s/early 00s since it mimics the underground camcorder footage that used to be around during that time.
Im sure there probably was some really rich people in the late 90s with something that resembled a smart phone(the first Iphone was released in 2007),but I was talking about normal people. My senior year of HS, in 99', we all had Nokia brick phones with playing snake.

Im sure there probably was some really rich people in the late 90s with something that resembled a smart phone(the first Iphone was released in 2007),but I was talking about normal people. My senior year of HS, in 99', we all had Nokia brick phones with playing snake.
Closest thing i could think of would be a Blackberry, since that was basically a smartphone before the modern touchscreen phones we have now. Carrying around a secondhand one was something of a prestige thing for a while in the mid-late 2000s, until the iPhone came along and pretty much killed them dead.

Been playing the prologue for this (out now on Steam for free!), it’s quite cool yeah. Not started getting into the meat of the gameplay yet, I’m just enjoying driving around this city weaving in and out the traffic so far. Finding it pretty tricky to get used to playing with a controller again after quite a long time playing driving games with a wheel, but the full version will have proper wheel support. Can’t wait!

Last edited:
Back