Thoughts On Drivers From The Open Lobby

• Thread starter Peelster1
  • 18 comments
United States
Eastern USA
Peelster1
I'm feeling a bit conflicted at the moment GTP. I just hosted a Daytona 400 NASCAR race that started out quite awfully to the point where I had to kick some drivers after 30 laps and restart the race with 130 laps to go. In addition, even after that we didn't ever have Green Flag stops. I believe this is due to the fact that I allowed some drivers from the open lobby to race. They were patient enough for qualifying and they seemed to listen for the most part with a few questions interrupting me when I was explaining the rules and regulations of the race during the drivers meeting. By the end of the race a few of the drivers that were on my friends list had left the race due to it getting late because of the issues before the race and in the first 30 laps. The majority of the drivers left over were drivers that joined from the open lobby. The victor of this race was a guy from Finland that decided to stay up going into 8 o'clock in the morning. I would definitely race with him again.

On the other side of things, back in February I hosted a Daytona 500 NASCAR race that didn't get hardly any interest from the members here at GTP and the only reason it ran at all was because of a sudden surge of drivers from the open lobby and it went quite well, we even had a couple of Green Flag stops. It is due to this that I don't just kick a driver that I don't know immediately from my room.

Mainly, I'm wondering about thoughts from the GTP community about allowing drivers from the open lobby to race in your events. Personally, I sometimes find drivers that go on my friends list and are very good racers that know how to keep it clean and back off and often times those drivers attend future events on the schedule as well, but other times I just find trouble with drivers that can't drive or don't listen. One thing that tips me off that I shouldn't let a driver stay in my room is when they get on track in a car when it is clear that we're using a certain type of car. For example, getting on track in a Nissan GT-R when everyone else in in a NASCAR car. It also seems that when a driver doesn't have a microphone that they won't get everything that is going on. Of course, that is not always the case. I've met several drivers without microphones that know how to follow rules and drive cleanly. Please keep all discussion constructive. Thank you.

Edit: It seems that people are misunderstanding what this topic is supposed to be about. I'm not asking about good ways to run a room. I'm asking what people think about letting people from the open lobby join their events. This isn't about my events that I hosted either, those were just provided as good and bad examples of my personal experience with the open lobby. With the open lobby drivers actually making the race happen for the Daytona 500 and causing problems for the Daytona 400 that I hosted.

Last edited:
Well... the problem is, that I often can not understand the drivers with microphone (I do not have one...). I often try to get an answer by writing but they won't answer... On the other side, if I read "Daytona 500", I won't try to use a GeeDee-Arr :)
(sorry for bad grammar)

One thing that tips me off that I shouldn't let a driver stay in my room is when they get on track in a car when it is clear that we're using a certain type of car. For example, getting on track in a Nissan GT-R when everyone else in in a NASCAR car

Go into the room regulations and select "Nascar" for car type allowed. Job done, no more problems. 👍

You won't meet new people if you don't allow joiners from the lobby. I think if you want to race the same people over and over, you should create a league and run a series. Individual races should be open. You could run an open qualifier (short races, one fuel stop) or even several open qualifiers in which the top and clean racers could get an invite to a full length race.

from my past experience, the best races are done with people from GTP. Just plan a race in the future, come to GTP and let people sign up.

On the rare occasions I'm able to find gravel or snow lobbies, and see that Skid Recovery Force is prohibited, I can either get an early advantage (most players try to employ drifting techniques) or have one or two competitive opponents.

I don't have enough of a car collection for varied PP/Track racing (nor do I have a wheel yet), and frankly I've about had it with "open" drift lobbies.

It seems it only happens inNASCAR rooms. I we hosting a NASCAR with pit stops and cautions, we had a decent first race... Then it fell apart taking an hour to get everybody to cooperate, then at the start, we had a big one before even reaching turn one, I was driving the pace car and was destroyed by lap 5... People everywhere else are ok, what I don't understand is when people join. Then immediately back out...

As a host you have to be friendly but completely intolerant of tomfoolery. Most people in lobbies really want someone to lead. They want you to rule with a firm hand, not be wishy washy or uncertain. Keep to a rigid schedule, start races on time, pay attention to what's happening in the room. That's how you build a following. Don't negotiate with idiots. When someone is driving backwards, you don't ask them to stop, you just boot them. If you are watching a race, and you see someone come from 100 feet back without hitting the brakes, ram someone off into the sand and then drive on as if nothing happened, you don't ask them to smarten up you just boot them.

As a host you have to be friendly but completely intolerant of tomfoolery. Most people in lobbies really want someone to lead. They want you to rule with a firm hand, not be wishy washy or uncertain. Keep to a rigid schedule, start races on time, pay attention to what's happening in the room. That's how you build a following. Don't negotiate with idiots. When someone is driving backwards, you don't ask them to stop, you just boot them. If you are watching a race, and you see someone come from 100 feet back without hitting the brakes, ram someone off into the sand and then drive on as if nothing happened, you don't ask them to smarten up you just boot them.

Thats my typical system. But with NASCAR, some people don't know what cautions are, so if they mess up when theres a wreck, i usually type "(name) Slow Down!" and the usually do. If they still dont get it I type "(name) Slow Down or Kick!" and if it gets to this point, they usually dont :lol:.
Then I get out of the race and give them the boot. :) Critique?

Thats my typical system. But with NASCAR, some people don't know what cautions are, so if they mess up when theres a wreck, i usually type "(name) Slow Down!" and the usually do. If they still dont get it I type "(name) Slow Down or Kick!" and if it gets to this point, they usually dont :lol:.

If it works keep doing it is all anyone can say. You can't control who comes into a lobby, only who exits...lol.:sly:

Go into the room regulations and select "Nascar" for car type allowed. Job done, no more problems. 👍

Not exactly, all of the drivers on track knew what type of race it was. I don't restrict the car type because I also employ pace car use and if someone gets on track in the wrong car when it's clear everyone else is using a certain type of car I just boot them. That's not an issue at all, it's more about how they drive.

You won't meet new people if you don't allow joiners from the lobby. I think if you want to race the same people over and over, you should create a league and run a series. Individual races should be open. You could run an open qualifier (short races, one fuel stop) or even several open qualifiers in which the top and clean racers could get an invite to a full length race.

I agree with you on that. It's just sometimes GTP doesn't come through and the open lobby sometimes does. It doesn't make for terrible racing if it's with the right people either.

from my past experience, the best races are done with people from GTP. Just plan a race in the future, come to GTP and let people sign up.

I don't mind meeting new people. That actually gets my series going sometimes. I do have a league on GTP, but my series don't get much (if any) interest at all. I do like the idea of the open qualifier though.

It seems it only happens inNASCAR rooms. I we hosting a NASCAR with pit stops and cautions, we had a decent first race... Then it fell apart taking an hour to get everybody to cooperate, then at the start, we had a big one before even reaching turn one, I was driving the pace car and was destroyed by lap 5... People everywhere else are ok, what I don't understand is when people join. Then immediately back out...

It does seem like it's only NASCAR. Possibly due the fact on how popular it is in America and when people see a NASCAR room they want to race. As far as joining and immediately backing out is concerned, I do that if I join and then find out it's not an event that I'd like to run in.

I completely agree. I don't like to boot people based off of a simple misunderstanding, however if I don't mess around and people have complemented me on how I run my lobbies and how professional I am. If someone asks me to bump up the HP or change something on the settings, I'll tell them that this is what it's going to be and if they don't like it they don't have to be in the room. Obviously, if someone is driving backwards you boot them. I find the majority of the issues go after you start the race and you're in it as well. If there is a problem I'll first ask the driver to back out (and they usually do) but on the rare occasion I have to boot people then it delays everything because now people have to back out so we can resume the race. Luckily everyone I've raced with so far has no problem with doing that. If I have to boot someone they have no problem with letting me back in seeing how I just improved the race quality.

I just explain cautions and everything before I start the race and if people have questions about it then I answer them.

Last edited:
It was more of a "serious Series Race open to the public" than an open lobby. It was a race for points and all of the good stuff like that.

Not exactly, all of the drivers on track knew what type of race it was. I don't restrict the car type because I also employ pace car use and if someone gets on track in the wrong car when it's clear everyone else is using a certain type of car I just boot them. That's not an issue at all, it's more about how they drive.

It does seem like it's only NASCAR. Possibly due the fact on how popular it is in America and when people see a NASCAR room they want to race. As far as joining and immediately backing out is concerned, I do that if I join and then find out it's not an event that I'd like to run in.

I completely agree. I don't like to boot people based off of a simple misunderstanding, however if I don't mess around and people have complemented me on how I run my lobbies and how professional I am. If someone asks me to bump up the HP or change something on the settings, I'll tell them that this is what it's going to be and if they don't like it they don't have to be in the room. Obviously, if someone is driving backwards you boot them. I find the majority of the issues go after you start the race and you're in it as well. If there is a problem I'll first ask the driver to back out (and they usually do) but on the rare occasion I have to boot people then it delays everything because now people have to back out so we can resume the race. Luckily everyone I've raced with so far has no problem with doing that. If I have to boot someone they have no problem with letting me back in seeing how I just improved the race quality.

I just explain cautions and everything before I start the race and if people have questions about it then I answer them.

+1 On this stuff here 👍

You don't need cautions in an open lobby. People just come there to race.

What redbull said. The room is labeled as "race for real" and it was a race series. That is not what this topic is about however. The topic is about what people think about what people think about drivers coming from the open lobby participating in events as reiterated in my OP edit.

Last edited:
Back