Thrustmaster TH8A Neutral Problems

United States
United States
Hi people,

I used to splay GT Sport with my T150 pro on PS4 and had the annoying issue where the transmission randomly popped itself into neutral. I was able to get rid of it by plugging the TH8A directly into the system's USB port, that worked fine.

I got a PS5 and reassembled my sim rig for GT7 and found out that the TH8A doesn't work in the USB ports, confirmed that with Sony support. I plugged it into my wheel base and while it's recognized, the popping into neutral problem is back. Very frustrating as it seems to happen regardless of the car, stock or fully customizable racing transmission, controller input etc...

I've heard a few different explanations:

- this is an intentional software feature implemented by Polyphony, according to a thread on this forum

- this is a hardware/firmware issue from Thrustmaster that could potentially be fixed with an update, according to Sony support. this may have been fixed with t150 firmware v35 and th8a firmware v29, but i don't have a pc that can run/update the firmware to confirm, and I've heard that it doesn't solve the problem from other players' threads.

- this is a bug with the GT7 software that may be addressed with a patch, eventually, according to Sony (can't seem to find a way to confirm this with Polyphony)

Looks like other people here, on Reddit and elsewhere have dealt with the same problem but there's no surefire solution in their threads so they either fixed it and didn't share the solution or they just continue to deal with it.

Is this something I'll need to spend the $$$ on a new wheel base, shifter and pedals to fix? I was hoping to get a PSVR2 but the investment seems pointless if I'm going to be struggling with something like this indefinitely.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

My shifter works fine, plugged into the wheel base, I don’t ever have any issues with it.

Don't forget this:

T150: changes made in new Firmware version [V35] :
- Improved compatibility with the TH8A Shifter (when the shifter is connected to the wheel's DIN connector).
!Important! Also requires to install new Firmware V29 on the TH8 Shifter

So to solve your issue you need to update your T150 base with the V35 version and the TH8A Shifter to the V29 version.

* Update process for the T150: https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pub/webupdate/T500RS/T150_firmware_update_procedure_v35.pdf

* Update process for the TH8A Shifter:
https://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pub/webupdate/TH8RS/TH8A_Firmware_Update_Process_V29.pdf

😅 i guess i need to add the cost of a windows 10+ pc to my sim racing budget, or more likely spend the cash on upgrading my controls sooner than expected.

😅 i guess i need to add the cost of a windows 10+ pc to my sim racing budget, or more likely spend the cash on upgrading my controls sooner than expected.
Have you tried borrowing a laptop from someone? One of my friends either borrows my laptop or brings his wheel base etc around to my house to do his. Which ever is easier for us at the time.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Go to a friend or family members house, or a public library even, you don’t need to buy a whole PC just to do an update.

Back