Star Wars: SquadronsPS4 

United Kingdom
bristol
smokebeer
Hi anyone else trying this out ? just got my copy today its running pretty well I will setup the VR headset later and try that as well :) does anyone have a ps4 flight stick id like to hear some ones exp of using it with this game i'm thinking of getting one.

Hi anyone else trying this out ? just got my copy today its running pretty well I will setup the VR headset later and try that as well :) does anyone have a ps4 flight stick id like to hear some ones exp of using it with this game i'm thinking of getting one.
I didn't even realize it was already going to be out! I am interested but in no rush right now - good news is that I can look up some reviews in the meantime and see how it pans out.

Bought it yesterday after waiting for reviews (still technically a preorder apparently, so got some little bonuses :)). Fired it up very briefly when it unlocked at midnight just to get through any initial setup niggles (need to log in to EA account to play the thing even though I bought it on Steam :yuck: :grumpy:).

Fully ready for Star Wars in VR and a few beers on a Friday night later on, just have to get through a day's work first :(

Playing wing commander on my old amiga I had dreams of this day lol and now its arrived I even learnt to build pc's just so I could play tie fighter its funny to read the posts moaning about games today over such silly things. Well I tried to wrap my old head around the controls and if it wasn't for wanting to use the VR set I would have It on pc and use my flightstick looks like I will have to get the ps4 hotas its weird no matter the setting I've tired :(

Playing wing commander on my old amiga I had dreams of this day lol and now its arrived I even learnt to build pc's just so I could play tie fighter its funny to read the posts moaning about games today over such silly things. Well I tried to wrap my old head around the controls and if it wasn't for wanting to use the VR set I would have It on pc and use my flightstick looks like I will have to get the ps4 hotas its weird no matter the setting I've tired :(

I really struggled with playing it on controller on Friday night. Being in a TIE and X-Wing is awesome but for some reason I couldn't get on with the default control config. Spent some more time with it today, and I've found something really simple that works for me - I've swapped the sticks over. On PC with a 360 pad the default has throttle/roll on the left stick and pitch/yaw on the right and this is what was messing me up - switched them over and for me at least it just works - might be worth a try before you invest in more gear (though I have no doubt HOTAS is the best way to play).

And now that I've got the controller settings ok - my god, this is a Star Wars and VR fan's dream. I've only played through the prologue having started again once I sorted out the controls, but 7 year old me can get stuffed - the 50 year old version is loving it :D

Thanks for the tips m8 I did try all the options and I start well but once I roll or strafe I use the wrong stick to steer and end up cutting the engines or flying into the side of a cap ship doh !

I am playing it using PS VR. What a game! Childhood dreams finally come true :D Awesome game.

Does the non-VR experience feel like the spaceflight elements of Battlefront II? Or, does it feel different.

It is much much different. It is like comparing Battlefront to Elite Dangerous. It is much more complex and deep than Battlefront 2 flying.

It is much much different. It is like comparing Battlefront to Elite Dangerous. It is much more complex and deep than Battlefront 2 flying.

Hmmm. I hated the space flight elements in Battlefront II, it felt so disconnected, with no real sensation of what's going on... I'm not sure though, if that's because I totally sucked at it, or because it was too simplistic.

Does this game work in PSVR with the standard Playstation 4? I don't have a Pro but might be prepared to get PSVR for this.

Hmmm. I hated the space flight elements in Battlefront II, it felt so disconnected, with no real sensation of what's going on... I'm not sure though, if that's because I totally sucked at it, or because it was too simplistic.

Does this game work in PSVR with the standard Playstation 4? I don't have a Pro but might be prepared to get PSVR for this.
Yeh its much better than the flying in bf2 I thought they were just going to do a standalone version of that thank god they didn't they must be fans of the old games :) from what I saw it will run fine on standard ps4 just make sure you have a 3.0 usb hub and if its on a ex drive you might run out of ports even with a hub.My rear port broke last month and its a nightmare now if I want to use my wheel the psvr and keyboard etc didn't think its worth fixing with the ps5 being so close oh and psvr will work on the ps5 but we will need a adapter for some sort

I do have one and it's linked to my PSN account [otherwise I don't think I'd be able to play Apex or BF1] but it doesn't let me play other games, giving me an error.
I was getting one as well I had to change some setting in the ps4 to allow it to join online I think its in the child settings change it to whatever the top option was and it worked

I was getting one as well I had to change some setting in the ps4 to allow it to join online I think its in the child settings change it to whatever the top option was and it worked
Tried that and many more solutions like reading through EA forums about others who get the same error, help desk chat etc.

Grrr still waiting on the hotas to arrive hopefully before the weekend (sold out everywhere)nearly went and got the pc version just to use a joystick but times are tight and child me wants to use VR so I will wait for now and maybe get it on sale on steam or origin one day. Do you think the save progress will carry over between systems and is it cross play btw I never thought to check ?

I am interested in this.

Mostly because PSVR.

I got my PSVR like a year ago but havent used it that much.

Its a bit boring in GT Sport to only drive time trials, I used it mostly in Dirt rally where its really good.

I do have a litle problems with motion sickness. I mostly only play 15-20 minutes at a time to get used to it. And its getting better and better the more I use it.

How is it with motion sickness in this game ?

I am interested in this.

Mostly because PSVR.

I got my PSVR like a year ago but havent used it that much.

Its a bit boring in GT Sport to only drive time trials, I used it mostly in Dirt rally where its really good.

I do have a litle problems with motion sickness. I mostly only play 15-20 minutes at a time to get used to it. And its getting better and better the more I use it.

How is it with motion sickness in this game ?

I think it is different for every person. For me I was a little bit dizzy when tried it for the first time, but after couple of sessions i got used to it and don't feel anything.

Seems fine by me. Besides, there were still the Operations where you can get an extra helmet design if you complete a challenge relating to that Operation - they're like seasons, where they plan to rotate them every eight weeks, and your rank (but not experience level) gets reset every season. Y'know, like in most competitive game modes.

Anyway, I think I might get this game over the weekend. I know/care very little about the "lore" beyond the movies and maybe a few videogames, so I don't even know if I'll use any of the extra helmets or ship liveries. I'll have to take a look at what sort of ship liveries would represent a respectable level of skill or the completion of a special challenge, but if it turns out it's just going to be a reference to some obscure "Legends" content - some Star Wars TV show, comic book, novel, or whatever - then I'll just stick with the "stock" designs - and perhaps make the pilot look as much like me as possible. Not that I recall anybody in Star Wars ever wearing glasses, but whatever.

Last edited:
Sweet the T.flight4 arrived today plugged it into the pc just to update its firmware then had a blast on ps4 only changed a few controls and then went VR(not sure if it works on the ps4 but on pc if I plug my t300 t3pa peds into the stick they can be used as rudders)
My 1st VR mission

Woot hehe completed the story what their was and hmmm I ended up skipping some of the side stories didn't find them very interesting the missions bits very cool though but it does feel like half a game by the end so lets hope we get more games or a nice ps5 update/dlc to carry it on. The hotas was well worth getting it worked well for the planes in the crew 2 as well might get ace combat next :)
My score would be about 7.5 as a game but as a star wars nerd and big lover of all things space its a easy 8 but add the hotas and VR its a 9 for me best star wars I played for a long while it just needed to be longer :)

Tempting to get this on sale on ps store ps4, is the single player enough to satisfy for a while?

I like the fleet battles, looks fun, but not sure just with ai and if gets repetitive and too simple in the long run.
Unless there's variety in how things play out often. I dont use vr. But i love flight and space games, and sci fi.
Edit: i liked the old pc games independence war, had some feel, inertia, physics to it.
1st one you could even switch to a a kind of free cam from outside view, to maneuver tactically.

Last edited:
Back