Piper GTR Group 6 1969

United States
The Tri-State Area
1713017719610.png

When it comes to unusual race cars built in a shed and sent to the most prestigious races in the world, you need look no further than the UK.

Piper's story begins with the famous Kent tuning company in 1963, co-founded by former Gemini F3 team owner George Henrotte and best-known for preparing racey Ford engines - including for its own low-volume cars based on Ford mechanicals. Henrotte happened to meet the talented designer Tony Hilder, who'd worked on the McLaren M1A, and recruited him to design a GT car under the Piper brand.

That resulted in the GT, shown in 1967, creating sufficient interest in the brand that Henrotte took the decision to calve Piper Cars into its own concern - under Piper Sports Racer owner and driver Brian Sherwood - and take the company to the global motorsport billboard of Le Mans.

Under Sherwood's guidance, the company created the GTR racer. Designed by Hilder to fit the Group 6 Prototype category, the GTR was about as out-there as they come - not least for that twin-nose design with an integral front wing.

All-in, the Piper GTR weighed barely 600kg and sat at just 30 inches (76mm) high - three-quarters the height of the Ford GT40 with which it was intended to race, though in a different engine category. The weight was in part down to the fact the monocoque essentially consisted of a special wood composite - a plastic/balsa sandwich - with a glass fibre body shell.

Piper made two cars for the 1969 attempt at Le Mans, with a two-litre BMW version for Sherwood himself that proved unreliable in testing and never made it to France. The second - chassis BJS-3 (the green car in the images) - had a 1.3-litre Lotus-Ford engine and actually made it as far as the track.

Not much further, it transpired. Tim Lalonde experienced issues with the car - reportedly exceptionally fast in the P1.3 class, with a 164mph top speed down Ligne Droite des Hunaudieres - and failed to set a qualifying time. A rumour emerged from the paddock that the French scrutineers refused to certify the car on a technicality with the engine to prevent it from outshining the home favourite Alpine A210 (which itself retired midway), but this has never been anything but the rumour.

Sadly Sherwood was killed in a road accident later in 1969, and this brought an end to Piper's racing ambitions. Two further GTRs were completed, but the company - now under workshop manager Bill Atkinson under the name "Embrook Engineering" - moved back into road cars. Economic conditions saw Piper cease to exist entirely in 1974.

BJS-3 itself survived and was restored for classic racing as recently as 2010 but has disappeared since it was bought at the Coys Auction Autosport International in 2011. Former Piper GTR owner Tony Claydon set up Piper Racing Cars in 2006 and sells replicas of the car under the name Piper GTR Le Mans.

1713022881090.png

1713022872328.png

A great looking and unusual classic race car.

Corrupted disc - the year of the car should be the last part of the thread title - make / model / year - this is in the suggestion threads guidance and also enables users to sort the car list alphabetically and helps avoid double posts.

Nice! I'm voting for this. Impressive performance for a 1,3 liter straight four. Looks like a car that will take corners better than the other old racecars. Could give it a price tag of 10-15 million credits?

-Sonny

Such a great car, which I hadn't heard of before - so thanks for that Corrupted disc. I found some more shots and also read on the Piper website that replica cars are available to order. In addition to the 1.3 a 3 litre example was also made - that might be more fun in the game.

I also read that the body was designed by the same man who designed the McLaren M6GT - there is considerable similarity in the body shapes. Check out my thread titled McLaren M6GT - McLarens first road car,

Piper GTR at Le Mans.jpg
Piper GTR interior.jpg
piper-gtr front.jpg

Last edited:
Some sources say that it also had a 1,6 liter engine, others say it has BMW 2.0 liter engine. I also read somewhere about a Buick V8. If the Buick V8 version ever existed, that's the one I want in the game.

That weird front spoiler is either genius, or completely useless. Either way, this is an awesome looking car.

Im000215.jpg

4134-6.jpg

-Sonny

Hi Sonny - The aerodynamics were developed at Kingston on Thames University. The wing has a choice of three fixed positions and is designed to reduce drag - presumably it helps to control airflow over the body of the car. I think it is more likely to be genius!

Hi Sonny - The aerodynamics were developed at Kingston on Thames University. The wing has a choice of three fixed positions and is designed to reduce drag - presumably it helps to control airflow over the body of the car. I think it is more likely to be genius!

Reduce drag? I thought it was for the downforce. Yeah maybe it was genius, but if it was, why is it so rare with these kinds of spoilers? The Porsche 917, which was made around the same time period and for the same purpose, didn't have that spoiler. Although I think you could fit one of those on there. Maybe it just worked great for this particular car. Yeah well, thanks, you learn something new everyday dont you?

-Sonny

The Porsche didn't have room for that type of spoiler and neither do most cars. The Porsche 917 ran into all sorts of problems with aerodynamic stability at Le Mans - not surprising given it's huge power and speed etc. The Piper was designed to travel much more slowly than the Porsche and had a fraction of the power so the aerodynamic challenges it faced would have been much lower - what I'm trying to say is we can't judge one from the other and also an idea from one wouldn't necessarily work on the other with its very different performance parameters. Both fantastic cars though and it would be great to have them in the game.

Anyone know where the GTR is now ?
According to http://www.supercars.net/blog/1969-piper-gtr/, it has been restored and been raced at many events including Goodwood, and even beating a GT40! Shows the potential this car had back in it's time...
The refreshed Piper GTR was debuted at the 2005 Goodwood Festival of Speed followed by an invitation to the Silverstone Classic in the following year. More auspiciously, this original car returned to La Sarthe to contest the 2006 Le Mans Classic, where it was reunited with its original driver, Tim Lalonde, some 37 years after the Piper GTR’s first appearance at Le Mans. The restored car was much quicker than Lelonde thought it would be – and this time it not only started but finished the job that it had originally set out to all those years ago. Its latest outing was in a World Sports Racing Masters event at Donington 2008, beating a Ford GT40 to take a well deserved class win. A return invitation for the 2010 Le Mans Classic has been received for this car to once again return to La Sarthe – indicating that the French attitude towards this incredible car has turned from one of deep suspicion to that of great respect.

However I can't seem to find anything since..

Anyone know where the GTR is now ?
According to http://www.supercars.net/blog/1969-piper-gtr/, it has been restored and been raced at many events including Goodwood, and even beating a GT40! Shows the potential this car had back in it's time...

However I can't seem to find anything since..

Hi
Thanks for your response..I have owned a Piper P2 for over 30yrs and seen the GTR race at Donington..It was entered into NEC classics auction 2010 ? but sold privately after !..Since then it has vanished..so any leads as to its whereabouts would be welcome from anyone ..Regards Dave Mcconnell "Piperman"

Yeah i believe it was sold privately since there's no record of the seller and on the auctioners website there isnt a single trace of the car. My best guess of its whereabouts will be with a private owner where he'll (hopefully) take it to track days every now and then and then keep it pristine in his garage. So i guess the best place to find its whereabouts is to look for "classic" race days like Le Mans and dig through photoshoots and/or actually attend 👍

Yeah i believe it was sold privately since there's no record of the seller and on the auctioners website there isnt a single trace of the car. My best guess of its whereabouts will be with a private owner where he'll (hopefully) take it to track days every now and then and then keep it pristine in his garage. So i guess the best place to find its whereabouts is to look for "classic" race days like Le Mans and dig through photoshoots and/or actually attend 👍

Spoken to the crew who shared the drive and prepped the gtr at classic meets and they cant help..We at the club fear its another Piper lost to Japan? ...Hope to have a record 12 Pipers at the Silverstone classic this month, so if you want to see the next best thing to a gtr and still lower than a GT40..pop over to our pitch for a chat..

Back