PS3 Online

• Thread starter GTguy40990
  • 71 comments
I guess new levels, weapons and stuff would not come in a save game form though, it would require a lot of space for that, so they'll probably use expansions to be installed in the HDD.

FatAssBR
I guess new levels, weapons and stuff would not come in a save game form though, it would require a lot of space for that, so they'll probably use expansions to be installed in the HDD.
The PS2 can receive new game levels, and such, for a game via a memory card. There was one for Socom 2 on the game demo discs from OPM.

Plus, memory card "Duo" sticks can now hold up to 8GB of info, with 1GB readily available for under $100.

Okay then, let me address your concerns in a legitimate manner.

First off, a game save file is the data saved to the memory card that records your progress through out the game. This will not be offered by any developer of the game officially, hence my statements from above.

Next, any levels, stages, uniforms, and additional things of the like, will be referred to as "downloadable content" from here on, by me at least. Now, you are correct that downloadable content can and will be offered by developers, but I think it's very important to recognize the difference between a game save and downloadable content.

With that being said, none of the two can do any physical damage to your hardware, however, it is possible for it to be malicious in a software manner to any writable media. Since the memory sticks are all forms of writable media, it is possible that can be corrupted via a "hacked" game save file. It is, however, less likely, that someone would hack any official downloadable content, as it would be a bit harder to spread to useres, but it is still possible.

Now, I don't know of any widespread accounts of this happening with the PS2, as I never invested in a DexDrive or anything similar on PS2, but on PS1 I did suffer a corrupted memory card due to hacked game saves.

:)

Solid Lifters
download game saves for levels to be unlocked that you cannot unlock yourself, etc.
Or, and a place, or even come to a game website like this one, where you can share game saves very easily. For example, didn't get all gold in GT5, but somebody else did?
Sorry Solid Lifters but you're wrong. I wasn't making things up. I knew you were going to say this, so I did my homework before I posted my last post ( the one before this one :dopey: )!! I was reacting on this part of your post when I mentioned cheat codes.

The part I left in quote did mention sharing game saves for unlocking stuff, getting all the gold etc.... We don't need game saves for something like that. This is already possible, using cheat codes.

You did talk about downloading:
Solid Lifters
updates for games like new levels, new characters, more weapons, new moves, different uniforms or outfits
This part, you mentioned, could be nice indeed. But I don't think it will be possible. If this is possible, then it is also possible (I think) to download patches, add-ons etc... lets say for GTR2 or 3 (if simbin makes a PS3 version)
Before you say that I'm making things up, remember what you said before.:) . I don't want to make a fuss about it, no hard feelings intended ;) .

kikie
Sorry Solid Lifters but you're wrong. I wasn't making things up. I knew you were going to say this, so I did my homework before I posted my last post ( the one before this one :dopey: )!! I was reacting on this part of your post when I mentioned cheat codes.

You made a mistake. I wasn't saying or suggesting you made anything up. I separated you from your quote by saying "Now in general;" Sorry if that confused you.

The part I left in quote did mention sharing game saves for unlocking stuff, getting all the gold etc.... We don't need game saves for something like that. This is already possible, using cheat codes.

That being true, it can also be possible to have game saves with say "all golds" made available at a place such as this. Like I mentioned before, game saves could be used as easy as cheat codes with the PS3. Besides, extra items are needed for cheat codes to work, if a game has no cheat codes. Like MGS3. No cheat codes exist whatsoever, unless a special device is used. Downloading game saves from the Internet eliminates the need to purchase such devices.

You did talk about downloading:
This part, you mentioned, could be nice indeed. But I don't think it will be possible. If this is possible, then it is also possible (I think) to download patches, add-ons etc... lets say for GTR2 or 3 (if simbin makes a PS3 version)
Before you say that I'm making things up, remember what you said before.:) . I don't want to make a fuss about it, no hard feelings intended ;) .

Again, I never said you made anything up. I just want to clear that up, again. I do think Sony will make it possible for game patches, add-ons, etc. downloaded to a memory card. They have it now on the PS2. So, why not include the PS3? Especially since memory cards now have more than enough space to store such information. I'm not saying they're going to, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

OK, so if the downloads from game developers web site's wont go on a memory card, then it will be downloaded to a HDD. It that's the case, then I'm all for it. I'll just go buy a HDD for my PS3. Either case, I think, and hope, down loadable content is a major feature of the PS3, unlike with the PS2. It is a feature of the PS2, but it isn't exploited like I hoped for.

FatAssBR
Isn't HDD on the PS3 a standard?
I don't think so. I thought that was one item that was dropped a while back, but that report could've been more Internet rumors mistaken for real news. Again, it's so hard to tell what the truth is with all the crap being flung.

I know Sony said a few weeks ago the system hasn't changed since TGS. Did Sony say for certain that it would come with one?

Sony hasn't come out and said it will or will not come with a Hard Drive, however, they have said that they will be available for retail, and that they will not be offering multiple SKU's of the PS3, which almost certainly means it will not be included as a standard out of the box feature.

Solid Lifters
You made a mistake. I wasn't saying or suggesting you made anything up. I separated you from your quote by saying "Now in general;" Sorry if that confused you.
Sorry. It did confuse me.

Solid Lifters
I do think Sony will make it possible for game patches, add-ons, etc. downloaded to a memory card.
If that is the case, I want to see the next GTR and GTL (and other realistic sims, maybe it's even possible to download LFS, NetKar pro etc) on the PS3.

Has anybody any experience or info about the Progressive-scan VGA Box???
directly from website
Enables display of progressive-scan DVD players, Consoles or Component video HDTV set-top boxes on VGA monitors and projectors
Automatic format selection for 480p, 720p, 1080i/540p
Can be displayed on two VGA monitors simultaneously
Enables high-resolution progressive-scan modes for Xbox, Gamecube, latest PS2 models and HDTV
Horizontal image centering and brightness adjustable
Crystal clear display
Compatible with all NTSC and PAL progressive formats with auto-mode detection
World's smallest adapter on the market
Universal Power Supply (100V - 240V, USA plug) included, works worldwide
Works for all consoles world wide (Japan, US, PAL)

The Component VGA box offers the ultimate picture quality on your VGA monitor or VGA projector. The first adapter to truly support progressive scan modes such as 480p, 540p, 576p (50Hz) and 720p it is the perfect accessory for high-resolution playback of DVD, HDTV, XBox, Gamecube and latest PS2 models.

Please Note that this VGA box is only compatible with signals that support progressive-scan modes. Please check the manual for the device you are connecting to ensure it supports progressive-scan.

Attachments

• progressive-component-vga.jpg
    progressive-component-vga.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 12
  • progressive-component-vga2.jpg
    progressive-component-vga2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 10
I could have used that but my cheap 23in HDTV is the only 8ms screen I've found for less than $800. pc LCD screens in that size and responce time are 3x as much but have greater resolution. I use my hdtv as a pc monitor my alternative is a 25ms 15in lcd or a bulky 19in CRT or my 27in TV that wont work right in anything higher than 480i with component. I've no clue how it would work with the DVI port as I dont want to waste $50 if it doesnt look better than component. Half-life 2 looks awsome in 720p widescreen.

Is there or isn't there going to be a HDD for the PS3??
I read this in an article (article from yesterday):
article from yesterday
Furthermore, there's space for the Detachable 2.5" Hard Drive, of which Sony would like to begin at 80 GB.

There's a questionnaire from SCEA. Very interesting questions.
Computer and Videogames
Suffice to say (out of a choice of 1 to 5 where 5 equals as "very important") I'd choose mainly 5's and a few 4's.
Does this mean Sony will be producing a unified online system like Xbox Live? Are they just blowing off? And if they will be producing a "PS3 Live" service when will it be ready by?

http://devstation.scee.com/speakers

Click on the above link and click on the two "Networking" members to read their profile. More support that Sony is going to have an online service of some sort. Notice where and what that one guy was working on previous to coming back to Sony? Interestink...:)

The PS3 easy to work on?

Sony's PS3 is a tingle-tangle of confusion when it comes to game development on the platform, right? Well, maybe that's putting it a bit harshly, but a number of high-profile third-party developers have, in recent times, lavished praise on Xbox 360 development tools and rated Microsoft's next-gen console above Sony's hotly anticipated new machine in this 'ease of development' regard.

But info now slowly beginning to trickle out of development houses wrestling with PS3 is suggesting the Japanese giant's console isn't the development conundrum that's been, er, suggested.

Guerrilla Games is one of the most recent of such development houses to cover this topic, when a studio employee (and on the Killzone team) touched on the progress Sony has made with development tools in the move from current-gen to next-gen. "...as for the PS2 vs PS3 development question. I was chatting to Michiel and he was telling me how crazy-easy it was compared to the PS2 and how much quicker things have been going for them. I will take his word on that", they said.

Yes, Guerrilla is now owned by Sony, but we'd like to think that this is an unbiased view of PS3 development. It's by no means concluding that PS3 is as easy, or easier, to develop for than Xbox 360, but if decent dev tools for Sony's next-gen console are in place then that's removing a major hurdle that initially caused much stumbling on PS2.

Ultimately, it means studios will be better able to harness the full power of the machine quicker thanks to not having to mess around re-inventing the wheel.

Sony just released an online survey about the PS3 online:

"The Playstation 3 is billed to be the ultimate gaming machine, however as of yet not much has been said of its online element.

That has changed somewhat, now, as a survey was sent out by Sony last week to registered beta testers asking questions about preferences with online layout and gaming. The survey posed questions about every aspect of online gaming including online lobbies and Eye-Toy chat.

Here is the Survey:

“Dear .....
The launch of the PlayStation 3 this year is an exciting time for all of us and presents many opportunities. We are constantly looking to improve our online service so that it meets all of your expectations.

Featured in the below link is a survey, giving you the chance to help shape the future of online gaming. We value your input and would like to receive your feedback and suggestions. Please take some time to fill out this survey before February 1st 2006 by clicking on the following link. You will be unable to access and complete this survey once it has expired.

1. On a typical day, how often do you play games online?
2. Do you own a PSP?
3. What is your preferred Online gaming format?
4. What Online Gaming Formats do you own?
5. Do you think you will purchase a PS3?
6. A single identity and password for all online games?
7. Global Lobbies allowing you to play against anyone in the world?
8. Game Lobbies should be language based. (English, French, German etc)
9. Game Lobbies should be based geographically.
10. A standard, interactive lobby structure for all games.
11. Headset support in all online games?
12. A QWERTY keyboard as standard for messaging.
13. USB Keyboard support for every online title.
14. Friend List allowing you to see online/offline status?
15. Friend List allowing you to see what game your friends are playing?
16. Private Messaging across games?
17. A feedback rating allowing you to choose who you play against?
18. Ability to remove players out via a majority vote?
19. Game Host has the ability to remove players?
20. Automatically filter opponents based on connection quality?
21. The ability to download music, game demos and other content?"

From the questions asked in the survey, Sony looks to incorprate some things we have not seen in Xbox Live service including USB keyboard support, screenshot support, a web browser, and EyeToy compatible lobbies. The exact details of the system, however, won't be available until Sony makes an official announcement.

By Justin Pinter"
http://www.ps3land.com/news/article229.php

The Official Playstation Magazine has a entire feature about the new online service. Plus, this just came to me...

More Evidence That Sony is Making PS3 Online Gaming Service
Jan 31, 2006 @ 12:05pm

Summary: Is Sony getting into the online market? The evidence is growing.

Full:
If recent rumors are anything to go by, Microsoft's Xbox Live online service may soon have some serious competition.

According to Computer and Video Games, the latest issue of Official US PlayStation Magazine contains some juicy nuggets about what may turn out to be Sony's answer to Xbox Live.

According to the mag, Sony wants more than mere matchmaking and third-party supported online gameplay. They're also planning to integrate PSP support. But perhaps most fascinating of all is the notion that Sony may already be working with developers to ensure network compatibility.

This doesn't come as a huge surprise, given the surveys Sony recently sent to online media outlets that referred to, among other topics, a Sony-managed online gaming service.

More updates soon.

Plus, this info was posted at a Playstation website, with the following pictures which was soon taken down.

"President of Sony has made it clear that his company has an amibitious new online strategy."

"Cast aside any doubts and start gazing toward skyward, because thats where Sony is aiming with plans that go far beyond simple leaderboards and matchmaking."

"Sony has just delivered the final development hardware to U.S. game developers. We can confirm that developers have already begun meetings with Sony's support teams to make sure their games are compatible with the yet unnamed Online Service."

"Its very real, one source tells us. They (Sony) are dead serious about it. They've declared a full on assault on the latest version of Xbox Live!"

"The online service is being designed to also work with the PSP and its games. Think one, BIG Playstation network!"

PSM_Mag_PS3_pg1.jpg

PSM_Mag_PS3_pg2.jpg

PSM_Mag_PS3_pg3.jpg

yeh ive just read this on another site, seems like Sony isnt going to take the next console battle lying down. I just hope its got a pricing statergy like X-Box live, or it wont work.

PSM magazine reported that Sony is planning to launch a new PlayStation Online Service, which will include all functions currently available in Microsoft's Xbox Live, plus it will support both with both PS3 and PSP. (www.the-magicbox.com), ...this supports Solid Lifter's source...
well that is a good thing, isn't it ? :)

Let's hope this time, Sony means it. Remember what was said back in 2001?

"...the most significant aspect of the PS2 might be its ability to hook into the Internet, making it a "Trojan horse" to bring online gaming, e-commerce, Web browsing, e-mail and downloading of music, software and video into the home. In 2001, Sony will sell a combination high-speed Internet connector and hard-disk drive that is geared solely for high-speed connections. Previous attempts to merge the Net with game consoles have flopped, but Sony thinks it can buck the trend. "You can communicate to a new cybercity," gushes Ken Kutaragi, the visionary behind the PlayStation. "This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"

With Sony, you have no idea it plans will be implemented.

Solid Lifters
With Sony, you have no idea it plans will be implemented.

Sony scraped the media functions for the PS2 HDD in favor of the psp. This was mentioned by Ken Kutaragi in a OPM i think. The PSP has like 5 times the features of PS2. With that out of the way Sony can focus on more than hardware this time.

...Lets just say that I am extremely skeptical after how badly Sony had dropped the ball with the PS2 online abilities...

...I seem to remember Sony talking about something online where you could be anywhere in the world with your PSP and over Wi-Fi you would be able to connect with your PS3 and somehow play games or do something with the damn thing thousands of miles away... Kinda like Slingbox, eh?

Well, I understand that you are sceptical, but times have changed and online play is established in the console world. Xbox Live is both a great fun and an huge success, so I think that a PS3 Live is a logical step.
But you're right, we have to wait and see....

IGN
Koei Aims Online
Dynasty Warriors publisher looking at all three next generation systems.
by Anoop Gantayat

February 1, 2006 - Koei's Online gaming executive Kenji Matsuhara, speaking with Japanese game site Impress Watch, has shed a bit of light on his company's upcoming Online game plan for next generation consoles. While the Japanese company's Online plans have focused on the PC, Koei is now looking closely at all three next generation systems.

The presence of a hard disk seems to be important in determining which system Koei will support with its massively multiplayer Online (MMO) titles. "We believe that for an MMO, a hard disk is a requirement," Matsuhara commented to the site. "The presence or lack of a hard disk will change our reaction."

Matsuhara wouldn't give any specific titles, but did mention Nobunaga's Ambition Online as an example. "If you have, on the PS3, a hard disk from the start, and can enjoy other Online services, we'll probably put Nobunaga's Ambition Online on it as well. On that note, if Xbox 360 and Revolution match our thinking, we believe they could also become target platforms."

If Nobunaga's Ambition Online were to appear on the Xbox 360 or PS3, Matsuhara believes Koei would have to make some decisions about how to bring the title over to the new platforms. A conversion that lacks improved graphics would not be enjoyed by fans, he believes, but on the other hand, updating the visuals would require quite a bit of development. "We'll have to look at it closely before deciding."

Outside of the hard disk, Matsuhara also seems to be hoping for some type of full-fledged Online program for the PS3. In contrast to the disappointment he feels with Sony's limited PlayStation 2 "BB Navigator" network program, Matsuhara believes Xbox Live aims to offer what's needed for all Online games, including MMO's.

"We hope that the PS3 will have a similar -- or even greater -- setup," he said, referring to Xbox Live. "For us, if non-gaming areas are handled by the platform, we can concentrate on the real game content. For things like mail and chat, we'd like to be able to call a platform API function from within the game." An API is a set of common tools that all developers can use instead of making their own; in this case, Matsuhara is referring to mail and chatting tools provided by a service such as Xbox Live, which Koei could simply reuse rather than creating from scratch.

Koei seems to be hoping for a lot from the PS3, but it's also looking into Xbox 360 development. Regarding Square Enix's Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XI announcement at last year's E3, Matsuhara said, "I too was surprised at last year's E3. As for development for the Xbox 360, we'd like to investigate it while engaging in dialogue with Microsoft."

Koei has embraced both the PS3 and Xbox 360, the former with at least three titles in development and the latter already set to receive its second Dynasty Warriors game in Japan. Whatever decision Koei comes to regarding console versions of its Online properties, we expect to hear something solid at least in time for E3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/684/684921p1.html

Latest Posts

Back