Skill issue or faulty wheel?

• Thread starter Omiyup
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought T300RS GT ed last week for Gt7. Tried making some laps and found the car is oversteering. Normally, using the controller I will countersteer it. Tried the same with the wheel. It didn’t work. Car still spinning even I already let the throttle off. The car won’t steer (I used stock 86 and S14 because I want to learn using the low power car), the steer also felt very light when I countersteer it, it felt it didn’t grip.

Is my wheel faulty?

Last edited:
Apologies if this may sound like a dumb, obvious question, but have you considered the fact that countersteering with the controller is always faster? It takes time to rotate the wheel, even if you're quick about it. With the controller you can get to opposite lock very quickly, as fast as the game allows.

Since you only recently acquired the wheel, it's entirely possible you're underestimating the amount of input required to properly countersteer a slide. Likewise, even if you succeed in gaining back the grip, you might find yourself snapping the opposite way next. Countersteering deadly oversteer can be quite tricky on wheel.

Something else is also worth noting. I only learned a bit later on, that you do have to turn the wheel all the way if the oversteer is strong enough. Simply stopping when the wheel seemingly does isn't enough when drifting in a great angle for example.

Based on the impression I have on the subject so far, skill issue.

Last edited:
Apologies if this may sound like a dumb, obvious question, but have you considered the fact that countersteering with the controller is always faster? It takes time to rotate the wheel, even if you're quick about it. With the controller you can get to opposite lock very quickly, as fast as the game allows.

Since you only recently acquired the wheel, it's entirely possible you're underestimating the amount of input required to properly countersteer a slide. Likewise, even if you succeed in gaining back the grip, you might find yourself snapping the opposite way next. Countersteering deadly oversteer can be quite tricky on wheel.

Something else is also worth noting. I only learned a bit later on, that you do have to turn the wheel all the way if the oversteer is strong enough. Simply stopping when the wheel seemingly does isn't enough when drifting in a great angle for example.

Based on the impression I have on the subject so far, skill issue.
I see, because I keep wondering why it won’t turn and the car lost the feedback when I countersteer (it felt the front is off the ground because it’s very light). So I keep wonder, is it because my wheel didn’t set properly, or faulty wheel that made the input isn’t being done? Outside the skill issue

Last edited:
I see, because I keep wondering why it won’t turn and the car lost the feedback when I countersteer (it felt the front is off the ground because it’s very light). Is it because my wheel didn’t set properly, or faulty wheel that made the input isn’t being done?
That I'm unable to answer. If you however didn't change any settings at all or barely anything, it's worth looking into.

For example with a G923, which is what I use, the Feedback strength between 1 and 10 is like a night and day difference.

It’s most likely you, and not the wheel. There is a fairly big learning curve, when going from controller to wheel, but once you make the switch, the wheel is a million times more fun to play racing games with. Just keep at it, you’ll get used to it eventually.

When I first got a wheel I hated it. I used to frequent drift lobbies all the time and loved being sideways. The wheel felt really foreign at first and I couldn't catch a slide at all. I've had a wheel now for 3 or 4 years and cannot even get close to drifting like I do on the controller but catching slides/snap oversteer is second nature. Well until it isn't lol. Give it time.

I see, because I keep wondering why it won’t turn and the car lost the feedback when I countersteer (it felt the front is off the ground because it’s very light). So I keep wonder, is it because my wheel didn’t set properly, or faulty wheel that made the input isn’t being done? Outside the skill issue
The feedback suddenly turning light is just a sign of losing traction.

What are your Force Feedback settings? I have the same wheel and I find that the FFB sensitivity around 6-7 is the sweet spot for me, any lower makes it harder for me to catch oversteer. FFB torque I keep at 3 or 4 depending on the car because that's the max the T300 can handle properly without clipping.

Last edited:
I don’t think the wheel is faulty. You just need to get used to using a wheel and getting your settings correct.

I keep the sensitivity at 3 and adjust torque between 4 and 7 depending on the car, the tires and the amount of downforce it has. Anything with comfort tires generally requires higher torque settings just to feel the road. Anything with high downforce and racing tires (like the Super Formula cars), I lower the torque so I’m not fighting the wheel for the whole race and can make much more subtle movements in the wheel and still feel the difference in tire grip.

Last edited:
There are a lot of built-in assists with controller steering, even with all in-game assists off, that help smooth your inputs and allow you to do things like catch slides with the absurdly small input range of a stick. As others have said, wheel is a learning curve but once you get used to it it'll be better.

Ah I see, I’m still looking for the right ffb setting, right now I’ m on 4/5, but the sensitivity kinda feels weird, setting it 1 and 7 doesn’t feel any different for me

Tried ACC yesterday, catching the oversteer is easier, ex: car oversteer to the right, I turn the wheel to the left and car back to normal. In GT7 if I did the same, the car will spin

I remember when I started using the wheel, it felt like te car was on ice. Besides some improvement in ffb settings, it's a matter of practice most probably, as ppl are saying.

Latest Posts

Back