Opera's S2000 faster with TC on.

• Thread starter mtsmtts
  • 24 comments
Brazil
Brazil
mtsmtts
I was trying the Opera's S2000 around Suzuka, and the first lap, man, the car was so soft, so easy to control, I made the lap without problems, and really fast. Then I've noticed that the TC was ON, and I always set it off - im into the no assists for a long time.

Ok, then I removed the TC and ABS, and get into the track for another try, and it was really hard even to keep the pace with the ghost (the lap time i've made with TC).

This happened to someone else too? :irked:
I don't think im a bad driver, im not top notch on the game, but I can handle well without assists.
For example, my lap around nurb with RX-7, 6:25:xx (little mistake at the end):

Try it out yourself, take the S2000 into Suzuka, test it out with TC and without TC. 👍
:gtplanet:

Most modern sportcars run with TC since the torque output is usually too high to keep the car stable so you need electronics to control it and go smooth around the corner. Turn it off and go drifting :D

Most modern sportcars run with TC since the torque output is usually too high to keep the car stable so you need electronics to control it and go smooth around the corner. Turn it off and go drifting :D
So I don't need to be ashemed for using TC? :lol:

So I don't need to be ashemed for using TC? :lol:

nope not really, old sport cars didn't have it. But try to move a C63 AMG fast around the track without TC in reallife, you will go more sideways than straight :lol: Same goes for the Shelby GT500 etc.

Wow, I always turn TC off, but now that I read this, I wonder - should we make a list of the cars that use TC in real life and what's the recommended level to use in the game, from 1 to 10? That would be great!

Well you should keep on mind that you can deactivate your TC always in reallife aswell. Also many cars use it for traffic and wet conditions. And when people go on race tracks they turn it off. But the one with alot of torque are better to drive also on a race track with TC on because if not you gonna get sideways too much and won't get good laps but alot of fun :D

Well you should keep on mind that you can deactivate your TC always in reallife aswell. Also many cars use it for traffic and wet conditions. And when people go on race tracks they turn it off. But the one with alot of torque are better to drive also on a race track with TC on because if not you gonna get sideways too much and won't get good laps but alot of fun :D
Not on every cars though, first to come to mind is the C4 Corvette which had it but couldnt deactivate it!

Umm... in real life a Shelby GT500 is not likely to be faster around a track with TC on. Electronics are very good but they will rarely out-pace a good racing driver with a soft foot. You drive with a lead-foot then, yeah, you'll go sideways far more than you go straight.

I drive an RX8 (incredibly low on torque) but that is SO much faster without TCS on. The TCS is designed as a safety mechanism to assist drivers in wet/ dangerous conditions, not to aid people in driving faster. F1 cars, for example, have incredible power and torque but lack traction control systems. The only time they rely on power-controlling tech is usually on launch where the driver would naturally want to lead-foot it.

The Stig turns TC off to do a hot lap, so this theory is wrong.

You just need to learn how to control oversteer.

;)

Edit: Wait, you're using soft slicks? :lol:

I expected you to be on CS/SH when having oversteer problems but ok...

I don't know, I just wish casual players would try tires other than their precious superglued-to-the-road RS tires.

Sports/comfort tires bring out the true character of the car, and you actually have to drive the car instead of just pointing it in a direction and flooring it like on RS.

/Rantover

Last edited:
It's not either of them. With a dualshock then yes, you will likely be faster with TC and ABS on, but in the real world (and if you have a decent wheel set-up for GT) you WILL be faster without any assists on. You can accelerate faster and stop quicker without technology limiting you.

Bogus theory.

I drive an RX8 (incredibly low on torque) but that is SO much faster without TCS on. The TCS is designed as a safety mechanism to assist drivers in wet/ dangerous conditions, not to aid people in driving faster. F1 cars, for example, have incredible power and torque but lack traction control systems. The only time they rely on power-controlling tech is usually on launch where the driver would naturally want to lead-foot it.

They don't have traction control in F1 because the regulations specifically forbid it. Every team would use it if it was allowed. It was allowed back in the early 2000's and every team had it. When they weren't allowed, teams tried to circumvent the rules and made systems that acted like traction control without actually breaking the rules. I guess they actually don't have it now because the FIA are better at checking for it, and I think they're all forced to use the same powertrain control module.

If properly implemented, traction control can only be an advantage. On road cars traction control is only meant to be a safety system, so they aren't optimized for performance, so good drivers will be faster on a track without them. GT also implements it poorly. From what I can tell, GT seems to detect your steering angle to determine the amount of torque sent to the wheels, which is a very stupid way of doing it in my opinion. If the regulations allowed it, I would imagine every real life racing team would use it.

I drive an RX8 (incredibly low on torque) but that is SO much faster without TCS on. The TCS is designed as a safety mechanism to assist drivers in wet/ dangerous conditions, not to aid people in driving faster.

Not completely true. In high volume cars, yes you're right, but in new era sport/super cars their TC systems are often in place for the car to be more manageable and in return faster. Personally I still turn it off on everything I drive, prefer fun over speed.

Well for example GTE cars can use TC and they do because it gives slight advance. However it doesn't replace sharp feet because it is inacive most of the time. It only limits power usually when there is bumps and the wheels would otherwise slip little. But if you floor the throttle it doesn't save you.
Here is an incar video of Corvette C7.R. You can see blue lights flashing on the dashboard in some corner exits when TC activates but most of the time it isn't working. And when it is working, it is only a fraction of a second.

In GT6 the TC is not as good as best or even decent systems in real world and I am always faster with it switched off.

I normally have TCS on 1 in a race just to iron out any mistakes and set more consistent times as well as preserving tyres, if a car is quite well balanced then TCS off. Some of the very best players will always be faster with it off.

I admit to using TCS1 very occasionaly in LMP or GT cars in the rain.

Otherwise ya I dont use it because I've become much faster without it.

And even though they have it in real life it would completely ruin all the fun with my "smoke the tires to 140mph" Honda Fit :lol:

I forgot to mention that in rain I might use TC1 with high powered cars and I end up being faster being more consistent in laptimes, so my earlier comment wasn't entirely true :)

I would use TCS more if they didn't lock the RA Menu during races.

It is indeed faster to not use TCS if you know how to throttle control properly, but if not there is no real shame in using it, especially in cars that have it in the real world. In the end it's a game, and you should do whatever you want to have fun, as long as it doesn't give you an advantage (cough) SRF (cough)

I've never [ever, ever--regardless of scenario] been faster with TCS on than I have with TCS off and some throttle control. (This includes when dealing with LMPs in the wet on SS tires.)

What about the lotus f1? That car must be slightly faster for 90% of people who can't/ don't use the accelerator to feather that 97% throttle you might need to get the best acceleration without any wheel spin!

TC is never faster than no TC in real life. It's like the difference between ABS-1 and ABS-0 in GT6. ABS-1 is not faster than ABS-0. It's just easier to control and score a better time quicker than without it.

Back