Window bug, thing.

• Thread starter Hypnotoad
  • 23 comments
When I'm reading a thread or typing a post, the browser seems to randomly scroll to the bottom of the page, for no reason at all, only happens on this site.

I'm using Firefox, any tips to stop this annoyance that doesn't involve me changing browsers?

I wouldn't say its firefox's fault and i definitely wouldn't get rid of firefox.

Internet explorer = :yuck:

As for your problem, i could only think that its just a coincidence that your mouse gets stuck scrolling downwards. Other than that, I really have no idea.

Nah, it's not the mouse, it's this website. :)

Every other site and forum I've been on works fine. I'll just be sat there reading or typing and it moves to the bottom, on it's own. I'm sure someone else has had this and there is a logical solution. :) *Loads his beretta*

That's very odd indeed. I can't think of any reason for it being website specific. Just ruling out the obvious reasons, have you got a wireless mouse? Does it scroll gradually downwards, or does it jump right down (like pressing the space bar)? Does it still happen if you unplug the keyboard and mouse?

I'm getting the same problem with Internet Explorer. The page is jumping to this advert at the bottom of the page every time. It does so suddenly, and stops at the advert - not at the very bottom of the page. It is most annoying as it is happening so often that I'd have trouble reading this paragraph before the jump :grumpy:

orange.jpg

When you encounter this problem, have you just clicked on the
post_new.gif
icon? This will make your browser "jump" to the latest new post made in the thread, which is often at the bottom (and of course, near the ad you described, Car-less).

Nope. I use the 'new' icon all the time, and it works fine. The browser was jumping in the same manner, but directly to the advert rather than the lastest post. However, the 'orange' advert seems to have stopped appearing - at least for now, and the 'google' ad that replaced it is NOT exhibiting the same behaviour.

Edit: The 'orange' advert is back, and misbehaving as before.

What happens to me is that I click on the "new" icon, or hit back which can dump me halfway down a page. It will load the page then take awhile to jump down. Sometimes I start scrolling before the page goes where it would take me. Then the page goes immediatly to the bottom.

Ah, i have been having this exact problem just half an hour ago, just shows searching helps.

I get it aswell, i think that ad needs to go.

Just before we fix it, we need a premium member to report that there's no problem with them.

I get it aswell, i think that ad needs to go.

Just before we fix it, we need a premium member to report that there's no problem with them.

It's the Orange advert, and it's happening to me as well. It looks to me like its forcing the focus (cursor) into one of its text boxes every 15 seconds or so, and I suspect that the browser is then zooming to wherever the focus is (i.e. bottom of the page).

I wouldn't be surprised if the ad had been designed to do this on purpose.... :irked: Anyway I am sure that gtPlanet gets financed at least in part by the advertising on the page, which makes it cheaper for us non premier users and is therefore nice. But in the case of this Orange advert, it seems that Orange is (in part) paying for the forum to be here, but then not letting us read it. Which is just cruel.

Only solution I have found so far has been to "hang on" to the vertical scroll bar with the left mouse button. It still jumps, but then instantly jumps back to where it was, allowing me to read complete sentences without being interrupted.

Only solution I have found so far has been to "hang on" to the vertical scroll bar with the left mouse button. It still jumps, but then instantly jumps back to where it was, allowing me to read complete sentences without being interrupted.

Thats what I found aswell. Its very annyoing indeed, but at least it works.

The ads do help me pay for the site, but I do my best to keep them from being intrusive and this is clearly not acceptable. As I do not personally approve every ad displayed on the site, sometimes things like this can slip in under the radar via the advertising agencies. I'll contact the agency I believe is serving this particular banner and hopefully we can get it disabled as soon as possible...

Yeah, that's what I have to do. :D

G.T
How do you mean?

We get no ads at all, thus no problem.

That's what i meant. Premium members have no ads right, so my idea was to see if any premium members get it to make sure it's the ad.

I don't seem to be getting that problem anymore. I also notice that the O2 advert is now different and does not have any focus grabbing textboxes anymore.

Latest Posts

Back