Scion tC commercial... great idea for GT5?

I was watching TV the other day and saw a Scion tC commercial where the car was racing along this treadmill-like track that kept popping up with new sections. The car would drive the course, powersliding and everything, while the "treadmill" track would keep revolving. I'm sure some of you have seen this commercial since it's shown here in the USA. (The tC keeps constantly getting modified during the commercial, including a spoiler that appears near the end. If anyone wants to post a link to the commercial, or at least show a few screenshots, please do so. Thanks :))

Then out of the blue I thought, "How cool would it be for a multiplayer mode in GT5 if there was an option to drive a track just like that but it would randomly create new sections to drive on right on the spot?" If it was multiplayer, there could be a competition to see who stays on the revolving track the longest without falling off. And think about what would happen if there was a "treadmill" track to drive on without any obstacles? You could test your top speed without having to go around any corners like on the Test Course.

I think it's a cool idea. What do you think? :D

that would be cool as long as the randomly created section was far ahead of the players, pop up, slow down, or jiggles would make it unreasonable.

How about also a create-a-track mode?

I don't think pop-up would be an issue, being PS3 and all. Besides, this would be cool to test reflexes as well, mainly. Just take out the fancy techno backgrounds in the commercial and add a more natural "Gran Turismo-ish" style to it, and it would be a winning idea.

I'm still thinking it'd best suit multiplayer and testing 0-60 times, though. But wouldn't it be nice if it was in lisence tests as to teach players how to expect the unexpected (like driving a course for the first time) and reacting within a split second? The course would obviously have to either rotate on its own at a constant speed (for the latter idea) or be moving at the same speed as the car (for the former idea).

I don't know; the commercial has been playing in my head over and over today for no apparent reason. Toyota's got good marketing, that's all I can say.

I didn't like that the Scion tC was in GT4. If ever I got a car from the Scion lot, I'd surely want a Scion tC to make as a race car. Or to make things better, come up with a touring car variant of the Scion tC. It's stock with 160hp, front-wheel drive, it's a car you MIGHT like if the xA and/or xB don't tickle your fancy. Only weakness? The xA and xB are about 2400 lbs., the tC is just under 3,000 lbs.

Would it work for a GT5 commercial? I'm sure we won't be getting teasers this year. Maybe wait until August 2006 at least before we see something like a GT5 commercial. I'm thinking a bit logically, but it's too soon to talk about commercials. On top of that, heard of "Trackmania: Sunrise?" That game has wicked stunts, including the ability to make your own stunt course. I don't see Gran Turismo going this way unless GT all of a sudden goes from real racing to stunt driving (The Real Stunt Driving Simulator. Imagine that!). So, no.

JohnBM01
I didn't like that the Scion tC was in GT4. If ever I got a car from the Scion lot, I'd surely want a Scion tC to make as a race car. Or to make things better, come up with a touring car variant of the Scion tC. It's stock with 160hp, front-wheel drive, it's a car you MIGHT like if the xA and/or xB don't tickle your fancy. Only weakness? The xA and xB are about 2400 lbs., the tC is just under 3,000 lbs.

Would it work for a GT5 commercial? I'm sure we won't be getting teasers this year. Maybe wait until August 2006 at least before we see something like a GT5 commercial. I'm thinking a bit logically, but it's too soon to talk about commercials. On top of that, heard of "Trackmania: Sunrise?" That game has wicked stunts, including the ability to make your own stunt course. I don't see Gran Turismo going this way unless GT all of a sudden goes from real racing to stunt driving (The Real Stunt Driving Simulator. Imagine that!). So, no.

You mention FWD as if it were a good thing. :crazy:

r0gu3
You mention FWD as if it were a good thing. :crazy:

It is... FF rules! Especially for drag... :dopey:

I think the random track mode would be nice, but it would take up too much of the system's resources. Maybe it would work for a more arcade-ish game, but try and do that in GT4 and keep the level of realism? I don't think so.

A free-roam mode or checkpoint race (such as in NFSU2 or the old Midtown Madness) would be nice, even if they had to simplify the graphics to do it... I'd love to just wander around a town in a realistic-handling car. Plus, they could make space for the large map this qould require by using it for all the license tests.

Back