Weird Sponsorships

I've just been doing a single race in my Lutecia RS Race Car, and as I overtook a Stratos Rally Car, I noticed that it had Polyphony Digital decals (the Stratos, not the Lutecia). Now, the Stratos was last rallied in 1974 (according to Wikipedia), and PD wasn't founded until 1998 (also according to Wikipedia). So that decal is clearly just intended as an ad for PD (strange considering you've already bought the game). If there's any other cars with strange or out-of-date sponsorships, don't hesitate to post here.

Since there is PD and the GT logo on a lot of cars, I just assumed that those were cars that either were never real (FGT for example) or whose original sponsors did not want pony up to be featured in the game. I'll be interested to read some of the posts...

Between GT4 and GT5, many of the race cars went through a massive purge of sponsorship decals. The Stratos lost its Alitalia badging, the Renault 5 Turbo lost its Philips sponsorship, Audi R8 lost its Infineon badge, etc. And they did a really bad job with it for each car, to add insult to injury.

There may be a financial reason for it, but it is more likely that PD just didn't care (which is supported by how little effort they put into it). This is also why many say that some Standards look worse in GT5 than they did in GT3.

Last edited:
Between GT4 and GT5, many of the race cars went through a massive purge of sponsorship decals. The Stratos lost its Alitalia badging, the Renault 5 Turbo lost its Philips sponsorship, Audi R8 lost its Infineon badge, etc. And they did a really bad job with it for each car, to add insult to injury.

There may be a financial reason for it, but it is more likely that PD just didn't care (which is supported by how little effort they put into it). This is also why many say that some Standards look worse in GT5 than they did in GT3.

Indeed.
The R8 really looks great in GT4.
My point of view is - upscaling to HD made standards look really bad and pixelisation is incredible on some cars (well, every standard has pixelisation problems, but CLK-LM, RX-8 LM are really horrible), really a cheap move from PD.

This just shows how VERY little PD cares about the Standards. Anyone notice the NOMAD Diablo has blurred decals on. It looked nicer in GT3 then in GT5. In fact ALL heavily sponsored standards are like that.

One of the rally cars which has the Martini colors, and stripes, and a red circle with a black rectangle on it where Martini should be, but isn't...

One of the rally cars which has the Martini colors, and stripes, and a red circle with a black rectangle on it where Martini should be, but isn't...
That's different. PD probably didn't bother with that because of liquor advertising laws of some countries (including the United States), and I believe that has been like that since the car debuted in GT3.

I'm pretty sure the Jag race care, can't think of the exact model right now, the one with enclosed rear wheels was sponsored by Silk Cut cigarettes in real life. It doesn't appear on the in game model.

shem
I'm pretty sure the Jag race care, can't think of the exact model right now, the one with enclosed rear wheels was sponsored by Silk Cut cigarettes in real life. It doesn't appear on the in game model.

True.
And also with the Martini I suppose. But isn't that just some guys name?
The Porsche 956/962s had to replace the Rothmans decals with Racing for some events.
The Ferrari F1 cars used to have Marlboro also...

Mh, my theorie is that they want to brainwash us with an incredible use of the PD logo so we are going to buy GT6, no matter how bad GT5 was compared to GT4 and 3.

Of course it could also be possible that those sponsores they did not put into the game were cigarette and alcohol brands. The advertisement of those are prohimited or limited in some important sales markets for PD. So in order to don't make different models for different countries they just put a giant GT5 or PD instead of Malboro, Martini or whatever.

And to all those who don't like the standards models ( I think some of them do look like crap too). Go to the PC, change the screenresolution to 640x480 or something similar and then to 1920x1080. That's about the difference between previous GT parts and GT5.

Thread title reminds me of a Durex-sponsored F1 car that was famously photographed limping back to the pits with a puncture. Happy days :D

I suspect that sponsors who've been replace in GT5 weren't available to give permission for the use of their image, that they declined, or that they wanted too much money.

I've just been doing a single race in my Lutecia RS Race Car, and as I overtook a Stratos Rally Car, I noticed that it had Polyphony Digital decals (the Stratos, not the Lutecia). Now, the Stratos was last rallied in 1974 (according to Wikipedia), and PD wasn't founded until 1998 (also according to Wikipedia). So that decal is clearly just intended as an ad for PD (strange considering you've already bought the game). If there's any other cars with strange or out-of-date sponsorships, don't hesitate to post here.

Ever played shift? Around every corner there is a billboard advertising themselves.

Don't get hung up on a few decals on cars, it could be a lot worse^^^

Mh, my theorie is that they want to brainwash us with an incredible use of the PD logo so we are going to buy GT6, no matter how bad GT5 was compared to GT4 and 3.

Of course it could also be possible that those sponsores they did not put into the game were cigarette and alcohol brands. The advertisement of those are prohimited or limited in some important sales markets for PD. So in order to don't make different models for different countries they just put a giant GT5 or PD instead of Malboro, Martini or whatever.

And to all those who don't like the standards models ( I think some of them do look like crap too). Go to the PC, change the screenresolution to 640x480 or something similar and then to 1920x1080. That's about the difference between previous GT parts and GT5.

Well, that's different, 'cause it's alcohol and cigarettes that they're not allowed to advertise, like others have said. I'm talking about the kind of stuff in Toronado's reply - Alitalia is an airline, Philips is an electronics company and Infineon is something to do with mobile phones. What's wrong with all that? :confused:

Ever played shift? Around every corner there is a billboard advertising themselves.

Don't get hung up on a few decals on cars, it could be a lot worse^^^

Yeah, I've played both Shifts, but I'm too busy concentrating on driving. I notice this sort of thing on GT5 'cause it's a lot less fast-paced than Shift.

Last edited:
Well, that's different, 'cause it's alcohol and cigarettes that they're not allowed to advertise, like others have said. I'm talking about the kind of stuff in Toronado's reply - Alitalia is an airline, Philips is an electronics company and Infineon is something to do with mobile phones. What's wrong with all that? :confused:

Licensing. 💡

Sorry for bump... :indiff:

Honestly I think the argument of what year the car was used shows you're thinking but is false logic.

Anyone can race a vintage car and put their own livery on it. Paint jobs aren't permanent.

Gerarghini
This just shows how VERY little PD cares about the Standards. Anyone notice the NOMAD Diablo has blurred decals on. It looked nicer in GT3 then in GT5. In fact ALL heavily sponsored standards are like that.

Agree. The Diablo seems to be the poorest rendered car I have seen in the game. Blurry and pixelated.

Agree. The Diablo seems to be the poorest rendered car I have seen in the game. Blurry and pixelated.

I'm just happy to have it, when driving from bumper view I don't notice and in replays it's going too fast :)

I expect it's all licensing, they either couldn't be bother to ask Phillips for permission to use thier trademark or asked and were turned down.

That's not good. How will rally games not have the signature Alitalia decals on the Stratos? Someone must still own the name.

Some of the sponsorship jobs are pretty tacky. Wish we could modify them our selves. :P

It didn't. The Pope used Alitalia to fly to somewhere recently (can't remember where), and it was definitely after 2009.

Also Alitalia is Max Biaggi's main sponsor on his WSBK Aprillia RSV4.

I noticed a strange sponsor or decal on my '01 Tom's Supra (standard). It had two cartoon dogs, can't really make out what they are though...

Right in front of the 36 on the side... http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=927

The Renault 5 Rally car still has the George Paris stickers on it from GT4.

Yeah, the Mitsubishi CZ-3 Rally Car still has Grand Canyon Rally Stickers on it, while the Nissan mm-r Cup Car and I think several LM Race Cars (GT-R Concept, RX-8, etc.) are still advertising the Playstation 2.

I noticed a strange sponsor or decal on my '01 Tom's Supra (standard). It had two cartoon dogs, can't really make out what they are though...

Right in front of the 36 on the side... http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=927

The character on the right looks more like a moose... there seems to be some text above the dog and moose but I can't make it out from the pics on MGT.

It didn't. The Pope used Alitalia to fly to somewhere recently (can't remember where), and it was definitely after 2009.

FeedMeRice
Also Alitalia is Max Biaggi's main sponsor on his WSBK Aprillia RSV4.

It did, a new company - also called Alitalia was founded to continue operations.

Following excerpt from Wikipedia regarding what happened

--snip--
In August 2008 Alitalia went bankrupt. Compagnia Aerea Italiana (CAI) bought the Alitalia brand and some assets for €1.052 billion ($1.33 billion), paying €427 million in cash and taking on €625 million in Alitalia debts on December 12, 2008.

On 26 August 2008 a group of Italian entrepreneurs along with Intesa Sanpaolo, one of the major Italian banks, founded Compagnia Aerea Italiana (CAI) with the aim of buying the trademark and some of the assets of the bankrupt Alitalia — Linee Aeree Italiane and to merge these with Air One, another Italian carrier. Only the Alitalia trademark would be kept for the merged company.

On 30 October 2008 CAI offered €1,100 million to acquire parts of the bankrupt airline. The offer was submitted to Alitalia's bankruptcy administrator despite refusal by some pilots and flight attendants' unions to agree to the rescue plan.

The bankruptcy administrator and the Italian government, major shareholder of Alitalia, agreed to CAI's offer on 19 November 2008. Alitalia's profitable assets were transferred to CAI on 12 December 2008 after CAI paid €1.052 billion ($1.33 billion), consisting of €427 million in cash and the assumption of responsibility for €625 million in Alitalia debt.

On 13 January 2009 the new Alitalia re-launched operations. The owners of Compagnia Aerea Italiana sold 25% of the company's shares to Air France-KLM for €322 million. Air France-KLM also obtained an option, subject to certain conditions, to purchase additional shares after 2013. The French as well as the Italian boards agreed to the sale.

--snap--

It did, a new company - also called Alitalia was founded to continue operations.

Following excerpt from Wikipedia regarding what happened

--snip--
In August 2008 Alitalia went bankrupt. Compagnia Aerea Italiana (CAI) bought the Alitalia brand and some assets for €1.052 billion ($1.33 billion), paying €427 million in cash and taking on €625 million in Alitalia debts on December 12, 2008.

On 26 August 2008 a group of Italian entrepreneurs along with Intesa Sanpaolo, one of the major Italian banks, founded Compagnia Aerea Italiana (CAI) with the aim of buying the trademark and some of the assets of the bankrupt Alitalia — Linee Aeree Italiane and to merge these with Air One, another Italian carrier. Only the Alitalia trademark would be kept for the merged company.

On 30 October 2008 CAI offered €1,100 million to acquire parts of the bankrupt airline. The offer was submitted to Alitalia's bankruptcy administrator despite refusal by some pilots and flight attendants' unions to agree to the rescue plan.

The bankruptcy administrator and the Italian government, major shareholder of Alitalia, agreed to CAI's offer on 19 November 2008. Alitalia's profitable assets were transferred to CAI on 12 December 2008 after CAI paid €1.052 billion ($1.33 billion), consisting of €427 million in cash and the assumption of responsibility for €625 million in Alitalia debt.

On 13 January 2009 the new Alitalia re-launched operations. The owners of Compagnia Aerea Italiana sold 25% of the company's shares to Air France-KLM for €322 million. Air France-KLM also obtained an option, subject to certain conditions, to purchase additional shares after 2013. The French as well as the Italian boards agreed to the sale.

--snap--

Then it makes sense. The new owner probably did not take over any sponsorhip deals the original had. Would probably have been the last thing they would have wanted to continue, since the company was bancrupt and those things cost a lot of money. And the licence fee they would have gotten by PD would not have made a difference.

Latest Posts

Back