RVV Motor Works - White Knight - 10/02/10

You have the right to deny the cops entrance to your home if they don't have a warrant.

And yes, the Chevelle has R3 tires. Otherwise it wouldn't hook. Or handle as well as it does.

Tell me about it, I tried to tune on possibly for classics chalenge on S3 tyres with stock power levels and get nothing but wheelspin all the time and understeer because it's too big, now I got a Chevelle lying around in a nice metallic Gold that probably can't get any better than my other one, I will probably have to sell it because I can't use it for yours with the weight reductions and rigidity increases it has:guilty:

Got to win win win it. Not hard to do so. I could try and make a race car out of it for personal use. I doubt it will be quick enough though.

Chevelle-banner-1.jpg

Parts List
Sports Exhaust
Racing Chip
NA Tuning Stage 2
Port Polish
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
R3 Tires
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
Triple-plate clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD

Straight Line Performance and other specs:

0-60: 3.5 seconds
0-100: 7.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.801 @ 125mph
0-150: 19.35 seconds
0-150-0: 23.350 seconds

Curb Weight: 1762kg (3876 lbs)

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------9.0/5.5
Ride Height:-------187/170
Shock Bound:-----3/2
Shock Rebound:--4/3
Camber:-----------2.8/2.0
Toe:----------------0/0
Stabilizers:--------5/5
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission:
Final to 4.610, auto set to 18, then set ratios and final.
Ratios are [2.199/1.640/1.274/1.000/0.750/0.600]
Final of 3.730.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LSD/Downforce and others:
LSD: 20/50/30

Brake Balance: 4/6

Downforce: None

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: A customer came in with a nicely restored 1972 Chevelle and asked us to give it a bit more guts, while making it corner with today's race cars.

Well, on the other side of our shop, there was a 1970 Chevelle SS 454. All original, numbers matching. We decided to use THAT as our test mule, as the 1970-1972 Chevelles were identical under the skin.

First thing to go was the original 454; While it made rather good power, we wanted something... Bigger, badder, meaner. So a brand-new 502 crate motor was ordered and dropped on an engine dyno. There wasn't enough power. Not for us.

We ported and milled the heads, and added bigger valves along the way. Compression was raised a bit by the milling, but not enough. A mild dome on the pistons and a recam later, we were happy. 605hp on the engine dyno with a wide-open exhaust. With our 'street' exhaust, it made 580hp @ 5600rpm and 631 ft-lbs of torque @ 3600rpm.

The transmission was a somewhat logical choice; a modern 6-speed with straight-cut gears. The first four ratios are almost identical to those of a Muncie "Rockcrusher" 4-speed, and 5th and 6th are both overdrive.

That covered that, but... What of the suspension?

A completely new front suspension was fabricated, reducing unsprung weight tremendously. Highly adjustable coilovers were employed, and the upper A-arms are adjustable in length for camber adjustment.

Out back, the original 12-bolt was replaced by a custom aluminum-housing Ford 9" designed to put the rear tires at 2 degrees of negative camber. In place of the archaic leaf-springs, there is now a four-link with coilovers and a panhard bar. The differential (A custom LSD, closest to what's known as a 2-way) was stuffed with 3.73 gears.

Tires are 325-50-R15 road racing slicks on widened reproduction rims.

So far so good on the test mule. Now then, the real test: Does the customer want his car to be something like this?

787B-top-speed-banner.jpg

Parts List
Stage 4 Turbo

Straight Line Performance and other specs:

Top Speed: Somewhere in excess of 328mph

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------5.0/4.0
Ride Height:-------105/55
Shock Bound:-----10/1
Shock Rebound:--10/10
Camber:-----------0.0/0.0
Toe:----------------0/0
Stabilizers:--------7/3

Transmission:
Final to 5.000, auto set to 15, then set ratios and final.
Ratios are [2.511/1.595/1.117/.832/.7]
Final of 3.280.

LSD/Downforce and others:
LSD: 30/20/5

Brake Balance: Who cares?

Downforce: 54/88

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Hold the very bottom line through the banking and hit the spray just after you see the fencing on the outside wall pop up. Shift as late as possible when on the spray and hold on for 325+mph!

Merry Christmas!

MarkF4E's Chevelle is in post #306 by the way.

I'll come back with a review some time on the Chevelle, just no time at this present moment. I'm not surprised at the "Ford" diff though, knew you couldn't resist. They actually are a common hot rodders and street drag car mod aren't they, the 9"?

Yep.

First real "mod" my dad did to his Grand National (Other than running 5.00 gears in the stock diff for a while) was a Ford 9".

It's the toughest diff this side of a Dana 60, and said Dana 60 weighs about twice as much.

No problem Mark!

Anyway, I'll be off for a little holiday in Morocco. I'll be back next Wednesday. Too bad I'll miss Paris-Dakar in a pinch! (They start around the day I'll be heading back home, or worse, even later...)

Happy tuning and reviewing all!
And a Happy New Year, if I might not see ya.;)

-Vince.

Chevelle Review
This car has been simulated to a classic car factory tune with so much more really well with the gear ratios and diff, and even ride height. It performs like a shadow of an old school muscle car that's been given some high voltage power and improvement, and they way it can chuck a burn out in first looks pretty cool from a stand still. Having sadi that and considering it would appear that it's meant to be like a classic car then this is a complete success but if it's the actual performance you want to know about then let's talk. The car's turning ability at lower speed corners impressed me for such a huge car but the high speed turnability seemed to be a little lack lustre (it understeered). The wierdest thing came under brakes though, it was like they were trying to lock up a little and your driver is using some threshold braking techniques under some circumstances. It was wierd, they just kept skipping and squealing every once in a while. This did hurt turn in at some points but as it didn't always happen the turn in was good the rest of the time. Once again though, the car has achieved the goal of feeling old skool and that brake problem actually contributes to the effect of old skooliness so well done (intentional or not). Fun old skool car with so much more.

The brakes are somewhat unrepairable. The squealing/skipping only occurs under light braking in my experience, and it's something this car shares with the F-150 Lightning.

This car is truly at home on city courses, where you're launching out of slow corners all the time; Just because of the aerodynamics of the Chevelle, there's some monster lift at high speeds (And the car has a hard time pushing past about 150-160).

And if you apply a bit of a launch technique (slightly less than full throttle until the clutch drops), it will run 11's for you.

Yes, I see. Strange though, I did a Chevelle with 740hp (the one that was going to waste away found a home) and full weight reduction and it doesn't happen. Do you think it's possible that the car has too much load on the weels from the weight and braking combined that makes it skip. I'm not saying you should change it, definitely not, just coming out with theories.

Hmm, GT4 continues to amaze doen't it. You know, I would be happy if they kept most of everything the same for GT5, left out damage and then with all the extra space thay have add another 300 cars and 20 tracks, that's how good GT4 still is. (Not trying to turn this into GT5 discussion, using it as an example).

So what do you think your next car will be? You'll like our car at AT that we are releasing tommorow RJ.

It's already decided to be a 1970 Superbird, named Strangebird, that we're doing for MustangGT90210. It's taken too long already.

After that? I dunno. We have a new member, who I personally will be walking through the basics of tuning.

Congratulations, and have fun at RRV whoever the new guy is. We too have asked one person in particular to join AT, he hasn't decided yet. We needed a new member since Renoff left. Luckily for us, we won't have to teach this guy anything, he's already pretty good according to our talent scouts.;) Anyway, if you ask me the Superbird should have been called Strangebird from the beginning :lol:. It's just a little different.

Yeah, you NEED CLS.

Of course, his taste is absolutely horrid (Honda... Yuck), but I will admit that he's good according to the Tuner Challenges.

You'll figure out who the new guy is... Eventually.

Why do you say we NEED him? Obviously you haven't liked our cars much lately, but like I said, wait until tommorow (AEST) and you may be a little happier with what we release. I see also that some people have a keen eye, I've only hinted at him joining us in public.........I think.

Heh heh heh, yeah it's true. Either way, looking forward to seeing some new product and new tuners here, looks like you're getting back on track.......slowly. 👍

Yeah, you NEED CLS.

Of course, his taste is absolutely horrid (Honda... Yuck), but I will admit that he's good according to the Tuner Challenges.

You'll figure out who the new guy is... Eventually.

At least some of us don't have chatter-marks in our SKULLS :sly: But seriously, I actually don't like Hondas that much in general. Just the S2000 and the NSX... may it rest in peace. The newest NSX-successor concept is FR. BAH!

Speaking of rotaries, I'm surprised you haven't done/published an L10B. Tuned to maximum power, they're a hoot.

Latest Posts

Back