Zonda R at the Ring

• Thread starter Wedge598
  • 29 comments
Wedge598
I've been on a Zonda kick lately. And one of things I've been doing with it is trying to beat the Nurburgring record they set with it in real life. The Zonda R did the tourist layout in 6:47 breaking the record for a production vehicle.

Then I tried it in the Zonda R I bought and have been using in GT5 and did it on my first try with a couple quick offs and got a 6:43. The only mod I put on my Zonda is racing mediums so I put on racing hards to try it again....

Well, I've yet to complete a lap with the hards as the thing now has some serious power-off oversteer that I'm having trouble keeping at bay. I always race with zero assists so I'm attempting to tame it with throttle control. I may give up because it's just not very fun.

Then to test things further I took the Zonda R out on the same track in Forza 3. Best I could do there was a 7:08 so far. I might be able to find a 7:00 flat in there but I doubt I'll get anywhere near the GT5 record I set.

And to go even further I took the same car out on the same track in GTR Evo on my computer and also found myself over 7 minutes.

Surprising the car handles pretty similarly in all three sims (assuming I stick racing mediums on it in GT5) It's fun to drive in all sims but I actually have to give GT5 a slight nod in the "scary fast" category. The car and track feel on the edge at all times whereas the cars in the other sims feel more stable and less scary. Forza 3 is the least satisfying experience as the car feels like it has too much grip and the track is much too smooth.

So, what is the deal with the GT5 car? Is it just too fast or is there some problem with the track length? Has anyone tried a similar test in another car and found GT5 to be closer to real life?

The Zonda R is not a production vehicle. It is not road-legal and does not qualify for any racing regulations.

They mentioned on TopGear that it has no purpose. You can't drive it on the road and it's so loud it breaks noise regulations, so you can't race it on track days.

I love Pagani, they are just totally nuts and the Zonda 7.2 (the standard one) is just fantastic, a quintessential super/hyper car.

The Zonda R is not a production vehicle. It is not road-legal and does not qualify for any racing regulations.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1046702_pagani-zonda-r-posts-record-647-nurburgring-lap-time.

While I agree that calling the Zonda a "production" car is a bit of a stretch. The fact is that it's record is being compared to other production cars (see my link above). Regardless the point is I was posting about my attempts to mimic that time and see how closely GT5 mirrored real life.

Zonda R is not that much away from a "normal" Zonda.
I called for sport hard/soft also. Street cars run on comforts.
If anyone wants to continue the countless threads about racing tire grip, please feel free xD

This is why I was wanting peoples opinions on tyres earlier, I usually think the tyres are one level higher than they should be, but with this car it might be 2. While that record lap was with slicks, perhaps GT5's slicks aren't representative since we can get that time easily. I can get near it with sport soft, so I guess somewhere around sport medium must be closest to reality overall.

But it might also be something else with the car that is set too high, aero or power maybe I might play with those the next time I have a drive.

But I just love driving this car around the ring, it's so much fun.

It's designed to run on racking slicks so anything less would really affect how it performs especially in the ring.

Ok. Thats cool with me.
However in order to be able to come to a conclusion, we now need the following:
1. Definition of Slicks for a P. Zonda R in Real life
2. The corresponding counterpart (grip wise) in GT5

My bet is, that its nothing in the R(H/M/S) series.

Best

I did that run with Sports Medium Tires, no aids but ABS to 1 and grip reduction set to real. Stock car from the Arcade Mode.

And a guy from the forums merge both real and virtual laps into one video and their pretty accurate:

I'm pretty sure 6:15-6:20 is posible on racing hards, which totally owns the real record.

Last edited:
I wanted to try this too but I couldn't find the Top Gear track in the list of available tracks to practice on. Where did you find it?
It becomes available only after Golding the Beginner (in the VW Campervans) TGTT special event. After that you can use it whenever. :)

Here's my attempt using Sport HARD tires. I couldn't brake 7:00 but if I didn't screw up the last turn it might have been a 6:55. The video doesn't really show how on-edge I was on just about every turn...and giving it too much throttle would spin the tires even in 4th gear.

Forza 3 is the least satisfying experience as the car feels like it has too much grip and the track is much too smooth.

That's because Forza 3 has a driving aid (Active steering) that cannot be turned off, and nordschleife on this game has a wider racing track that isn't similar to the real one.

I wanted to try this too but I couldn't find the Top Gear track in the list of available tracks to practice on. Where did you find it?

It's on the World Circuits tab.

Here's my attempt using Sport HARD tires. I couldn't brake 7:00 but if I didn't screw up the last turn it might have been a 6:55. The video doesn't really show how on-edge I was on just about every turn...and giving it too much throttle would spin the tires even in 4th gear.

That's impressive. I gave up on Racing hards as it was pretty easy to spin with those.

Zonda R is not that much away from a "normal" Zonda.
I called for sport hard/soft also. Street cars run on comforts.
If anyone wants to continue the countless threads about racing tire grip, please feel free xD

The only thing the zonda r has in common with a normal zonda is the basic shape. It's completely stripped, has different suspension, a different engine, a rollcage, and a different body among other things. It doesn't share much of anything with the street car.

It's a racecar, racecar's have slicks. Putting street tires on it wouldn't reflect realism.

But Sport soft and maybe even Sport mediums in the game have the same grip as real life slick tires.

I'm quite positive that you can beat real life time on the Nurburgring with Sports Hards.

I beat the time of the real life car on Sports Medium tires on a "decent lap", it wasn't even good nor outstanding error free lap.

You also have the liberty to push turns a lot harder in the game than you would ever attempt in real life. How many virtual Zondas will you destroy to beat the time on Sport Hards?

Furthermore, the game most likely does not mimic the road surface perfectly. There are turns you won't push as hard in real life because the slightest crack in the pavement or gravel on the road could send the car spinning into a barrier.

You also have the liberty to push turns a lot harder in the game than you would ever attempt in real life. How many virtual Zondas will you destroy to beat the time on Sport Hards?

Furthermore, the game most likely does not mimic the road surface perfectly. There are turns you won't push as hard in real life because the slightest crack in the pavement or gravel on the road could send the car spinning into a barrier.

I guess we shouldn't underestimate self preservation in this. I mean take Fuchsroehre, the real video has it braking well before it, but as we don't have to care about going through the armco and winding up 20m into the forest(this happened to someone when I was there) we can jump through flat and brake uphill. And the test runs aren't a race so the glory isn't there to see the driver push further particularly on a treacherous track.

I guess we shouldn't underestimate self preservation in this. I mean take Fuchsroehre, the real video has it braking well before it, but as we don't have to care about going through the armco and winding up 20m into the forest(this happened to someone when I was there) we can jump through flat and brake uphill. And the test runs aren't a race so the glory isn't there to see the driver push further particularly on a treacherous track.

Maybe we can try to turn driving line on and follow the braking marks. Perhaps those are similar to the real world usual braking areas.

Like Eleventeenhundredeight :dunce:

Now don't exaggerate. I'm sure you wouldn't destroy more than eleventysevenfive.

Amazing lap by the way. 👍

I did the same. But I tried to beat the Stig's time from Top gear and found myself considerably faster than the Stig.

Lap times from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

I have to ask... Did you do your runs from a standing start with either comfort soft or sport hard tires?

Last edited:
Now don't exaggerate. I'm sure you wouldn't destroy more than eleventysevenfive.

Amazing lap by the way. 👍

I have to ask... Did you do your runs from a standing start with either comfort soft or sport hard tires?

I tried the Top Gear track last night and was pleased with myself for getting a low 1:05 lap time but then I realized the Stig always starts from a standing start. I guess I'll retry that with a standing start if I can figure out how to time that properly.

I tried the Top Gear track last night and was pleased with myself for getting a low 1:05 lap time but then I realized the Stig always starts from a standing start. I guess I'll retry that with a standing start if I can figure out how to time that properly.

The clock doesn't start until you cross the line, so just stop right before the line and you can do a standing start.

Back