The Avengers: Age of Ultron is Live. Don't forget the Spoiler Tags, Damnit.Movies 

• Thread starter niky
  • 377 comments

niky

Karma Chameleon
Staff Emeritus
Philippines
Philippines
The Avengers: Some Assembly Required

Superhero teams are like an eat-all-you-can hotel buffet. Heaping platters full of awesome all laid out for your pleasure. If your team starts out as a team, like “The X-Men”, then there’s a shared flavour . It looks like X-Men, smells like X-Men and tastes like X-Men. Ensembles made up of solo superheroes, however, are another matter entirely. It's hard to reconcile differing histories, powers, technologies and magic systems and often different laws of physics (Vibraium? Adamantium? Arc Reactors?) into 32 pages of Superhero mish-mash.

Then there’s the headache of putting that all on sreen. It’s telling that despite the huge popularity of the cartoons and video games, there’s never been a serious attempt at a Justice League movie... or an Avengers Movie.

Until now.

This was perhaps the Mount Everest of Marvel Comic movies. As such, it required a lot of preparation, with several movies to expound the heroes’ different back stories. And yet, despite this, it was still going to be a challenge. Could you fit the dour and dramatic Hulk mythos into the same movie as a wise-cracking Iron Man? How do you explain a Boy Scout Supersoldier working for a sneaky Secret Spy Organization? Could you really mix Norse Mythology with aliens and get away with it?

Apparently, yes you can.

Joss Whedon is no stranger to movies with ensemble casts. And there is no director quite as immersed in comic culture. Somehow he manages to weave such an unwieldy melange of elements into a whole. Let’s dissect those elements one by one.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps20.png

Being the most developed characters of the film franchises, Robert Downey Junior's Iron Man/Tony Stark was always in danger of running away with the whole show. Sort of like Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine in the “X” films. Thankfully, he doesn’t, despite an excellent performance (once again) by Robert Downey Jr. Instead, he finds the perfect foil in Captain America, laying the groundwork for their fabled friendship and rivalry perfectly over the course of the film. I still don't like the new Cap suit, but i don't hate it, anymore.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps33.png

Joss Whedon’s Nick Fury is a complex mix of cold-blooded spy, idealistic leader and bad-ass mutha... giving Samuel L. Jackson a chance to stretch his legs a bit. It’s a refreshing change from the simply dour Fury seen in splashes in the other film. Agent Phil Coulson gets much, much better dialogue and scenes than the chunky stuffed dished out to him in Iron Man and Thor. He also gets a personality. The last part of the SHIELD puzzle is Cobie Smulders, who plays Maria Hill, Nick Fury’s “by-the-book” second-in-command. She does a commendable job of playing counterpoint to Fury. She also does an excellent job of looking better in a skintight jumpsuit than Scarlett Johansson does. Even without opening her zipper halfway down her cleavage.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps41.png

That said, both Hawkeye and Black Widow receive some much needed screen-time and back-story, and Whedon makes much, much better use of Scarlett Johannson’s talents than Jon Favreau did in the “Iron Man” films. What can I say? Joss loves chicks who kick ass.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps19.png

Thor is more grave and mature this time around, a change that comes naturally in the progression of the “Thor” story arc. Fully in-character, he plays the perfect straight man for jokes and wise-cracks.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps7.png

Mark Ruffalo’s casting as Bruce Banner was picture perfect. Bruce Banner is no suave action hero, and neither is Mark. He’s unkempt, quirky and funny, bringing a humanity to the character that was lacking in both of the recent Hulk films. Ruffalo looks a lot like Bill Bixby’s Banner, but truth be told, he’s the best Bruce Banner we’ve had thus far. Combined with a Lou Ferrigno (oh, yesssss) voiced Hulk, this character was the exclamation point on the film, despite not getting the lion’s share of screen time. Probably because we’ve never seen the Hulk done quite this well.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps.png

It’s hard to talk about the story without giving anything away, but yes, it involves an alien invasion. Yes, it involves Loki. Thankfully, with the wishy-washy emo backstory out of the way, Tom Hiddleston can focus on channeling his inner "Hannibal the Cannibal". Yes, it involves your classic heroic misunderstanding battle... more than one, in fact. And yes, it is awesome. The Avengers plays out like a comic book. No, not like a cruddy one-dimensional manga-wannabe, but an honest-to-goodness, action-packed, character-developing, quick-paced American-style comic book. I’m not going to pretend it’s perfect. Like a comic book, you'll need to read some of the back-issues to get up to speed, but even a ten-year old can follow the story. And there are the slow panels, and places where they could have gone for more dramatic camera angles. But, like Favreau with Iron Man, Whedon never pretends this is high cinema, which is a Freaking Good Thing.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps42.png

If you know your Whedon, you’ll know what to expect: Great one-liners, well-crafted dialogue, good pacing, anti-cliche plot twists, chicks kicking ass and a genuine rollercoaster of a good time. It all ends with a battle scene that’s as long and drawn-out as in "Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Fallen", but where the former leaves you bored to death halfway through, this one had the audience on their feet and cheering from beginning to end. Shallow, popcorn cinema hardly gets any better than this.

Avengers%20Trailer%20Screencaps58.png

images stolen from here:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=47921

9/10 - Hulk Smash puny critics!

Last edited:
I'm seeing this at Midnight, May 4th here in the US. Fantastic review. I'll do a second opinion that may run along the same praise and accolades that you gave it.

Those Midnight showings will be fun. A movie is best enjoyed with like-minded fanatics. :D That adds to the good vibe, somewhat, and I think it enhanced my enjoyment of the film. ;)

I saw it today. And I found it excellent. It was ridiculous, over-the-top and it embraced its escapism.

I think THE AVENGERS has a lot in common with the recently-released THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (which was co-written by Whedon and also starred Hemsworth). CABIN was a savvy deconstruction of the horror genre, playing with audience expectations and generally having a lot of fun with tropes of the last thirty or so years. THE AVENGERS doesn't go to the same extremes as CABIN, but I did find it to be remarkably self-aware, and whether consciously or not, I think it addressed many of the things that I (and probably others) think are are wrong with comic book movies.

Far too many comic book films these days are very self-conscious affairs. It's like they're ashamed of the way they were conceived as light entertainment that found a niche with teenage boys, and they're desperate to escape that idea. We do have Christopher Nolan to blame for this a little. Don't get me wrong; I think the Nolan Bat-films are excellent, but they did start a trend where film-makers were fixated on the idea of creating a universe where their characters could exist regardless of how outlandinsh the central idea was.

THE AVENGERS, on the other hand, knows this, and it avoids it like the plague. It helps that the film is written by Joss Whedon, who probably understands what makes them tick better than anyone else (especially since, as a comic book writer, it was his job to make them tick). The net result is that this is a film where invisible flying aircraft carriers can and do exist. Shamelessly. It's escapism in its purest form, and that is what a comic book film should be. I left the cinema disappointed that it was over (though it did make me want to see THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE INCREDIBLE HULK, none of which I've actually seen).

I'll admit, as someone who values a good story, there's not actually much in the way of plot here. But that's not the point - the ending is a foregone conclusion, and Whedon knows it. THE AVENGERS is less about how the character thwart Loki's plans, and more about how they get to the point where they can. During production, Whedon said he wanted to make THE AVENGERS like David Mamet's GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, which is about (of all things) four rival real estate agents and the lengths they will go to to keep their jobs. THE AVENGERS very much does this, with everyone butting heads on a regular basis, so it creates a really interesting team dynamic.

One almost wishes it were a TV series, huh? :lol:

-

I was pondering this same point while writing, but didn't want to go too in-depth... what I think Whedon does excellently is avoid wangst. That awful, suffocating demon that afflicts all the Batman, X-Men and Spiderman films. Whedon knows how to give us small doses of emotion and drama, but he doesn't let it bog down the film.

One of the more excellent examples of this is the Widow-Loki "interrogation". I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Thor is a decent film... though I felt the plot was a bit uneven, and Hiddleston was, again, handicapped by character development. Captain America is much better, and I really miss the Cap suit from that movie... The Incredible Hulk is relatively okay... Edward Norton isn't quite as captivating a Banner as Ruffalo was... though he's a sight better than Eric Bana.

Nice review 👍 Just one thing though erm who was the bad guy right at the end after the credits that looked like Hellboy??

Thanos.
what I think Whedon does excellently is avoid wangst. That awful, suffocating demon that afflicts all the Batman, X-Men and Spiderman films.
To be fair the the Batman films, there is quite a bit of pain deeply embedded in the character, so it's not as bad as in some of the other franchises out there. And it was entirely appropriate in BATMAN BEGINS when Bruce Wayne was plotting to take out Joe Cool early in the film - he was, after all, a teenager. It;s kind of like product placement: when handled correctly and placed somewhere you would expect to find it under ordinary circumstances, its presence might be felt, but it isn't jarring. I don't really see any wangst in the scripts of BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, though Christian Bale does lay it on a little thick in places.

I think that history will remember both THE AVENGERS and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES as being so totally opposite that they can't really be compared. THE AVENGERS was the first real comic book film, where you felt like you were enveloped in the pages of a comic. But RISES' nihilistic tone and themes separate it completely, mostly because Batman is not a super-powered character, but simply someone with a very high skill set.

Last edited:
I watched this movie and found it hilarious. Especially because scenes that seemed to become serious were quickly changed in comical. (Hulk and Thor, for example)

Going to check this movie in IMAX 3D tonight... Can't wait! :)

Nice review 👍 Just one thing though erm who was the bad guy right at the end after the credits that looked like Hellboy??

Some say that he will be a reoccurring villain in the second round of Marvel's "Road to the Avengers". Some say that I can not think of a second one that is funnier than Jeremy Clarkson's on his worst day. All we know is he is called Thanos.

All joking aside, Thanos is seen with the Infinity Gauntlet in the ending scene. Some also say that he is voiced by Jeffery Wright(of James Bond fame).

I watched this movie and found it hilarious. Especially because scenes that seemed to become serious were quickly changed in comical. (Hulk and Thor, for example)
That's Joss Whedon for you - the film got more laughs than most modern comedies. The line about Loki being adopted was particularly good.

I love how Tony (Robert Downey) comes into the movie all a-swagger and absolutely full of himself, and everybody gets to beat up on him.

Some say, he shaves with a rake. While others claim that his favorite song is "Deep Purple." All we know is, he's called Thanos!

Thanos wasn't such a surprise, considering he's been rumored... neither were the Skrulls/Chiataru. But I'm hoping that Marvel give Whedon more creative freedom during the next story arc. Marvel literally forced him to use an alien invasion plot, where he could have instead put the Avengers up against super-aliens and villains collected together by Loki. Maybe next movie...

I don't really see any wangst in the scripts of BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, though Christian Bale does lay it on a little thick in places.

It was totally appropriate in "Begins", since it's an origin story. And it's nice to see an origin story with Bruce Wayne in full vengeance mode off the bat instead of merely just sulking around.

But it's been done, over and over... and over... in all the films, all the cartoons... and all the (standalone) comics. Notable exceptions being "The Brave and The Bold" escapist nostalgia cartoons and anything pre-70's.

I am looking forward to "Rises"... Anne Hathaway is a good actress, who throws herself headlong into any role thrown at her... I'd love to see what she makes of Catwoman. Word is she's attempting to channel her inner Pfeiffer for the movie.

...THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (which was co-written by Whedon and also starred Hemsworth). CABIN was a savvy deconstruction of the horror genre, playing with audience expectations and generally having a lot of fun with tropes of the last thirty or so years.

Saw the trailer. As soon as I heard the lines: "Let's split up. I really think we should split up." I knew I wanted to see it...

I'm hoping that Marvel give Whedon more creative freedom during the next story arc. Marvel literally forced him to use an alien invasion plot, where he could have instead put the Avengers up against super-aliens and villains collected together by Loki. Maybe next movie...
That, I think, would have been a mistake.

To draw a parallel, I think Tim Burton blew it when he used the Joker the original BATMAN film. He didn't really have a choice, because it was one of the first mainstream superhero films, so there was a lot riding on it. But because the film dealt with Bruce Wayne's origins, the Joker was not as fleshed out as he could have been, and therefore lacked the impact that he could have had (iconic as he was). But Christopher Nolan got it right when he made BEGINS - he took the time to make a thorough origin story, and saved the Joker for THE DARK KNIGHT. This meant that by the time Bats and the Joker met, Bats was a lot more established and the film could get right into the nature of their relationship.

Whedon, I think, recognised this very early on. The Marvel Cinematic Universe was no accident, and he started planning THE AVENGERS using the unfilmed scripts of THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA. It's obvious that he has drawn on all of the films for influence, and if he does THE AVENGERS 2, then I imagine that he would do the same thing. He knew that, althought each of the characters was established in each of their films, THE AVENGERS was itself an origin story. Marvel might have forced him to use an invasion plot, but if he was dealt a free hand, then I think Whedon would have gone with it anyway. He knew that the end result - the Avengers stopping the Chitauri invasion - was a foregone conclusion. And by keeping that in mind, he was able to shift the focus of the film. It stopped being about how the Avengers ended the invasion, and started being about how they got to the point where they could end it. And that's where Whedon's gift as a storyteller lies.

If he comes back for THE AVENGERS 2 (and given the reception the film is currently getting, I'd say it's highly likely), then he can start exploring the bigger, more complicated threats. The Avengers are now fully-established as a team; the films don't really need to go over the dynamics of what motivates them to work together. The Tesseract and the Chitauri invasion were just framing devices for that. THE AVENGERS 2 can do what THE DARK KNIGHT did: jump straight in with an iconic villain, pit the heroes up against him/her/it without wasting time on who the heroes are and how they came together, and start exploring a bigger story.

Saw it yesterday. Liked it a lot. It was way better than I expected it to be. 👍 Great balance between the characters, good laughs, state of the art special effects, and a good story... :)

Was worth the coin :)... ohh wait... I didn't pay the tickets yesterday :lol:

Saw this in IMAX 3D yesterday and I was blown away. For a comic book movie this was just EPIC. I laughed to know end at the clever one liners and the Hulk made my day :) I don't do this often but this deserves a 9/10. I have no critical points and the only thing that annoyed me sometimes was Hawkeye... :P

Last edited:
That, I think, would have been a mistake.
...snip....

Pretty good points, all. But I think that the ending would have been a bit more convincing if instead of, say, waves of faceless, easy-to-kill orcs, they had perhaps something more substantial? But then again, too many "tanks" would give Cap, Hawkeye and Black Widow nothing much to do.

Interesting take on Burton... I agree on the Nolan angle, but I thought that giving the Bat and the Joker a shared origin was a clever touch... especially since it gave us some great dialogue:

I say "I made you" you gotta say "you made me." I mean, how childish can you get?

I think he pulled it off, but then, of course, that movie was a looooong time ago.

But I concur... maybe not putting the Avengers up against a super-villain team was a good idea, since it made the story more about them. Some thoughts, though...

Was Loki's staff powered by an Infinity Gem? A lot of people seem to think so....

Was Loki's staff powered by an Infinity Gem? A lot of people seem to think so....
It's entirely possible. The source of the staff's power is never clearly stated, and it appears that Loki himself does not know. If it is a Infinity Gem, then it is most likely the green soul gem, which is strange because the staf clearly emits a blue light, and I don't think that is the kind of detail Joss Whedon would knowingly miss (though the blue mind gem could control the thoughts and actions of others, the green gem seems a better fit to me). It is also implied that the staff is powered by the Tesseract, as it seems to radiate similar energy.

I think the presence of the Infinity Gems in THE AVENGERS 2 would hinge on the way the next set of stand-alone films play out. Tom Hiddleston reckons that Loki has it in him to be good, and that THOR 2 could explore him redeeming himself. Which is right up Whedon's alley because it's going to create a very interesting Angel-Spike situation; Angel was a champion because he was forced into it, but Spike consciously chose to help Buffy and the Scoobies, even before he was chipped and later ensouled (when Angelus first emerged and tried to awaken Acathla, Spike told Buffy where to find him because he liked the way the world was and didn't want to see it destroyed). In the Marvel universe, Thor is obligated to help earth because he is indebted to them; he said as much at the end of THOR. But if Loki redeems himself, he could be in a position where he can choose to help earth.

So looking forward to this on Friday. I've heard some stuff and it has me grinning from ear-to-ear. :D

It's entirely possible. The source of the staff's power is never clearly stated, and it appears that Loki himself does not know. If it is a Infinity Gem, then it is most likely the green soul gem, which is strange because the staf clearly emits a blue light, and I don't think that is the kind of detail Joss Whedon would knowingly miss (though the blue mind gem could control the thoughts and actions of others, the green gem seems a better fit to me). It is also implied that the staff is powered by the Tesseract, as it seems to radiate similar energy.

I think the presence of the Infinity Gems in THE AVENGERS 2 would hinge on the way the next set of stand-alone films play out. Tom Hiddleston reckons that Loki has it in him to be good, and that THOR 2 could explore him redeeming himself. Which is right up Whedon's alley because it's going to create a very interesting Angel-Spike situation; Angel was a champion because he was forced into it, but Spike consciously chose to help Buffy and the Scoobies, even before he was chipped and later ensouled (when Angelus first emerged and tried to awaken Acathla, Spike told Buffy where to find him because he liked the way the world was and didn't want to see it destroyed). In the Marvel universe, Thor is obligated to help earth because he is indebted to them; he said as much at the end of THOR. But if Loki redeems himself, he could be in a position where he can choose to help earth.

I've always liked the "Spike" character better... :D

I think the Mind Control gem is exactly what it is... Big question... We know there'll be another THOR and another IRON MAN, but could there be a future for the CAPTAIN AMERICA or HULK franchise at this point?

Saw this yesterday, thought it was a really fantastic film. It feels really well-made, the visuals are stunning. And I really didn't find any clichéd dialogue, it was pretty well written (considering the genre).

All in all, Joss Whedon has done a great job with this film. It is the best film I've seen so far in 2012, and certainly one of the most entertaining films I've seen in quite a while. I give this film five fishy juices out of five possible.

To sum it up... Go see it, quickly! :lol:

Don't think I need a spoiler tag for this post... :P

I mentioned "cliché" in the review because it was so not clichéd it was anti-clichéd. If you think you know exactly what's coming up next, you've got another think coming. That's why I love Whedon, he knows what the audience expects, and he aims to surprise and delight them.

It was really good, although a guy in the cinema who thought that he would enhance the experience for everyone else by adding his own sound effects during the screening spoiled it. Also there was a guy directly behind me who literally laughed his ass off at every single joke - even the unfunny ones.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it.

It was really good, although a guy in the cinema who thought that he would enhance the experience for everyone else by adding his own sound effects during the screening spoiled it. Also there was a guy directly behind me who literally laughed his ass off at every single joke - even the unfunny ones.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it.

There are always some stupid high school kids who think they're being funny and cool by doing something like that. There were a few in my theater too.

astrosdude91
There are always some stupid high school kids who think they're being funny and cool by doing something like that. There were a few in my theater too.

Yeah. The guy who was laughing though was genuinely finding it funny. :lol:

I remember going to the cinema years back and during the film a guy shouted telling some annoying brats to shut up. Was pretty funny at the time.

This movie was very well done, the new take on the Hulk works very well compared to the previous movies.
Saw it in 3D last night...:drool:

raz_10
This movie was very well done, the new take on the Hulk works very well compared to the previous movies.
Saw it in 3D last night...:drool:

I loved the way they balanced the attention of the characters out rather evenly. There was no real prominent figure out of all the characters in my opinion. I expected Iron Man or the Hulk to be on screen all of the time, but that was not the case.

Back