Starbound

bluemoon_19

Premium
United Kingdom
England, Yorkshire
bluemoon_19
logo-george.png

I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this game yet. For anyone who has played Terraria this game is like that but set in space! Yes you go from planet to planet in your space ship making cool weapons, Armour, fighting bad guys and when all thats done find a nice planet to call home.

The game is currently on steam early access and is pretty cheap at £12. Only played a bit myself, its pretty hard compared to Terraria but it looks like there is a lot of good gaming in this one.

So has anyone else played this game? and what do you think? There is still lots of work to be done on the game but even at this early stage it looks promising.

Official site is here

I didn't really like Terraria, I'm not really sure why but I just sort of bounced off it. I bought Starbound because it sounds like it has more depth and, unlike Terraria, is still being actively developed (of course, it's still in beta) so there's a chance whatever it was that I didn't like about Terraria will be fixed in Starbound.

I need to give co-op a try and probably read up about various things because I didn't really know what I was doing when I first played, but it's promising for sure.

I loved Terraria on PS3 has to be one the best PSN game I ever bought. Starbound does seem to have a lot more scope with tones more items to craft (says 1000's on website). I have a friend who is planning on getting a server for starbound soon once a few more things are implemented so I will update that when I can.

To say the game is beta is pretty stable only played 3 hours but not encountered any bugs and it hasn't crashed at all.

My wife and I have been playing Starbound together. :) Honestly, it's the first pixellated block mining game to truly capture my interest.

Exploration is rewarding and captivating; I like the races/setting, and the story stuff lends a lot more meaning to the open-ended gameplay than the "other" games. Even without the full quest system implemented yet, going out and discovering ruins, active settlements, and NPC traders and bandits and violent religious zealots makes every new excursion worthwhile. And then the environment itself offers its own challenges and fun -- I braved an icy planet with inadequate attire by toting around a campfire to warm up every several seconds, and my wife and I have already had to seek shelter from acid rain and meteor showers. Playing with the liquid/particle physics is neat, too.

I like that the new update has made it easier to acquire guns. With the projectile weapons, low-gravity jumping, colorfully rendered alien caverns, and ability techs (including the "morph ball" I hope to find sometime!), it feels quite a bit like Super Metroid with an infinite number of worlds to explore. 👍

Like all games like this, it's definitely better with a friend, and a bit of roleplaying/creativity that isn't strictly necessary, like building a house/farm and camping out when night falls on other worlds.

With the new update last week started playing, Found 48 diamond ore in above ground chests. Just going onto the Beta sector now. Quite easy in the early stages with the right equipment.

Only issue I have currently is pixels. Seems like I get too involved into something and just upgrade instead of buying the things I need. :banghead:

Last edited:
With the new update last week started playing, Found 48 diamond ore in above ground chests. Just going onto the Beta sector now. Quite easy in the early stages with the right equipment.

Only issue I have currently is pixels. Seems like I get too involved into something and just upgrade instead of buying the things I need. :banghead:

I suppose you know of the refinery? That can turn ore into pixels? very handy

I managed to get to the core of a planet yesterday and along the way I found like a sewage biome. Only reason I mention it is because I don't know if i lucked out but it was packed full of ore. Got some platinum, diamond and loads of silver also defeated the second boss and moved into the gamma? sector

I suppose you know of the refinery? That can turn ore into pixels? very handy

I know that, but I've been more or less turning things to make it easier to move on than to make that, but I should make it. I actually found more random than the things I need. I got a crossbow and a plasma gun.

I have been playing this quiet a lot over the last week and so far am up to the delta sector. I found these to weapons in chests on 1 planet both legendary rarity. got the item needed for the next boss so I will soon be in the X-sector.

Just now I finally got my diamond drill crafted. Its very expensive to make you need to make all the previous drills then to make this one costs 6400 pixels, platinum drill and 20 diamonds (80 diamond ore)
weapon2_zps7789b207.jpg

weapon_zps04615df2.jpg

I just about have enough to do the diamond drill. Just got into the Delta sector, got a plasma rifle. 7 energy per shot (compared to my 15 energy per shot pistol) Now just need to find a decent food source now.

Just hit my diamond drill and X sector. Not too bad. Didn't know how hard iron was to find in higher levels. Blah.

Last edited:
Yeah iron isn't really needed in the higher levels. I kinda broke the x sector. I went to a threat level 10 planet and instantly went underground as I wasn't ready for that level. Found 2 enemy's guarding chest on the surface so I ninja ed the loot from below :lol:. Now I have a 2000 DPS sword that can destroy anything lol just need better Armour for the higher threat planets now.

Yeah iron isn't really needed in the higher levels. I kinda broke the x sector. I went to a threat level 10 planet and instantly went underground as I wasn't ready for that level. Found 2 enemy's guarding chest on the surface so I ninja ed the loot from below :lol:. Now I have a 2000 DPS sword that can destroy anything lol just need better Armour for the higher threat planets now.

I wanted the lantern stick and I was on delta, So I had to go back to get iron then go forward.

Edit: Why does everything require coal. Grr. I don't collect it since I don't think I need it. Then I look it up and find out I need it. :banghead:

Last edited:
@TJ13 -- Farming trees to burn for charcoal was a great lazy way to collect it in the previous patch. I think they slowed the rate of tree growth now, so it's not as effective anymore, but whenever you're crafting/smelting/fiddling with things you might as well grow some saplings during that time.

Before the wipe, my wife and I had a homestead on our beginning alpha planet, set up so the teleporter beamed you onto the front stoop. We kept all of our crap there, and with the free "home planet" teleport from anywhere in the universe, we could simply chop & replant trees whenever we stopped by to unload our inventory or craft/smelt. And the alpha sector creatures made for good hunting. There are some advantages to not living out of your ship.

I just reached the top teir armor just this morning, Ever since pixels were not used up it was quite easy. Now just trying to find decent weapons to go with it.

Lots of great news coming from PlayStarbound.com in the past couple months!

Chucklefish is finishing up a new terrain rendering system and other fixes that improve performance by 30%, totally revamping monster combat/spawning, and getting work done on trading outposts. They're also starting to lay the groundwork for the questing system, the path of progression the game is actually meant to have, and the last playable race (called the Novakids). This game is going to be truly epic. :D

Since the Novakids are wild west themed, Chucklefish is considering allowing them to craft guns from the outset in place of melee weapons. I'm definitely going to try one, though I'll probably pair my Glitch character with the shotgun-wielding Novakid that my wife wants to make.

Anyone who already "finished" the game would do well to keep an eye on the progress they're making. 👍 What existed through winter/spring was only a rough outline!

been looking forward to this patch been a long while since I last played but I always check the website to see what they been doing. I was hoping that the game might of been bit further than this after 1 year but it seems like the team has so many ideas its still got a way to go yet.

The new stable branch update is now live!

There are too many new things for me to describe them all myself, but I had already been playing with most of the changes for a while, on the unstable branch. The game is less about survival now, and shares a little more in common with Metroid as well as traditional RPG-style gameplay. There are quests to complete (still WIP) and you can unlock techs (instead of having to find one in a chest) to gain new abilities. Like Metroid, there are suit upgrades which allow you to explore more planets (eg. oxygen supply for airless environments), and dungeons can now be "locked" so you can't dig or build your way past obstacles/hazards until you disable a shield generator, which makes platforming skill more relevant. On that note, combat has improved, and the jumping physics are easier to control.

Over time, Chucklefish has been honing in on what I feel is a good balance on various things, between risk and reward, discovery and crafting, costs and benefits, etc. The game is progressing better than ever, and I'm glad to be a part of it. :D

Game sure has changed since I played it, since the main thing was getting the drill which you could repair now you can't so it goes back to the Matter thing.

Back