Why do certain cars suit certain tracks?

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 2 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
It sounds like a silly question with an obvious answer, but I'm not sure it's that simple.
I've been using the practice sessions a lot since I got my wheel, and had a few "surprises".
For example, last night I couldn't get the Audi R8 '01 further up the leader board than 6th or so on Laguna Seca. I struggled getting around, frequently ran wide or spun out and didn't enjoy it one bit.

I then took the same car (same set up) to Rome, and it felt like it was made for the track, going straight to the top of the leader board by about one second clear! It was a pleasure to drive and such a different experience from Laguna.

Tracks are all bendy bits and straight bits, so you'd think if a car can do well on one, it will do well on all. But this just isn't the case (as we can see from real car racing)

Can anyone explain why?

Lots of things go into this and I don't have a clear answer for you except to say that things like:

Elevation changes and the car's torque
Banked corners versus flat and the car's weight transfer

Some courses are 'power' tracks where high HP cars do better
Other courses are more technical, so turn in, cornering, speed out of the corner, and acceleration (not top speed) play big roles.

Also, driver preference makes a difference...maybe the biggest difference. Do you favor RWD, FF, AWD, RR, or MR?

Back