Sony to release PS2 hard drive in March for $99

thats that im getting a new 100 giger. nother question though. would you be able to load the ps2 games onto the harddrive and play off of it?

Major hardware addons for consoles are never well supported. Just look at the Mega CD and the 32X. That's why the X-Box is a good overall package as a console, having all the gizmos integrated instead of having to buy them separately.

Originally posted by J3CD3R
would you be able to load the ps2 games onto the harddrive and play off of it?

No, unless someone creates a mod for it. I doubt sony would allow you to do something like that, it's basically allowing piracy.

Originally posted by Race Idiot
Major hardware addons for consoles are never well supported. Just look at the Mega CD and the 32X. That's why the X-Box is a good overall package as a console, having all the gizmos integrated instead of having to buy them separately.

To a certain degree, yes. You can also see it in things as simple as new technology. The presure sensitive buttons on the DS2 which were not present on the DS1 are rarely supported. The Multi-Tap is virtually ignored. The PS2 even has USB ports for criminy sake! It can support ANYTHING and yet most games don't support the hardware that is packaged with the console. Then again there are games like Red Faction 2 which support iLink, Network, Multitap and even USB keyboard / mouse.

No, unless someone creates a mod for it. I doubt sony would allow you to do something like that, it's basically allowing piracy.

Well, there are ways to avert such a situation, but in general you are correct.

The hard drive looks the same as a regualr computert harddrive. my question is does it need some type of OS on it and if you buy it from sony will it come with a cd you have to load. you can get a 40 gig hard drive for cheaper than 99.

Over at my local EB game store today and got a flyer that says "Save $50 after trade-in offer*" That offer being if you "trade-in 4 non-sport PS2, Xbox or GameCube games*" So you can get the HD FF XI package for $50. :P

are you able to buy ff XI by it self with out the hard drive cause if its like 54 dollars then im just going to buy a bigger harddrive cause i can. anyways i could use the harddrive for a extra storage on my desktop as well

are you able to buy ff XI by it self with out the hard drive...

Yes.

If FFXI detects a HDD, it will only cache some data on the drive. Thus, making the game load faster than without the HDD. It is not needed to play the game.

Trade in four games and get FFXI at a discounted price? When was the last time you've seen a Final Fantasy game discounted just to get it to sell? Something is terribly wrong with the 11th edition of Final Fantasy.

Originally posted by Viper Zero
Yes.

If FFXI detects a HDD, it will only cache some data on the drive. Thus, making the game load faster than without the HDD. It is not needed to play the game.

Trade in four games and get FFXI at a discounted price? When was the last time you've seen a Final Fantasy game discounted just to get it to sell? Something is terribly wrong with the 11th edition of Final Fantasy.

Oh, that's becoming the trend with games these days. It's not necessarily that the game is worse, just that there is more competition. I told you guys this was a good thing (:

ATTENTION

I would like to point out - everything I've said in this thread is an assumption. I do not know for a fact that Sony will not restrict hard drive usage to their packaged disk. I find it highly unlikely, but theoretically possible, that they would do such a thing.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
ATTENTION

I would like to point out - everything I've said in this thread is an assumption. I do not know for a fact that Sony will not restrict hard drive usage to their packaged disk. I find it highly unlikely, but theoretically possible, that they would do such a thing.

that would be gay if they did something like that

Thank god, I'm anxious for this arrival, I want to be able to clear up my memory card pretty bad. :D

Then, let's see. 40gig > 8mb. So I won't have to worry about space for a long long time.

Actually, I don't think it will be possible to use it as a standard memory device. I think games have to know how to use it.

But again, I have no proof - I am only asuming.

hehe I have already had a little bit of a head start on you guys. I have a character using my cousins account right now. It is said that I can transfer him over to my account when the HDD comes out.

It is Official, the PS2 HDD will be released to North America on March 23, 2004. The long awaited/ long delayed peripheral from Sony will come with Final Fantasy XI preinstalled and will cost around $99.99US. The drive will have 40 gigs of space and will be used to download future content for some of Sony's biggest hits as well as some 3rd party developers. As of right now Sony has commented that they will have downloadable content for SOCOM II and Syphon Filter Omega Strain for starters. Aside from using the HDD to download new content for video games and to help cut back on load times, rumour has it you will be able to download MP3s, watch streaming video and download new skins for the PS2. All this and the drive comes with Final Fantasy XI, makes this a must have for RPG fans everywhere. March 23, finally.

oh boy the mp3 **** allover again more people to bootleg songs and other things.

So they are using it for reduced load times? That would kick so much ass. That would make it even better than the XBox in load times! Rock on. ROCK ON!

Xbox caches games on its HDD too. If you play halo, then turn the system off then start it up again and pick the same level, it will load under a second. But I think after you play more then 3 games, the cache for the first game gets deleted.

Yeah I'm pretty sure because I have a mod chip and can view the files on my HD. You can also edit halo files so you can have the assault rifle shoot missles at rapid fire. In order to do this though, you have to first start the level(so it decompresses the file into the cache), then ftp it to your computer and edit it. Then ftp it back to your xbox so next time it starts up, it reads the file off the xbox, not the cd.

Latest Posts

Back