Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V8 Supercars confirms aerodynamic changes.
V8 Supercars has rubber stamped aerodynamic changes to the Ford Falcon, Holden Commodore and Nissan Altima ahead of next weekend’s pre-season test.

The three cars joined the category’s Ford Falcon FG prototype at East Sale, Victoria, for a seven-day homologation test earlier this month.

Following evaluation of the results by the V8 Supercars technical team, the category has settled on a specification for the FG X model Falcon, as well as changes to the Commodore and Altima.

A revised rear wing has been approved for the Commodore following efforts from designer Ludo Lacroix to reduce drag from its package.

Low drag was one of a number of factors pointed to for the success last year of the Volvo S60, which features a smaller frontal area than the Commodore in its road car form.

Nissan had also declared desires for a drag reduction as it homologated a third variation of its Altima, first debuted in 2013

I don't understand how Holden have won the last two championships (and dominated), and have consistently been the quickest car, and yet they are able to improve their car.

I don't understand how Holden have won the last two championships (and dominated), and have consistently been the quickest car, and yet they are able to improve their car.

I'm a Holden fan but it doesn't make sense to me either. It wasn't like they are slow by any means!

Because Simon McNamara has always treated the series as an extension of Holden's marketing division. If there was actual parity in the series, he would probably pull all funding for all teams.

going to be interesting what type of wing the FG X will have. its no longer associated with a "GT" wing like the FG II road car
2014-ford-falcon-fpv-gt-f-4.jpg

FPR-Studio-2014-00062.jpg

the FG X doesnt have a GT wing available
fg-x-ford-falcon-xr8-2014-malcolm-flynn-3.jpg

makes me wonder if it will have the same extension as the S60
Volvo-S60-V8-Supercar-2.jpg

the Cd of the road cars:

FG X XR8 is .291
Polestar S60 .29
Holden Commodore VF SS .31
Nissan Altima .299
AMG E63 .29

they're all pretty much the same. id love to see the numbers in race trim. :sly:

Last edited:
Yo
going to be interesting what type of wing the FG X will have. its no longer associated with a "GT" wing like the FG II road car
2014-ford-falcon-fpv-gt-f-4.jpg

FPR-Studio-2014-00062.jpg

the FG X doesnt have a GT wing available
fg-x-ford-falcon-xr8-2014-malcolm-flynn-3.jpg

makes me wonder if it will have the same extension as the S60
Volvo-S60-V8-Supercar-2.jpg

the Cd of the road cars:

FG X XR8 is .291
Polestar S60 .29
Holden Commodore VF SS .31
Nissan Altima .299
AMG E63 .29

they're all pretty much the same. id love to see the numbers in race trim. :sly:

Still don't understand why ford never tried selling the falcon here in the states. It's such a great looking road car as well as racecar!!!

Might have made the Mustang a tough sale as the Falcon has IRS, a 5.4L and 4.0T with more horsepower. In base 6-cylinder(around 260hp) and Base V8 models, Falcon could have hurt Crown Vic and Taurus numbers as well. Even if just the GT and F6 were offered. They might have gone for Lincoln Town Car money or Corvette prices. These were 360hp cars 15 years ago. 15hp less than Cobra R.

Good question for the Ford accountants.

Here's Jim Richards Javelin back in TCM
KNc0KSF.jpg

Saw that on my twitter feed earlier. Awesome to see Jim back in the Javelin. Looks great in the green/black livery too. 👍

ill most likely go to the Super Test Staurday morning and watch the 12H Sunday. Going to be a good weekend.

Always had a love for the Aussie V8's but have been fascinated also by the concept of the REC's. Now, I know how they sort of work. A team has an REC which is borrowed (in a manner of speaking) from a larger team (such as DJR) and after 2 years the REC can be sold or returned and leased to someone else. So even though Super Black is racing as a satellite to Prodrive Racing Australia, the REC to run Andre Heimgartner has been borrowed from DJR.

But what I would love to know is, therefore does this mean that Rod Nash Racing/David Reynolds REC isn't necessarily a REC from PRA which also runs Super Black Racing because Super Black's REC is from DJR? And the same with Britek and BJR.

Similarly with the two satellite teams of HRT (Charlie Schwerkolt & Walkinshaw Racing). Are the REC's for them not leased from HRT?

Also does every team like Tekno Autorsport who don't have a satellite team have a REC which isn't leased to anyone?

Always had a love for the Aussie V8's but have been fascinated also by the concept of the REC's. Now, I know how they sort of work. A team has an REC which is borrowed (in a manner of speaking) from a larger team (such as DJR) and after 2 years the REC can be sold or returned and leased to someone else. So even though Super Black is racing as a satellite to Prodrive Racing Australia, the REC to run Andre Heimgartner has been borrowed from DJR.

But what I would love to know is, therefore does this mean that Rod Nash Racing/David Reynolds REC isn't necessarily a REC from PRA which also runs Super Black Racing because Super Black's REC is from DJR? And the same with Britek and BJR.

Similarly with the two satellite teams of HRT (Charlie Schwerkolt & Walkinshaw Racing). Are the REC's for them not leased from HRT?

Also does every team like Tekno Autorsport who don't have a satellite team have a REC which isn't leased to anyone?

I believe that Tekno only have one REC, the penalty for holding an REC and not filling it with a car is extremely pricey,

Other than that though am I correct on the points elsewhere? Is that the idea of REC's? That a team can lease (or loan) a REC to another for 2 years and the team that has loan of the REC doesn't have to be a satellite team of it? I know that even though Dick Johnson has leased a REC to Super Black Racing, SBR is not a satellite team of DJR because it is a satellite team of Prodrive? And how many REC's whilst I am on the subject, can a team have? I mean Tekno must use theirs for themselves clearly. Same for all the other teams like Kelly Racing and Erebus.

I am still not clear though on one. Which teams then have the HRT REC's if you don't have to be a satellite team of Holden which could rule Walkinshaw and Charlie Schwerkolt.

From what I remember, Paul Morris had his REC leased at Tekno, which he then sold to DJR. DJR had beeen using Dean Fiore's REC which Fiore's family owned.
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/second-rec-secured-by-dick-johnson-racing
Dick Johnson Racing has announced it has secured a second Racing Entitlements Contract (REC) for the 2014 season.

The news ensures a bright future for DJR and comes shortly after esteemed engineer Campbell Little officially joining the team as sporting director.

Having operated Dean Fiore’s TripleF Racing Entitlement for the last two seasons, DJR was in the market to purchase a licence rather than enter into a new lease or umbrella arrangement.

DJR management was able to review a number of options, finally opting to purchase the Paul Morris/Nemo Racing REC.

This REC had been used by Tekno Autosports, however a purchase option was not taken up, paving the way for negotiations between DJR and Morris.

REC's are allotted to teams so, they are limited in numbers. Walkinshaw have their #2 & #22. the other two are owned separatly by Schwerkolt and Super Cheap with Slade.

RECs underpin each of the 28 cars on the grid and four are currently being considered as being in play for 2014. They are controlled by Dean Fiore (currently used by Dick Johnson Racing, although Fiore races at Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport), Charlie Schwerkolt (Ford Performance Racing), James Rosenberg (Erebus Motorsport V8) and Paul Morris (Tekno Autosports).

There have been various rumours linking those RECs with various new homes.

In Townsville last weekend Schwerkolt was being placed at Tekno with HRT’s out-of-contract James Courtney as the driver. Another rumour had them at Erebus (in place of the purportedly departing Rosenberg). Yet another had Schwerkolt and his REC back at DJR, from where he departed in acrimony in 2010.

Schwerkolt wasn’t commenting on the various scenarios last weekend, Rosenberg continues to insist August is when he will have a better understanding of his REC’s future, Fiore confirmed his REC was the subject of various approaches but denied any discussion with Dane, while Morris has left Tekno owner Steve Webb with first option on his REC.

In his guarded discussions with v8supercars.com.au Dane seemed to favour co-operative owners placing their RECs with him.

“You don’t have to buy a REC,” he said. “You might choose to, but you don’t have to buy one. I am sure plenty of people would be happy to put their RECs in our stable.”

An experienced REC owner such as Rosenberg would appear to be a perfect fit for an expanded Triple Eight, especially as he could potentially bring highly rated driver Tim Slade with him.

Pitlane order.

Why did Penske team up with Tekno to share a pitlane boom? I would have gone with Dale Wood's team, at least then they wouldn't have to worry about double stacking. :P

Last edited:
the news mentioned TCM and combined EnZed cars for that event. it is weird seeing that VK in there. That Firebird Trans Am is cool though.

Always had a love for the Aussie V8's but have been fascinated also by the concept of the REC's.
It kind of works several ways.

First, you can own an REC outright. You are free to use that REC to enter a car if you wish. This is what Prodrive are doing.

You can also lease that REC to someone else, allowing them to run that car for you. This is what Rod Nash Racing does.

And you are also free to lease from one and approach another to run it. This is what Super Black will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back