• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 13 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The "Test Drive" series has been one of the longest-running racing game series since 1987 (correct?). So with this review, I take a look at the latest installment in this series, "Test Drive: Eve of Destruction." Cool name, eh? Anyhow, on to my review of this demo.

The game looks to feature 26 cars and several different racing environments. The demo features a Figure 8, a Demolition Derby, a Big Jump Race, and an event called a Suicide Surprise. Apparently, you are known as the "Widow Maker" as you go through these races and more. The action is more of Americana and what makes American racing great- drama and action. One of my favorite events is the Demolition Derby because it's just you, pwning 13 other chumps. Don't expect any pretty cars in this game, because the cars are mostly rusty and ugly-looking muscle cars. No, not ugly as in Aston Martin Lagonda ugly, but ugly as in windowless, unrestored-looking, mostly American cars. The video features buses and Ambulances in action.

The music is grungy rock music, so you know I'm not a big fan of this kind of music, coupled with the kind of action here. This is more of stuff you'd see covered when "Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain" comes out of a commercial break for when fake racing (like "short track" and "dirt" track races) is usually shown before getting back to phone calls and E-mails. The action is pretty fun even though I'm not really a bash-'em-up racing fan. It may be grassroots racing on the edge, but if I wanted some something I'd like, it would be real racing on rally courses, or a wonderful sportscar/endurance race taking on technical courses. But fans of this genre of driving/racing, get psyched!

--------------------
REVIEW SHEET:

CONCEPT AND EXECUTION: 8.75/10
SOUND: 7.75/10 (good sounds, the announcer is an ass. I'm sorry. NOT my style of driving)
GRAPHICS: 8.50/10
CHALLENGE: Moderate
MUSIC: 8/10
PROSPECTS OF SUCCESS FOR FINAL RELEASE: 8/10 (Very Good)

OVERALL: 8.25/10 (a lot of great action. I kind of didn't get into it as much as I wanted to.)

The demo seemed a bit easy. I think this game might be a good rental.

It is a good game for demolition derby fans.

TEST DRIVE: EVE OF DESTRUCTION GAME ON X-BOX {not the demo}

i just got it, i played it for about an hour at the store and had so much fun i had to buy it :D

its not online, but its a really fun game with 25 insane events, 30 vehicals, single race mode, career mode, and multiplayer and i have the X-BOX version so i can listen to my own music ;)

When the test Drive boys released TEST DRIVE, I think that was a mistake. That game sucked so hard.

But I get the demo game in Playstation Magazine and I find it quiet fun.

As of now, the game is out now. I just seen it for PS2 at a GameCrazy store.

Get down to the 15th ranking and its starts getting really tough. Especially the side missions. No one mentioned it but you can paint anything on your car that you want to. Anything. My favorite missions are the push off missions. Some of the rings are so much fun. The AI gets smarter and smarter the more you increase your rank. Overall its a decent game. Mabey not worth buying but a decent rental that has over 25+ hours of gameplay.

I just beat Test Drive: Eve of Destruction about 5 minutes ago. Probably had about 18-25 hours into it. Hardcore redneck game but still fun. :lol: I would say over all its a good rental and thats about it.

The demo was a lot of fun, but still, now worthy of a high dollar purchase. So, I will definitely get it, once it has gone on sale for 20 bucks.

Latest Posts

Back