Why Won't My PS2 Play GT4?!?!?

• Thread starter Joel
  • 26 comments

Joel

Premium
Canada
Halifax, NS
Noob616
i bought a (new) copy of GT4 today and it wont play. all i get is the memory card and game selection screen. if i select "PS2 Disc" (GT4) the screen goes black and then after 5 seconds goes bact to the selection screen. 1 time after selecting PS2 Disc around 5 times i got the "Playstation 2" screen (vooomp) and thats as close as i've got. Dunno if it matters i have the PS2 slim.

Are both the PS2 and the game from the same region?

By the way, you could've asked the question on the 'General Discussion' thread just above, probably a better idea than creating a whole new one just to ask this.

It could either be the disk or PS2. Play the disk in a friend's PS2 to see if it works. If it does work there, then its your PS2. If it doesn't, I suggest getting a new disk.

Try cleaning your PS2 lens.

My PS2 kept giving disc read errors particularly for GT4, so I ordered another copy and I got the same problem, as well as "Insert PS2 format disc" messages.

So I took the thing apart and gently cleaned the lens with some cotton wool. However if you don't feel confident in doing that yourself I wouldn't, you could make it worse.

i bought a (new) copy of GT4 today and it wont play. all i get is the memory card and game selection screen. if i select "PS2 Disc" (GT4) the screen goes black and then after 5 seconds goes bact to the selection screen. 1 time after selecting PS2 Disc around 5 times i got the "Playstation 2" screen (vooomp) and thats as close as i've got. Dunno if it matters i have the PS2 slim.

This problem is common with the slim ps2, and there are lots and lots of threads on it. I have GT4 on all day today because i got it working and i'm scared that if i turn it off i might not fire it up again.

This is the problem i get and, by the sound of it, your problem aswell. GT4 was in the ps2 on that video.

I think it might have been a technical goof on Sony's part. they pulled the same kind of thing when they tried to create a mini-game peripheral for the PSX. the units were so poorly assembled, that some 90% were returned for defects. several games made with the Peripheral in mind had to have those sections scrapped before US release.

I noticed in Thiele's video that his slim is a BLACK unit. I heard comments that the black slims in the US won't play "color backed" disks (early PS2's that are blue tinted). i think when they went to a second release of the black slim, and with the Silver units, those defects are corrected.

Try cleaning your PS2 lens.

My PS2 kept giving disc read errors particularly for GT4, so I ordered another copy and I got the same problem, as well as "Insert PS2 format disc" messages.

So I took the thing apart and gently cleaned the lens with some cotton wool. However if you don't feel confident in doing that yourself I wouldn't, you could make it worse.

I'm having the same 🤬 problem . I bought a new game because the old one just wouldn't load anymore. It worked fine twice, but everytime i try to load it now, it does the same thing over and over. Does it load without problems, now that you've cleaned the lens??:indiff: I don't have the "slim" PS2, but the "original" size. Also, does anyone knows if this troublesome game works fine on PS3 or it does the same??:banghead: Thanks!

I think it might have been a technical goof on Sony's part. they pulled the same kind of thing when they tried to create a mini-game peripheral for the PSX. the units were so poorly assembled, that some 90% were returned for defects. several games made with the Peripheral in mind had to have those sections scrapped before US release.

I noticed in Thiele's video that his slim is a BLACK unit. I heard comments that the black slims in the US won't play "color backed" disks (early PS2's that are blue tinted). i think when they went to a second release of the black slim, and with the Silver units, those defects are corrected.

Mine is SCPH-70002 (PAL Australia) and it plays the blue ones fine, just some ps2 discs (like GT4) and some ps1 games, like GT1.

The same problem happened with me as well. Clean it or just keep resetting until it does work. It worked for me roughly once in every 10 attempts.

I believe some units have trouble reading Dual Layer disks as well. and I think GT4 is a dual.

check your scratch content, and, for pete's sate, check for fingerprints on the reading surface. sometimes one minor fingerprint will kill a load. also, try a "light reflect" trick to make sure your copy hasn't warped

I'm having the same 🤬 problem . I bought a new game because the old one just wouldn't load anymore. It worked fine twice, but everytime i try to load it now, it does the same thing over and over. Does it load without problems, now that you've cleaned the lens??:indiff: I don't have the "slim" PS2, but the "original" size. Also, does anyone knows if this troublesome game works fine on PS3 or it does the same??:banghead: Thanks!

GT4 works fine on the PS3 and I have the original PS2(I should a look at it; I only played GT4 on the PS3).

EDIT: GT4 works fine on the PS2.

This is a VERY, VERY common problem with the PS2! The PS2 lasers are crap! Especially the ones in the Slim PSTwo! Simply replace it (new one costs about £10 here in the UK) and takes a whole 5 - 10 mins to replace!

well, actually, I'm having less trouble with my silver slim than I am with my phat. things are reading better and a lot quicker.

and, no, you can't buy parts in the US, or ida fixed my PSX 5000, which needs a new laser (the motor seized!), or fixed my phat ps2, which broke it's DVD tray.

well, actually, I'm having less trouble with my silver slim than I am with my phat. things are reading better and a lot quicker.

and, no, you can't buy parts in the US, or ida fixed my PSX 5000, which needs a new laser (the motor seized!), or fixed my phat ps2, which broke it's DVD tray.

You can get spares in the US.

PS1 laser here.

PS2 DVD Tray (v4 - v8) here.

PS2 DVD Tray (v9 - v10) here.

To find out what version you have look here.

And im not surprised that your slim is working better than your phat, cos your phat PS2 is several years old and will be filled with dust, etc.

But its a well known fact that the general quality of the slim PS2 lasers are not as good as the phat PS2 lasers.

i said psX...the grey unit, not the minaturized PS1 white unit.

my 5000 is a second gen psx with the VERTICALY driven lens, not diagonally. think I better take pics :P (the replacement you posted looks like the old diagonal style)

my phat unit is a 50001 with a 3c date code, and doesn't seem to appear on the PS2 ID page. mabey I have an "unmodable" one?

i said psX...the grey unit, not the minaturized PS1 white unit.

my 5000 is a second gen psx with the VERTICALY driven lens, not diagonally. think I better take pics :P (the replacement you posted looks like the old diagonal style)

my phat unit is a 50001 with a 3c date code, and doesn't seem to appear on the PS2 ID page. mabey I have an "unmodable" one?

After about 2 seconds of googling it turns out that a 50001 unit is a v9! So this is what you need!

There's no such thing as an "unmoddable" PS2!

You can get a PSX KSM-440ACM/ADM/AEM/BAM laser from here! So find out which one you have and see if they stock it.

Although I've never ever used that site with the PSX laser.

The problem is that because im in the UK Google keep giving me UK based sites when I search for spare parts! Try doing a google search yourself and see what comes up. Seeing as you are in the US it will bring up US results for you!

I think the main problem with GT4 lies in the black slim PS2's in the SCPH 70000 series. I have had 4 copies of GT4 which have all had problems with my SCPH 70002. I might have to get a new laser.

ok i have this problem also, never wants to load, makes me cry cause i started playing it, got pretty far (really only like 40%) but i had fun playing, all the endurance races were done, all rallys, gold medals on all tests, really everything that equaled to the big bucks, then i went to school, storm hit (all my electronics are plugged into a surge protecter, just letting everyone know thats not what caused anything) the PS2 turned off so i was angry, tried playing again, then it stopped working, so i gave up and played need for speed for awhile, then i missed the realistic driving of GT4, tried playing it, and STILL DOESNT NOT WORK!! could i possibly buy a new copy to save the money of buying a new console???

Is it the game that won't load or your gamesave file that doesn't?

If it's the game, your disc is probably kaput. Get a new one. If it's the save, your save is corrupted. Start again, but this time back your saves up every few percent.

And I won't be approving your second post. You asked for help here. If you want people's answers you can come back here and find them rather than trying to get them to visit a personal site of your own...

no, its stuck at the browser - system config. screen
wont go past that

That sounds like your console is not able to read the disc anymore. :( Buy a new one (i.e. NOT used). This is what I wound up doing 2 years ago and haven't had any probs with my new copy of GT4 since. 👍

...you are saying you were able to still play Need For Speed on the same console, right? So yeah, if this is so, I'd vouch for your GT4 disc being toast, and you need a new one. If for some reason you can't play GT4 (even with a new disc), you can always return it. No harm/no foul. :)

However, if your PS2 won't play any games at all, then you obviously got bigger probs. :mad:

Last edited:
i was thinking of buying a new/used ps2 and buying a new GT4 or selling everything possible from my ps2 and putting that towards a ps3 and getting GT5 idk yet
to much money, income doesnt allow it, so i might stick with buy a used ps2, if it still doesnt work, then ill return it and put everything towards a ps3
sounds good?

i was thinking of buying a new/used ps2 and buying a new GT4 or selling everything possible from my ps2 and putting that towards a ps3 and getting GT5 idk yet
to much money, income doesnt allow it, so i might stick with buy a used ps2, if it still doesnt work, then ill return it and put everything towards a ps3
sounds good?

Sounds good to me. Make sure your local gaming store has a solid return policy, of course.

The same problem happened with me as well. Clean it or just keep resetting until it does work. It worked for me roughly once in every 10 attempts.

I do this, mine works once every 4 or 5 tries.
It does annoy me alot so i usually end up on tourist trophy if it doesn't work.

Back