Search Problem

GilesGuthrie

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, UK
CMDRTheDarkLord
Hiya,
I wanted to post some vitriol about how bad a movie Blade II is, having just seen it. So I figured there must be a thread about it somewhere.

So I clicked on Search, then in "Search For", typed in "Blade II" (without the quotes). I selected "Movies and TV as the forum, "Show Results As Posts", and then "Search". It told me that the search term was below the minimum length!

Now I know it's probably picking up the second word, but perhaps this is something not particularly user-friendly? Perhaps in a multi-word search term, it should see that the first word does indeed meet the minimum length criteria?

Just a thought...

Yeah - I don't particuarly like that either. My remedy is to merely add an asterisk as the third character. Makes the searches more general, but it works.

Probably a crappy remedy, no?

I can sympathize with you Giles, I've ran into my own limit myself, but the reason for it is to prevent the size of the searchindex table in the forum database from growing too large (it already contains more than 102 MB of data by itself). By including 2 and 3 letter words in the index, the adverse effects might not be too pretty (and definitely not speedy). :(

to get up to the minimum word size I just throw in *s on each end.

"Blade *II*"

Bam, it'll work I believe.

~LoudMusic

Back