Motorstorm PS3 - Mega Thread

Maybe if there are enough people interested we could set-up a game for just GTP players?

I would love to do that, not only with Motorstorm, but with games like Resistance as well. As of now, i do not know anyone that has a playstation 3. So i have no online friends:indiff: .

Anyway, what time of online modes are offered?

I would love to do that, not only with Motorstorm, but with games like Resistance as well. As of now, i do not know anyone that has a playstation 3. So i have no online friends:indiff: .

Anyway, what time of online modes are offered?
When I went online it gave me a choice of four different "lobbies":
  • US Central
  • US Central 1
  • US Central 2
  • Australia
I'm not sure why there is a USC (blank), and a USC 1, you'd think logically the second USC room would be 2. :)

It looks like when a lobby gets full (256 players) they add a new lobby for that "area". When I was playing it looked like there were about 750 players online at any given time.

Once you select a lobby you get the following choices:
  • Create a Game
  • Join a Game
  • Lobby Info
Lobby Info, gives you a list of all the players in that lobby. The list is ranked by "Fame" (some kind of game ranking, but its not clear what stats it is based on), it would be nice if they would also let you sort the list of players by name.)

From the list you can select any player you want to see their stats:
  • Last Vehicle Used:
  • No. of Races Played:
  • No. of Losses:
  • No. of Wins:
  • Win %:
  • Longest Winning Streak:
  • Current Winning Streak:
  • Death Count:
  • Drop Out Count:
  • Most Used Vehicle:
  • Least Used Vehicle:
Selecting "Join Game" takes you to the list of races that are currently in play or waiting on players to join in that lobby.

When you select a race, it then lists all the specifics about the race as determined by the player that created it. If it meets your needs, select Join.

From there you get a list of all the players & their fame ranking. Like before, you can click on any player to get a list of all their stats.

Also, when ever someone is talking using their heasets, an "ear" icon will show up to the left of their name.

Going back to the main online menu, to create a game, select it. It will set-up a default game which you can change to meet your needs from the following choices:
  • Game Name: (self explanatory)
  • Track Selection:
    • The Grizzly
    • Coyote Rage
    • Mudpool
    • Rock Hopper
    • Tenderizer
    • Dust Devil
    • Sidewinder Gulch
    • Raingod Mesa
  • Vehicle Selection: (one or any combination)
    • Bikes
    • ATVs
    • Buggies
    • Rally Cars
    • Racing Trucks
    • Mud Pluggers
    • Big Rigs
  • Number of Laps: (1 - 5)
  • Ambience:
    • Morning
    • Midday
    • Cloudy
    • Misty
    • Dusk
    • Sunset
  • Catch-up: (On - Off)

Hope that helped. :)

I got my game today too. I'll be playing for a little while. I do my heavy gaming on weekends. I work 11 hours a day this week :(.

No friends list REALLY takes it down a notch, kinda sucks, actually. I wish their online was more similar to what Insomniac has set up with Resistance, as it's an amazing online setup.

It's fun, looks awesome, sounds awesome...but the online is missing so much. It feels a lot like a PS2 game online, that looks and sounds amazing.

I still can't get over the no friends list thing.

Dead_Poetic
I would love to do that, not only with Motorstorm, but with games like Resistance as well. As of now, i do not know anyone that has a playstation 3. So i have no online friends

Post your name in there brother! I already added you though. 👍
It's fun, looks awesome, sounds awesome...but the online is missing so much. It feels a lot like a PS2 game online, that looks and sounds amazing.

I still can't get over the no friends list thing.
But what do you mean by that? That you have to manually add friends to your list?

@Toronado: Do you have a PS3? If so, what's your PSN ID?

Don Vito
@Toronado: Do you have a PS3? If so, what's your PSN ID?
No, I do not yet. Nor do I have any 7th gen console. I've been bumming off of my cousin (who owns all 3) until I get around to getting a PS3. I can easily afford one, but I cannot easily afford an HDTV. And my parents wouldn't even think of letting me use the 720p set in the living room, nor would I want to.

About the online: I doubt that it will be that big of a deal for me, at least initially. I haven't used a console online since SEGA-NET was disbanded in 2002.

No, not that you have to add friends to your friends list. I mean no friends list period.

The only options onlien are:

Get online.

Create Game.

Join Game.

You eithe create it in a server and people you know can join (which would have to be coordinated before hand) or you have to join an existing game. That's it. No friends at all.

So, what's the verdict?

If you want the verdict about the game... I say its a rent, not a buy.

Dont get me wrong i like the gameplay, i found this game even more immersive than i thought and its very challenging but with the contents this game shouldnt be sold the same price as others PS3 games.

The content lacks, theres only 2 way of playing this game, the "career" way and online... In the background you can see videos of buggy doing some 8 donuts and some acrobatics jumps... Nothing like that in the game, no split screen either...

I believe they released this game early or they simply didnt have ideas... Again dont get me wrong i like the gameplay im having some fun right now but i just think that they could have add more content.

I rented it, i have to take it back monday and i am sure that I will have had enough of it. Im looking foward for Motorstorm 2 with more content! :)

P.S: Sorry for my english i am french.

So, what's the verdict?
Gameplay wise it's great? Content wise? It sucks.

Then again, Evolution had to develop practically everything (including its own custom engine), and they had to meet a deadline. I'm sure Motorstorm 2 will definitely be a home run on that front.

I did, but i dont think that pako is still updating it. But you added me? i didnt know that.

That's correct, since Jordan added the ID tag in the user profile, seemed like redundant work. :)

my biggest gripe is the lack of replay. how can you have a racing game with all that mayhem happening all around you and no way to go see what happened! damn

b

No, not that you have to add friends to your friends list. I mean no friends list period.

The only options onlien are:

Get online.

Create Game.

Join Game.

You eithe create it in a server and people you know can join (which would have to be coordinated before hand) or you have to join an existing game. That's it. No friends at all.
I agree, while Motorstorm's online gameplay is admittedly really fun, the online networking features are absolutely horrible!

It is next to impossible to see where your friends are playing, which means your only hope is to call them on the phone to let them know you are there.

The only way to know if they are playing Motorstorm at that time is to check the Friends menu in the XMB, but this wont tell you if they are playing online or not.

While you can send them a message through the PS3 letting them know you are online and try and coordinated playing online, they wont get it if they are already playing.

Your only choice is to search every server, and even that is a serious pain, as they only sort the list of players by Fame... which is ridiculous!

To make matters worse, when you create a game, it doesn't allow you to invite friends, or to make a game invitational only. This means everyone that you arrange to play online together must quickly join the game before strangers take up those spots. 👎

Evolution really dropped the ball here, and should have followed Sony's lead in how they managed online features with Formula One: Championship Edition.

In F1CE, you not only have a much larger selection of servers (in F1CE they call them "channels", in Motorstorm they call them "lobbies") to choose from, making it very easy to host an online game in relative privacy, but finding friends, or even specific types of players is VERY easy!

Right off the bat, you can go to the "FRIENDS LIST" in the "COMMUNITY" menu, and it will list all the people on your friends list, and let you know if they are currently logged onto an F1CE channel.

If they are, you can select "JOIN FRIEND", to join them in a game. You can also add friends from here, as well as check out their detailed stats in F1CE. You can also send them text messages from the Community menu as well.

If you join an existing game, there is also an option for inviting a friend to join you in that game.

You can also create a game and set the "GAME ENTRY" to "Open Access", "Password Protected", or "Invitation Only". Thus giving you plenty of control on who you want in your game.

Also, F1CE allows you to not only view everyone's ranking, but to sort it by Overall Points, Best Lap Times, and Average Lap Times for each and/or all tracks.

Another added feature with F1CE's online play is the ability to join a race that is currently under way and watch it as a spectator, or if you like, join the race by replacing one of the AI cars.

None of these useful online options from F1CE are available in Motorstorm's online features. Which is all the more disappointing, as the online gameplay in Motorstorm is what will extend the replay value of this game, as the regular game takes very little time to reach 100% completion, and the ending BTW is a real let down. 👎

The only hope is that Evolution will be able to add some of these features with future software updates.

my biggest gripe is the lack of replay. how can you have a racing game with all that mayhem happening all around you and no way to go see what happened! damn

No true replay was my disappointment with the demo. Well it looks like this game can wait until its a greatest hits $25 or less before I purchase it.
That a shame to, hardly any good car games at the moment. Not really impressed with the Formula One demo either.:indiff:

Did anyone see the interview from a motor storm producer? He said many new features can be added through downloadable content in cluding a reply editor and new mods of play. As or right now MS is not worth $60 imo. $40 max.

Here are some more specific details about downloadable contect for Motorstorm from GameSpot.UK:

MotorStorm Downloadable Content Impressions

It's fair to say that after it was unveiled at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2005, MotorStorm was one of the most anticipated titles for Sony's PlayStation 3. The end result didn't quite live up to our high expectations, but some of the criticisms leveled at the game appear to be addressed by a series of downloads that are due for release in the coming months. With new multiplayer modes and new tracks already nearing completion, we made the journey to Evolution Studios' headquarters in the north of England to become the first in world to see some of this new content in action.

Many of the negative points made about MotorStorm revolved around the game's multiplayer mode, which lacked variety beyond the single-race mode. While that in itself was fun enough, and the game was more than capable of allowing 12 players from across the world to hit the dirt, it lacked the depth of the majority of its contemporaries. While split-screen multiplayer remains off the cards because of technical issues, Evolution plans to appease the online community with a number of new modes, two of which we saw on our visit. The eliminator mode should be familiar to players of such games as Burnout Revenge, where the car in last position is forced to retire at periodic intervals. The tried-and-tested time trial mode will also be making an appearance.

The Evolution offices made a perfect environment to see these new modes in action, and the design team wasted no time in booting up nine PlayStation 3s over their local network to demonstrate the fruits of their labour. The elimination mode works by retiring the person in last position. So every 30 seconds, someone was removed from the race. It's up to the host to decide this exact time period, as well as the other match parameters, but 30 seconds seemed like a decent amount of time to produce the necessary frenzy at the back of the field. Once eliminated, players can view the current last-place competitor until the end of the race, while those still in the race can dish out taunts via voice communication. As with the single-race mode, only the winner is given points that count toward the winner's online ranking, but it already looks as though this will become a popular alternative to straight races.

Meanwhile, the time trial mode looks as though it will become a surefire way of sorting the wheat from the chaff when it comes to online competitions. The game gives you the chance to prove your mettle on any of the courses and in any of the vehicles while ghost cars record your performance every step of the way. Once completed, you can compare your times to those of the best around the world and upload the ghost details if you're in the top 100. It's fairly simple stuff in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully the time trial mode will combine with the eliminator mode to extend the appeal of the multiplayer offering. Evolution is still tweaking both game modes, but the developer hopes that people will be able to get their hands on both downloads in the next couple of months. No price has been announced formally for either release, but it is very likely that there will be some charge involved. There were some strong hints that the time trial mode may be offered as a free download, but we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed until an official announcement is made.

The final piece of downloadable content unveiled during our visit was the new Coyote Revenge track, which will be the first new circuit added to the original set of eight tracks. While Coyote Revenge is a reversed version of the first Coyote track, which was the first track designed for the game, it has been updated with some subtle upgrades. The team believes that even masters of the original Coyote will have a hard time navigating the reversed track. To make sure of this, the team dropped in a new turn at the beginning of the course, as well as added in more festival details, such as caravans, hot air balloons, and even a giant coyote skeleton in the middle. The team also changed some of the mud and dirt to balance it out for different vehicles, and the thin, winding roads promise to pose quite a challenge for multiplayer races.

Clearly, much of this new downloadable content offers much-needed longevity to the original release, so the only downside is the likelihood that we will have to pay for it once it hits the PlayStation store. The new eliminator and time trial modes look likely to match the original race mode in terms of popularity, while the new Coyote Revenge track will hopefully pave the way for some completely new tracks in the future. The game is set for release alongside the console in Europe on March 23. We'll be sure to keep you updated on any developments with this new downloadable content.

Also, there is a very useful thread on the PS3 boards giving details and links on just about everything one might need to know about Motorstorm, and as more info comes out, it looks like the author is keeping it updated:
I particularly like the track maps, but it would be nice if someone made available larger higher resolution maps than those.

BTW: Does anyone know how to unlock the Porsche 911?

Updates are coming, which is good, but they shouldn't be charging us for what should have been included when the game was released.:yuck:

Kenji, I agree! Hopefully most feel the same way, and Evolution decides against charging for the downloads.

On a different note:

I saw what looked like a truck with a Ferrari type body w/ black and red striping... has anyone unlocked that one yet, and if so, please post pics!

that porshe looks like a 959.
The rear certainly does share similarities to the 959/961, and Porsche did develop the 959 as a Group B rally car which they used in a few Paris-Dakar rally races, evening winning it one year.

There are quite a few cars in the game that are clearly "inspired" by real word counterparts. Besides the Porsche & Ferrari, I can see striking similarities to a Dodge Charger, '55 Chevy truck, Peterbuilt cab, Lancia rally car, Renault Turbo 5, 70's Jeep Wrangler, 60's VW Beetle, 40's BMW motorcycle, etc. It would be interesting to know for sure what some of these cars were designed after, although for legal reasons I suspect Evolution isn't allowed to say for sure. :)

EDIT: Wikipedia has a nice photo of a 959 during the 1986 Paris-Dakar rally.

750px-Porsche_959.jpg

Still a lot of differences between the two, but I like how even the paint schemes are similar. :)

Of course, there have to be differences as Evolution wasn't licensed to use any real cars.

Back