Weekly Drift Series: Week 1 Open! Check Drift Competition Subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
Ok, looks like participation in the GTPDC's has dropped from it's already low numbers since the last time I looked in on this place. I can't figure out if it's because people are uninterested in competing with each other, or if a full lap is just too much work and too time consuming for most members. It's certainly not due to a lack of movie makers out there.

So, I had an idea - not to replace the GTPDC's, but to serve as a stepping stone into them...

The Weekly Drift Series

wdsbannerja5.jpg

This series will take core concepts from other competitions like the Beginner Drift Competition we ran in the spring, the weekly drift photomode competitions, the WRS, and AO's Gauntlet (if anyone who was here right at the start of GT4 drifting remembers that - I do, I won it ;) )

The concept:
Every week a theme will be provided, normally by the most recently crowned winner - much like in the photo comps. A theme will provide a small section to drift (3 corners or less) and/or a vehicle/brand/drivetrain/era/etc to use. It could be like 'drift AH Turn 1+2 in any AWD Skyline' or 'drift the loop at AR II in a pre-1980's vehicle'. Something like that.

There will be 1 week to perform, capture and upload videos. The videos should be uploaded to youtube and the link sent to the event coordinator. There should be no distinguishing marks in the video, just to keep things as unbiased as we can. Then when the video deadline hits, the event coordinator can post all the vids into a thread with the youtube plugin and construct a poll so that everyone can have a say in the results (this is unlike the GTPDC, more like the photomode comps or AO's Gauntlet).

There will be 1 week for voting, while the next week of the competition occurs simultaneously. After voting, the poll is closed, the winner crowned, and the next theme announced (as selected by the winner).
Got it?

There'll be much less emphasis on the line/angle/smoke/control type criteria used in the GTPDC in the voting - it'll just be a poll for 'which do you like the most'. You are, of course, free to use GTPDC categories to decide which you like most if you want... whatever matters to you. Personally, because the sections will only consist of a few corners, creativity is going to be a bit important in getting my vote.

So ya, that's the plan. Hopefully it becomes a popular idea. I think it'll serve as a great way to get people interested in friendly competition here without too much pressure. And because the sections are short it'll be easier to get adventurous, it should be quick to get an entry, and on the whole the challenge is less daunting than a full course GTPDC. Additionally, it'll be a great way for new/struggling drifters to get tips (much like I hope the BDC was). Everyone has a week to attempt the section, and then when the poll is put up new drifters will be able to see how others tackled the secton and take notes from that, and continue to practice it on their own.
Oh, and everyone is welcome to enter - no longer do GTPDC judges have to sit on the sidelines. ;)

If there is significant interest I'll talk things over with Swift and maybe even Spec (~jabs Spec in the ribs~ :sly: ), and see if we can get things up and running.

Please leave comments/opinions/suggestions.

I think this is a great idea. But I want ALL members to chime in on it. :)

I think its a great idea, i will compete every week.

Hopfully many more will think so too..

i think its a great idea! how do you plan on choosing car/track for each event? i already have an idea about it if you want input.
but guys, ive got one thing to say. DONT say your going to participate and never turn a video in. that is what kills competitions.
if i see a track/car combo i like, i will almost certinaly enter.
it really depends on the car and track at hand.
but i like the idea, as it will be fast paced and should go along smoothly.
will you accept videos from xlink as long as they comply with that weeks car/track selection? if so i would probably participate quite a bit.
how will you limit each car, performance wise? will you assign just one, stock car that everyone has to use? or will you pick a hp/weight limit and let the members choose the car? or how will you do that? what camera will be used?

DONT say your going to participate and never turn a video in. that is what kills competitions.

That is so true...

This drift seriest could be good, sounds like the sections could be pretty close to what we've seen from rl drift comps (2-4 turns only). It's probably a lot easier to get some decent clips in when the entrants don't have to worry about a whole lap.

As for car restrictions, I really don't see why they should be enforced (other than possibly drivetrain). People should IMO be able to tune their cars to their liking... Maybe ask entrants to include their car's power output and whatever in the clips, or something like that, if you want to be able to base judging on that...

I just wanna see some fat drifts here, whether it's done in a 1000HP viper or a 150HP corolla shouldn't really matter...

Ske
That is so true...

This drift seriest could be good, sounds like the sections could be pretty close to what we've seen from rl drift comps (2-4 turns only). It's probably a lot easier to get some decent clips in when the entrants don't have to worry about a whole lap.

As for car restrictions, I really don't see why they should be enforced (other than possibly drivetrain). People should IMO be able to tune their cars to their liking... Maybe ask entrants to include their car's power output and whatever in the clips, or something like that, if you want to be able to base judging on that...

I just wanna see some fat drifts here, whether it's done in a 1000HP viper or a 150HP corolla shouldn't really matter...
Well, we can have classes for that like in BMI(NA vs Turbo etc etc ). I suggest we can get Jpn vs America cars in drifting or something like that.

ive been waiting for something like this to happen....:crazy:

hehe, you shoulda said something.

@Suzuki: the xlink thing is up for debate. I can't decide which side of the fence I'm sitting on about it. Suppose we could start by allowing them and see how it goes. As for limiting performance that's up to whoever sets the theme (the most recently announced winner). I'd like to leave things more or less wide open though - ie. you can limit things by make/model/nationality/performance level/date range/class/drivetrain/size/etc/etc/etc but don't pick to many particulars. Just one or two things... like a 1985 to 1995 FR, or a sub 450hp German car. But if you start putting too many limits on things I feel it will stimey people's creativity and drive down participation.
Camera is also up for debate. That's one thing I'd like retained from GTPDC - track cam and in car - but if people would rather opt for dive cams and stuff I'm open to suggestion.

edit:

NK
Well, we can have classes for that like in BMI(NA vs Turbo etc etc ). I suggest we can get Jpn vs America cars in drifting or something like that.
That's kinda interesting, but I question how easily we could integrate such an idea. See, I'd like to get as many entrants as possible, and I'd like to allow each to drift with as few restrictions as possible, and keep turnover fast to keep it active, and so people don't put it off until last minute and then realize they have a doctors appointment that they forgot about, or something and end up missing the deadline. That's whats nice about the short course and short timeframe - it's not time consuming and you should be able to plan ahead and know if you can participate or not. But for this idea you bring up we'd have to have all participants weigh in ahead of time and indicate their class/nationality and all that stuff, and try to keep the numbers on each side more or less even. This planning will chew up time, and then you have to hope to hell that everyone submits. Once that hurdle is ...hurdled, then you end up with more than a single winner, and as I've pieced this together, it kinda hinges on there being only one winner... it's just a bit too much of a hassle and generally outside of the scope of this competition. I don't think it'd work here.

I just want to see people put on a good show for a few corners with as few limits imposed on them as possible, and then see how people vote.
So, not to shoot you down or anything, it's just that the whole NA/Turbo or US/JPN thing sounds like it'd be better suited to a separate competition to me, rather than something to be brought into this idea.

well you took my idea for choosing car/track.
i think that you should have one camera thats the same for everyone, so we can all see the same view, and it would be easier to judge who had more angle, smoke, etc.

That's kinda interesting, but I question how easily we could integrate such an idea. See, I'd like to get as many entrants as possible, and I'd like to allow each to drift with as few restrictions as possible, and keep turnover fast to keep it active, and so people don't put it off until last minute and then realize they have a doctors appointment that they forgot about, or something and end up missing the deadline. That's whats nice about the short course and short timeframe - it's not time consuming and you should be able to plan ahead and know if you can participate or not. But for this idea you bring up we'd have to have all participants weigh in ahead of time and indicate their class/nationality and all that stuff, and try to keep the numbers on each side more or less even. This planning will chew up time, and then you have to hope to hell that everyone submits. Once that hurdle is ...hurdled, then you end up with more than a single winner, and as I've pieced this together, it kinda hinges on there being only one winner... it's just a bit too much of a hassle and generally outside of the scope of this competition. I don't think it'd work here.

I just want to see people put on a good show for a few corners with as few limits imposed on them as possible, and then see how people vote.
So, not to shoot you down or anything, it's just that the whole NA/Turbo or US/JPN thing sounds like it'd be better suited to a separate competition to me, rather than something to be brought into this idea.
Well, it can be a different level, I know where your going with this. But should this be for only the new drifters or a separte thing for veterans like the GTPDC.

Well, it can be a different level, I know where your going with this. But should this be for only the new drifters or a separte thing for veterans like the GTPDC.

Open to everyone, the more the better. And before you ask - no, no separate classes for each. It's one big orgy. If people want to compete with people at their same skill level they should goto the GTPDC's or make individual challenges. I already said this isn't meant to replace those events. It's entirely different and more for fun than anything serious.

I think it's a great idea Boundary Layer. I'm pretty new to this site and haven't had any chance to enter anything. When I saw that Beginner Drift Competition, I was bummed I didn't get to enter. I wanted to enter something like that, see how my skills are compared to other newbies. Keep up the great ideas. :)

One idea I have is compare newer cars to older cars. Like a new Skyline versus an old one, Silvia's, MR2's. I just think it would be cool to compare if the older models drift better, worse or about the same. Tell me what you think.

You get my vote of confidence Tank......err i mean Boundary Layer. I also think it will be good to keep out to many specifics. You could even limit the amount of specifics allowed in a theme for everybody. So rather than getting;

Nissan skylines, 324.6bhp, Enki wheels, GT-R Vspec II only, Yellow cars only

We will get something like;

cars made between 1980 - 1990, RWD only, European Manufactuers

It will allow alot more creativity to come from the participant and they still have a vast array of tools to use but at the same time being slightly restrictive and making the entrants think about what they will use to give them the edge.

How will the entering work though? will the participants just pop there videos in the entry thread via utube in the same fashion as the DPC, ie you have final entry written above and then the video wrapped in utube tags below. Or would everybody who entered automatically go through to the poll and just have to list what car they have used etc so that people cannot look at others videos and try to beat it. I think this would just make people wait untill the last moment before posting their entries and possibly missing the deadline resulting in a loss of entrants.

Spec....

Open to everyone, the more the better. And before you ask - no, no separate classes for each. It's one big orgy. If people want to compete with people at their same skill level they should goto the GTPDC's or make individual challenges. I already said this isn't meant to replace those events. It's entirely different and more for fun than anything serious.
Well,make a thread next week and I will enter it.

How will the entering work though? will the participants just pop there videos in the entry thread via utube in the same fashion as the DPC, ie you have final entry written above and then the video wrapped in utube tags below. Or would everybody who entered automatically go through to the poll and just have to list what car they have used etc so that people cannot look at others videos and try to beat it. I think this would just make people wait untill the last moment before posting their entries and possibly missing the deadline resulting in a loss of entrants.

Spec....

That's actually a good question. PM'ing the head of the competition(ME!) with your link to youtube would be best. That way would could keep it anonymous.

I'd say send it to BL, but he doesn't have premium, at the moment and his PM box would fill up quickly! :dopey:

EDIT: Doh, BL is preumium now, so you could send it to him instead of meh. :dunce:

That's actually a good question. PM'ing the head of the competition(ME!) with your link to youtube would be best. That way would could keep it anonymous.

I'd say send it to BL, but he doesn't have premium, at the moment and his PM box would fill up quickly! :dopey:

Can we make up nicknames for the poll?

Does it really matter?

Maybe...since it isn't a serious competition..like..like someone is called Caboose and the view would try to find a user called Caboose.Yes, I know its kind of a weak practical joke.....I will be quiet now....

Maybe...since it isn't a serious competition..like..like someone is called Caboose and the view would try to find a user called Caboose.Yes, I know its kind of a weak practical joke.....I will be quiet now....

It doesn't really matter though. Because the names will be devulged when the poll is complete. Not a big deal.

Spec....

someone didn't read the fine print:
me
There will be 1 week to perform, capture and upload videos. The videos should be uploaded to youtube and the link sent to the event coordinator. There should be no distinguishing marks in the video, just to keep things as unbiased as we can. Then when the video deadline hits, the event coordinator can post all the vids into a thread with the youtube plugin and construct a poll so that everyone can have a say in the results (this is unlike the GTPDC, more like the photomode comps or AO's Gauntlet).
to rephrase - the entrant should not post their own video or indicate their car choice. They should send the link to their youtube video to the event coordinator, and the event coordinator will post it in the poll thread for them. It just gives a little more anonymity, which I believe is important even in a fun even tlike this when everyone is helping decide the winner.

and Swift - I've been premium for about a year.

I like the challenge, but theres one thing.

I been in the dark for a while, and i got a question.

GT4 is on the PC? if so can i compete in this idea using the PS2?

Beacause if seen some user screenshots and i have no idea how they would come out so clear on ps2.

um... what?

yes, infact we'd actually encourage you to use a PS2 since infact it is not a PC game.

GT4 is on the PC? if so can i compete in this idea using the PS2?
GT4 is on PS2, of course

Beacause if seen some user screenshots and i have no idea how they would come out so clear on ps2.
Transfered to a USB memory stick, they can be rendered in 4x the normal TV resolution (1280x1024)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I SEEE and to play online i use the xlink thing right? And the usb memory stick are those cheap little sandisk things right??

I'm thinking of starting Saturday or Sunday, since I can guarantee I will not be running off to class on those days. Mon-Fri university (and/or the gf) keeps me relatively busy.

Hopefully there's no objections. Hang tight a few more days.

i well join in. but one thing. ****ing youtube banned me do to nbc geting pissed at sum footage i uploaded. do we have to use youtube? cuz my ip is banned from uploading any videos. tho my google video acc still works. could we use that. "and there qual never go's down over time like youtube"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back