[POLL] Should all cars be available in Arcade at the beginning?

Should all GT6 cars be available in Arcade at the beginning?

• Total voters
Sure, why not. There would be a lot of cars, but as long as they design a good menu for that it should be okay.

I'm even okay with having all cars available for online races, and in GT Life you could rent a car that you only intend to use for one particular event so you can keep your garage focused on the cars that you really like instead of having to buy a car you'll only use once and then having the garage clogged up with cars you never use. Or you sell it for a 75% loss (or 100% loss if it's a valuable (!) car).

Car collectors would still be able to collect as many as they'd like though.

Last edited:
I must be one of the few who enjoys working to get certain cars. Hell, I was ecstatic when I finally got my McLaren F1 and took it for a spin. I agree that the UCD system is incredibly stupid, but I prefere actually having to buy cars in order to use them.

They stay away from modes with free stuff. There is no reason we can't have a mode mimicking PC sims and one following the old GT way at the same time.

Exactly, if you want to earn cars then you can. Unless it's like what I brought up originally, the same thing with rewind, the people that say that don't want it but wouldn't have enough self control not to use it. That's really not a reason not to do it.

I've always thought they should have done this for GT5, that way you can race any identical car in the game and have a straight up even race online. They could even go a little further and adjust the PP, or HP of that car and have the ability to share tunes too if a driver made them 'public' (viewable in the lobby).

Jerome

Voted no, I would rather the cars be unlocked along with all of their colors in arcade as you earn/buy them in career/GT Mode.

if they do there would be no rare cars and no reason to trade, and i would rather work to unlock the cars than have them just given to me

Apparently people are mixing up arcade mode with A-spec mode. Arcade mode is where you just pick a car and track (and a few other options) and just race. A-spec is where you get the credits to purchase the cars and progress through the events.

Edit: Having all the cars unlocked in arcade mode isn't a bad thing, nor would it diminish the joy of winning/unlocking one in A-spec. It's basically similar to test-driving a car versus actually buying and modifying a car.

I say no. If every car in the game is there already, what's the point of working to get them in the career mode?

I say no. If every car in the game is there already, what's the point of working to get them in the career mode?

To be able to customize them with tuning upgrades, paint, etc. which wouldn't be possible in arcade mode.

if they do there would be no rare cars and no reason to trade, and i would rather work to unlock the cars than have them just given to me

Don't see how it would make trading pointless. Some people might want to trade for (or recevie as a gift) a car to use in carrer mode and again, possibly to customize how they want. And I don't get this fascination with "rare cars" when GT5 already contradicts that by the variety of cars that have been put in the OCD and the fact that you can own as many of a certain car as you like, even if that car only exists in very limited quantities in real life.

Last edited:

And I'd rather have them just given to me.

Trading is simple to figure out. Assuming we get a Forza like auction house, or something, then you just need to split free mode and GT mode.

Free mode players have everything, and can do anything with their cars (tune, paint, etc) but can't sell/trade/gift free mode cars. They can sell liveries and tunes. This would give them credits. They would have to use the credits to buy items sold by GT mode players (although they can freely trade with other free mode players). Free mode players could also gain credits by racing in GT mode or online (and online should pay a billion times more than GT mode).

Now you can have the exact same economy as Forza/GT5 while letting players who are more focused on racing, race.

Ask yourself that. If you can't think of a reason, then why should PD bother wasting time coding up a function that no one would want.

If Career mode is worth anything, anything at all, then what you said shouldn't mean anything. That's because if Career mode was worth anything you'd play it because you enjoy it, not because you're forced to.

If everything was available outside of career mode, that has no effect on career mode itself. Career mode is either worth playing or it's not. Clearly I think it's not, but there is no reason why PD should consider my opinion only.

Exorcet
That it is, rewards or not. However if half the game is hidden behind A-Spec, that time becomes time the player must spend in A-Spec, even if the player would want to spend that time elsewhere.

If you dont like GT life and the car collection aspect of it, Gran Turismo is not for you. Its that simple. No way around it. The "I want it all now" thinking is whats making garbage DLC like "time saver" packs more and more popular.

Its like walking into some MMO like World of Warcraft, and saying you want every item, weapon, armor, whatever at your disposel the minute you start, because you'd rather be fighting some boss rather then collecting those items yourself

If you dont like GT life and the car collection aspect of it, Gran Turismo is not for you. Its that simple. No way around it.
So I can like the content, the gameplay, and the competition between the players and the game is not for me?

GT Mode is unnecessary, and even more unnecessary is making people play it. Making it optional takes nothing away.

The "I want it all now" thinking is whats making garbage DLC like "time saver" packs more and more popular.
Exactly the opposite. I bought the game so I could use the content. Not wait 1000 years to get to it, and not to pay for it twice. Unlocks are old non sense thinking. Time Saver packs are scams. Just design the game to be played.

Its like walking into some MMO like World of Warcraft, and saying you want every item, weapon, armor, whatever at your disposel the minute you start, because you'd rather be fighting some boss rather then collecting those items yourself

I suppose it is, and just like in that case it's not even a big deal.

You've made comparison to other games already. Unlocks are not a part of games. They're just something devs love to cling to for reason unknown and most people have become complacent with.

If you dont like GT life and the car collection aspect of it, Gran Turismo is not for you. Its that simple. No way around it. The "I want it all now" thinking is whats making garbage DLC like "time saver" packs more and more popular.

Wow. Just, wow.

God forbid you should be allowed to play with the content in the game you purchased. MMOs are designed like this to complement the way they make their money. It's not a positive feature of game design, it's a necessity to stretch the gameplay and make the most money from monthly fees.

GT is a one off purchase. Once you've bought it, it makes no difference to PD whether you play for one hour or a thousand hours. They've got their $60. So why should there not be a mode that is relatively open where I can play as I see fit? If that means making all content available, what of it?

This does not make A-spec useless. There's still enjoyment in progressing through a career type structure and working your way up through various cars. But it's completely possible to have that AND an open style arcade mode. Neither takes away from the other, unless you're the type of player who defines themselves by having the rarest super-expensive car that no one else can afford.

Time saver packs are a sign that players WANT to play in an open fashion, and that game companies are so greedy that they decide to charge for what should be a basic feature of the game. They are a sign of selfish, money-hungry design.

As Exorcet says, GT Mode/A-spec is not the heart of the game. The driving experience is the heart of the game. GT Mode is a tool to allow you to enjoy that in a certain way, if you choose. GT Mode should not be the ONLY way to enjoy Gran Turismo.

If the Arcade mode in GT6 is identical to GT5, yes, all the cars need to be unlocked.

However, if the GT6 arcade mode has some form of progression system, I wouldn't mind having to unlock each of the cars the hard way.

I'm all for cars being unlocked 100% in Arcade mode, and even for them being taken online (although, if Online is split into match-making style Lobbies and Open Rooms, I'd put a vote to have them only available in Open Rooms).

As for customization, I believe that should be reserved for cars purchased in GT Mode, as there should be some incentive, some driving (as in motivational) feature to work through GT Mode, to buy your cars there, etc. This is the equivalent to working up and buying your car in real life. You can then do whatever you want with it because you own it. It's yours. Your digital version of that car.

In contrast, driving the Arcade version of that car would be similar to renting it, or borrowing it from a rich friend, etc. You can change the color as you like, you can use a GT: Prologue style performance enhancer to keep up with the races you enter, but you can't do everything in it, because ultimately, it isn't yours. The reason why I'm in favor of being able to drive anything, though, is because of ridiculously priced cars like the d'Elegance GT Award winners, and the F1 cars, which I have no incentive to buy, and thus are wasting pixels and memory in my game. Making them available to me in Arcade would increase their usefulness to me.

On a separate note, how cool would it be to make a feature out of Sharing your cars online? You can post goals and challenges to your friends, having them either racing online for a specific result, or doing an offline race against competition you selected, all in the car you offered up in the settings you tuned it with.

Last edited:
I say that it is done like gt4 where a large portion (like 50% or so) are unlocked at the start. Maybe allow for all cars you have once owned to be added in along with reaching certain milestones and such in arcade gets you more cars. Unlocking them all removes some of the accomplishment and progression in the game and will make arcade mode blander after a while.

Why not? its arcade mode, and I bought this game to drive cars, not to grind for an hour just to get enough money to buy a car that may or may not be in UCD.

I say that it is done like gt4 where a large portion (like 50% or so) are unlocked at the start. Maybe allow for all cars you have once owned to be added in along with reaching certain milestones and such in arcade gets you more cars. Unlocking them all removes some of the accomplishment and progression in the game and will make arcade mode blander after a while.

How is it bland though, it's just arcade mode. You're just taking cars to races. GT mode is the mode for unlocking things (even though I'm not fond of unlocks). I don't see why you would need progression in arcade mode either.

How is it bland though, it's just arcade mode. You're just taking cars to races. GT mode is the mode for unlocking things (even though I'm not fond of unlocks). I don't see why you would need progression in arcade mode either.

Because, good games operate in a loop where playing gives you rewards and the rewards give you encouragement to play. Take the reward away and even a really good and fun game can become bland (IE: Saints Row 3 had an issue like this). Having plenty from the start but keeping unlocks is the best mix as it keeps variety throughout without removing the ability to unlock things.

Because, good games operate in a loop where playing gives you rewards and the rewards give you encouragement to play. Take the reward away and even a really good and fun game can become bland (IE: Saints Row 3 had an issue like this). Having plenty from the start but keeping unlocks is the best mix as it keeps variety throughout without removing the ability to unlock things.

Again, that's what A-spec mode is for. All arcade mode is, is a place where you pick a car, track, and race options, and go race. I enjoy working to get the cars that I can customize and tune like every one else, however I also occasionally just want to grab a high powered car and tool around a couple tracks for a while. Why make it so in both modes you have to work in order to unlock the fast cars (for example)?

Heck, FM4 even has all the cars available in career mode. Doesn't matter though, since you still have to work to get credits in order to purchase the vehicles.

The variety is always there. GT5 has 1000 cars. If they were all available from the beginning, you would need to drive 1000 cars to experience all the cars. You would need to drive 10's of thousands of cars to drive all the cars in various levels of competition. There is a lot to do.

Having to unlock all of that is just a waste of time, and it limits what you can do because you might not be able to get everything.

When two different groups of people disagree about unlocks, then have two modes. As had been said, A-Spec already caters to the unlock crowd. Making Arcade Mode a clone of that seems like a waste of resources and is very redundant.

They should do it like in GT4, have a wide selection of cars available from the start (about 1/3 of the total) and the others joining them as you win or purchase them in career mode.

Back