Power and torque curve

United States
West Virginia
HBR-Roadhog
HBR Roadhog
I've been trying to read this power and torque curve on the Nascar but the fact that there are no numbers on the rpm lines makes it a bit hard to read.

it goes from 0 to 9500 some of the bars are closer than others and I am having a hard time trying to figure out what rpm peak power occurs.

Any ideas how to decipher this?

Check in the tuning settings? In GT5 you got the power curve and the actual written out numbers on the setting sheet. I am not in front of the game but I thought they were still there...

On the settings tab there are numbers that refer to max torque, power weight and such then there is the graph
The graph has 0 and 9500 on each side for rpms with 6 vertical bars the first bar is farther from 0 than the bars are apart and the last bar is farther from 9500 than they are apart. There are no numbers associated with any of the bars

There is the Hp and torque curves drawn onto the graph. The issue is trying to determine what rpm the peak occurs

For example in the case of the Nascar the HP peak is just after the 4th bar and is flat to 9500 the torque peaks at about the same spot then falls away. Ideally I need to have the car to stay in this high hp range as much as possible but is difficult to tell what rpm is represented by that bar or any of the bars in this case.

I could guess of course and may have to but would be nice to know what the bars actually represent.

What i did::
  • Went to test drive @ SSRX
  • Select manual transmission
  • @ the start shift all the way into high gear with no acceleration
  • Ease on up to the start line maintaining approx 50 K/h
  • Floor it crossing the line.
  • Keep it floored till you hit the rev limiter
  • End the run
  • Do the replay & record the speed @ each 5 second mark (I started @ 20)

Use the tire circumference formula (TC) & calculate that then use a transposed TC formula to convert speeds to RPM.

RPMs will plot on a curve. Best power is where the plot slope is steepest.

Last edited:
On the settings tab there are numbers that refer to max torque, power weight and such then there is the graph
The graph has 0 and 9500 on each side for rpms with 6 vertical bars the first bar is farther from 0 than the bars are apart and the last bar is farther from 9500 than they are apart. There are no numbers associated with any of the bars

There is the Hp and torque curves drawn onto the graph. The issue is trying to determine what rpm the peak occurs

For example in the case of the Nascar the HP peak is just after the 4th bar and is flat to 9500 the torque peaks at about the same spot then falls away. Ideally I need to have the car to stay in this high hp range as much as possible but is difficult to tell what rpm is represented by that bar or any of the bars in this case.

I could guess of course and may have to but would be nice to know what the bars actually represent.
So they no longer tell us "xxxHP @ xxxxRPM"? Argh. Love the game but it's these little things that are getting under my skin. :banghead: I will take a deeper look tonight.

You can see the HP and TQ in the main garage menu.
Nascar
892 HP @ 9000 RPM
567.3 ft-lbs TQ @ 7000 RPM

So they no longer tell us "xxxHP @ xxxxRPM"? Argh. Love the game but it's these little things that are getting under my skin. :banghead: I will take a deeper look tonight.

That info is still available as a single point but the graph reference lines are missing vital axis info.
One can use 5252RPM for where torque & Hp cross. I find plotting RPM vs time in Hi gear @ full throttle, useful in finding the best RPM to shift.

You can see the HP and TQ in the main garage menu.
Nascar
892 HP @ 9000 RPM
567.3 ft-lbs TQ @ 7000 RPM

I had not noticed that, but that is helpful. In this case though I am running in the Nascar event which requires 70% limiter and the HP curve becomes flat at 624hp all the way to the end of the graph.

based on that torque rpm it looks like the peak HP is reached right at 7000rpm and remains flat to the redline.

I can work with that for now, would be nice if they would give us some info on the graph axis though, would make things easier

What i did::
  • Went to test drive @ SSRX
  • Select manual transmission
  • @ the start shift all the way into high gear with no acceleration
  • Ease on up to the start line maintaining approx 50 K/h
  • Floor it crossing the line.
  • Keep it floored till you hit the rev limiter
  • End the run
  • Do the replay & record the speed @ each 5 second mark (I started @ 20)

Use the tire circumference formula (TC) & calcplate that then use a transposed TC formula to convert speeds to RPM.

RPMs will plot on a curve. Best power is where the plot slope is steepest.

That info is still available as a single point but the graph reference lines are missing vital axis info.
One can use 5252RPM for where torque & Hp cross. I find plotting RPM vs time in Hi gear @ full throttle, useful in finding the best RPM to shift.

I am interested and wish to learn more. :cheers: Do you have any visual aids or links that can further explain your method?

I had not noticed that, but that is helpful. In this case though I am running in the Nascar event which requires 70% limiter and the HP curve becomes flat at 624hp all the way to the end of the graph.

based on that torque rpm it looks like the peak HP is reached right at 7000rpm and remains flat to the redline.

I can work with that for now, would be nice if they would give us some info on the graph axis though, would make things easier

70% Power
624 HP @ 7100 RPM
553 TQ @ 5900 RPM

I do agree though. I hated the same thing about GT5 guessing exactly where the power will be at what RPM.

Also thats a flaw in Power Limiter. If you installed a Resrictor Plate the HP would not even out for the rest of the RPM range.

I am interested and wish to learn more. :cheers: Do you have any visual aids or links that can further explain your method?

@DigitalBaka I am working on a tuning workbook M$ Exel that implements all the formulas and graphs the gears RPM vs Speed like in game, & uses tire size to build a RPM vs time graph to represent the power curve to assist in setting the transmission shift points.

The wife just had her left knee replaced so it may take a few to get it published with hospital visits & all.

@DigitalBaka I am working on a tuning workbook M$ Exel that implements all the formulas and graphs the gears RPM vs Speed like in game, & uses tire size to build a RPM vs time graph to represent the power curve to assist in setting the transmission shift points.

The wife just had her left knee replaced so it may take a few to get it published with hospital visits & all.

What is the latest on this tool @SCClockDr ? I am very interested in this and would love to try it. Any chance that you are ready to share it?

I use this tool I made. Its rough as I have only the 2 points to plot the curves with. I have had great success with it so far. Most cars shift well at the line, but a few peek far beneath the line its good to get the most out of shifts.

This is the shift points I calculated for my MX5 Cup Spec car, regulated to stock gearbox plotting shift points is a great way to get every advantage you can.

shift calc data.png

This is a snap of a connected gear tool I used to study the Focus ST gearbox. The 5th and 6th gears are recalculated as if a 2.950 final drive is used on 5th and 6th to confirm a hidden FD is used on the car in the game.

focus gear demo.png

Back