weather, how to know?

• Thread starter SirFaffer
  • 18 comments
Australia
Australia
Is there some way to know what the weather is going to do in a race that I'm just not seeing, or is it a case of buying every tyre combination and suck up pitting to change, which might be the difference between winning and losing. Guess it would just to be nice before I start.

Nope.

However if you're doing a single-player race, the weather will do exactly the same thing each race as long as you don't leave the race menu itself.
Do you mean only single-player custom races or all ''career mode'' races in general?

Because last time I did the 700PP 30 minutes race for credits the weather was almost completely dry and I didn't even have to switch to intermediates which is very rare in this race - when I finished 1st and got back to the menu (which appears right after having finished the race) I was so happy with the weather conditions I repeated it and I got monsoon-like rain for nearly the entire race.

Last edited:
Do you mean only single-player custom races or all ''career mode'' races in general?

Because last time I did the 700PP 30 minutes race for credits the weather was almost completely dry and I didn't even have to switch to intermediates which is very rare in this race - when I finished 1st and got back to the menu (which appears right after having finished the race) I was so happy with the weather conditions I repeated it and I got monsoon-like rain for nearly the entire race.
I agree, I have seen the weather change when hitting "Retry" after a race. It doesn't stay the same for me.

Is there some way to know what the weather is going to do in a race that I'm just not seeing, or is it a case of buying every tyre combination and suck up pitting to change, which might be the difference between winning and losing. Guess it would just to be nice before I start.
The F1 2017 game that I play predicts weather precisely before the practice or race starts. I then choose a pit strategy which adapts to the predicted weather change during the race. I know the surprise element is not there but I like this controlled scenario.

Nope.

However if you're doing a single-player race, the weather will do exactly the same thing each race as long as you don't leave the race menu itself.
Not strictly true.Granted on the Le Mans 30 min race the weather usually arrives on lap 3,that said it doesnt follow that you will definatly get wet weather or weather bad enough for a tyre change.I have had many a race totally in the dry despite weather looming on the radar.I will add that the weather has got more dynamic since the update on it,before i never had to use full wets but now its quite common to end up on full wets.Personally i like the weather the way it is.

But that is something you normally can see on the weather radar...
Sometimes you can see it, but the weather changes in that 30+/- second window. It may look like it’s about to bucket down when entering the pit lane. Switch to IW or W and exiting the pits, the weather either shifted or changes to light to no rain.

Sometimes you can see it, but the weather changes in that 30+/- second window. It may look like it’s about to bucket down when entering the pit lane. Switch to IW or W and exiting the pits, the weather either shifted or changes to light to no rain.
Yeah, that's happened too many times!

I've also wondered for awhile now if the game knows what car you're in and what tires are mounted. For example, in the 600WTC at Red Bull RIng, I've often found that if I was in a 4wd car, or had rain tires, the race would have light rain or be almost dry. Switching to MR or FR with slicks and be greeted by heavy rain or worse. :irked:

Yeah, that's happened too many times!

I've also wondered for awhile now if the game knows what car you're in and what tires are mounted. For example, in the 600WTC at Red Bull RIng, I've often found that if I was in a 4wd car, or had rain tires, the race would have light rain or be almost dry. Switching to MR or FR with slicks and be greeted by heavy rain or worse. :irked:
:lol: Yes, that too! I’d go as far as race strategy as well. I’m fuel saving with a GT3 car for example and it‘s either been dry for majority of the race, then rain towards the latter half or I’ll have heavy rain forcing me to pit for tyres. So many scenarios I’ve had, but it is funny to believe the game picks up on what I’m doing. As in, the game knowing the many times I’ve run this race. :lol:

Here are my observations and tips...based on the Le Mans PP700 30min race(the only race with dynamic weather I regulary race)

.)normally rains starts at lap 3, but sometimes already in the second half of lap 2 or later than lap 3...so when I am in lap2 i turn on the weather radar and keep a close watch!

.) (on the weather radar)always use the biggest scale available...you cannot see the progression and the speed of the weather when the scale is too small

.)if you see rain approaching, really observe it while running lap2(or lap3):where does it come from and where does is go to(sometimes there is bad weather coming, but it will not hit you-but you can only find that out, if you watch the movement for a little while), how quick does it travel(it is nor always the same!), how much is dark blue or even green...

.) if there is lots of dark blue/green spots consider full wets, if there is some dark blue and more if the two lighter blues, then intermediates will do(if in doubt, the IMs are the better choice)...if there are mainly the two lighter shades of blue or the weather-front is not very large you can stay on racing tires)

.) if in doubt, i rather use IMs...if it stays drier than suspected, you can take a shorter stint with IMs with FM on 1 and still be pretty quick

.) cars are different...some handle better than others when using racing tires on wet surface(the 4WD cars obviously, but also some FR cars, like the Corvette C4)

.)if you are on IM/Rain tires and the racing line starts to get dry again drive as much as possible on the left and right edges of the road, where it is still wet...then the IM/Rain tires will last much longer than driving with them on the dry parts of the road

.)if you are still on racing tires and it gets too wet, turn up the traction control and use the throttle very careful(especially when you accelerate out of corners)...that will help a little

Last edited:
Not strictly true.Granted on the Le Mans 30 min race the weather usually arrives on lap 3,that said it doesnt follow that you will definatly get wet weather or weather bad enough for a tyre change.I have had many a race totally in the dry despite weather looming on the radar.I will add that the weather has got more dynamic since the update on it,before i never had to use full wets but now its quite common to end up on full wets.Personally i like the weather the way it is.
You missed the point he was making. Yes the weather can do a variety of things on a single race. But if you restart a race without leaving the race, you get the exact same weather pattern, until you leave that race and re-load the track.

By the way, the weather patterns aren’t time-based, they’re lap-based. I can’t remember if they’re triggered by YOUR car or the LEAD car, though.

Last edited:
By the way, the weather patterns aren’t time-based, they’re lap-based. I can’t remember if they’re triggered by YOUR car or the LEAD car, though.
I am not quite sure what you mean by that...

At Le Mans PP700 it sometimes starts to rain at lap2, most of the time at lap3(but at different times in that lap), sometimes later...had a race there the other day where it was dry and sunny for 4 laps and the rain started in the last third of lap 5

I am not quite sure what you mean by that...

At Le Mans PP700 it sometimes starts to rain at lap2, most of the time at lap3(but at different times in that lap), sometimes later...had a race there the other day where it was dry and sunny for 4 laps and the rain started in the last third of lap 5
SIGH. Okay I’ll say it a third time.

If you restart the race without leaving the race screen (in other words without reloading the track) you will get the exact same weather pattern, until you leave that race entirely and reload it.

For example if you start the race and then you get rain on lap 3, if you pause and hit “restart”, you will again get rain on lap 3. If you exit out and go to a different race and come back, you might get different weather. But restarts always give you the same weather.

Last edited:
SIGH. Okay I’ll say it a third time.

If you restart the race without leaving the race screen (in other words without reloading the track) you will get the exact same weather pattern, until you leave that race entirely and reload it.

For example if you start the race and then you get rain on lap 3, if you pause and hit “restart”, you will again get rain on lap 3. If you exit out and go to a different race and come back, you might get different weather. But restarts always give you the same weather.
This also applies to AI behavior, like I've seen races where an AI causes a comical yellow flag incident at the start and each time I restart it happens exactly the same every time.

Guess the seed used for weather and AI RNGs are not reset unless you exit the race.

Back