Pencil and Paper GT (Old School)

• Thread starter Polsixe
  • 15 comments
Canada
Thornhill
polsixe
For those times when the PS3 is not available there is a way to race a virtual car around a track. Vector racetrack, using a drawn track on a grid of paper. The rules and details are elsewhere on Google ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack_(game) ) but basically a dot represents your car and the acceleration and turning rule is +1 or -1 in any direction.

For a real track the scales get pretty large, here is a segment of Apricot Hill showing two possible tracks or lines around T1 and T2.

apricothill2.jpg

In this example each square is 2.5 m. and each "turn" is about 0.5 sec. It takes about 180 turns to lap the circuit, or about 1:30. A full track on one sheet at this scale is about the size of a D-size engineering drawing. A random track on a letter or A4 grid paper is just fine also.

Here is Apricot Hill in total:

Attachments

• APRICOTHILL.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
For those times when the PS3 is not available there is a way to race a virtual car around a track. Vector racetrack, using a drawn track on a grid of paper. The rules and details are elsewhere on Google ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack_(game) ) but basically a dot represents your car and the acceleration and turning rule is +1 or -1 in any direction.

For a real track the scales get pretty large, here is a segment of Apricot Hill showing two possible tracks or lines around T1 and T2.

apricothill2.jpg

In this example each square is 2.5 m. and each "turn" is about 0.5 sec. It takes about 180 turns to lap the circuit, or about 1:30. A full track on one sheet at this scale is about the size of a D-size engineering drawing. A random track on a letter or A4 grid paper is just fine also.

Here is Apricot Hill in total:

Ha, I remember playing this back in the day in high school during study hall. 👍 Ah the memories. :)

I would just grab some hotwheels and race them around the track making car noises with my mouth. That would be fun! :D

I still have my racetrack rug. Time to break out all the HotWheels!

Ahhh yes we had paper like this when I was in school... except we used it to design ICs...

If you don't know what an IC is forget it. I don't have time.

Back