Youtube tags

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 3 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
FruitcakeGT
Why not allow the full URL to be used with the tags too? :)

Many people put this between the tags:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW3Tix--w9o

Or is there a reason it's not allowed?

I believe its the add-on used for youtube embed for this version of VB. I have it on my forum and it works the same way. But why the original add-on was designed this way I cant tell you. Its weird, but I've being using it for years so I'm used to it.

Speaking of Youtube tags, can the the youtube tag button be added to the quick reply box?

Why not allow the full URL to be used with the tags too? :)
Inserting the complete address requires the URL to be parsed. In other words, the video's unique identifier has to be extracted in order for the correct embed code (which actually inserts the video player in to the post) to be generated. I'm using vBulletin's default BB code function to insert the embed code (I explain why below), and unfortunately it does not allow the use of regular expressions to parse text strings enclosed in tags. As a result, us humans have to do the manual parsing instead of the server.

I believe its the add-on used for youtube embed for this version of VB. I have it on my forum and it works the same way. But why the original add-on was designed this way I cant tell you. Its weird, but I've being using it for years so I'm used to it.
I'm not sure which plugin you're using, but there are new plugins which do provide the extensive parsing functionality you may be looking for. I am not using a plugin to display the video here because of the long-term sustainability (or lack thereof) of privately maintained software modifications. New versions of vBulletin come along all the time, and I don't want an upgrade to break what has become an important and often-used feature of the site. Using vBulletin's included BB code is future-proof.

Speaking of Youtube tags, can the the youtube tag button be added to the quick reply box?
No, the Quick Reply box buttons can not easily be modified.

Back