Midland F1 Setups - Career Mode, Hard Difficulty (1st Post Now has TOC Links)

• Thread starter icelt
  • 110 comments
Thanks appie. Don't worry I'll complete the season, it just might take a little while is all.

OK here's something about career mode that is kinda baffling. I'm driving 1st seat for MF1 obviously, have finished 7 of the 10 races so far and have 8 DC points. Just now I applied for a Williams position and was rejected for these reasons:
  • 1st driver - you haven't' won enough GP
  • 2nd driver - you've not won enough championship points

OK. Let's check out the up to date "successes" of Williams' current drivers. The Williams driver with the highest position in the DC is Rosberg (in 11th) with 2 pts. Webber is tied for last with 0 pts. Likewise the CC has Williams with 2 total pts and in 7th place. So last I checked 2 & 0 pts equals zero podiums. Also their current 2 drivers combined have 1/4th the total DC points that I've attained by myself. So how in the H-E-double toothpicks is my application with them rejected? :confused:

It's really not that big a deal as I'm committed to finishing out the season with Midland, but just another example of the little niggles that remain. Man it would have been great to see what SL could have done with this game given 2 years additional development time.

Thanks appie. Don't worry I'll complete the season, it just might take a little while is all.

OK here's something about career mode that is kinda baffling. I'm driving 1st seat for MF1 obviously, have finished 7 of the 10 races so far and have 8 DC points. Just now I applied for a Williams position and was rejected for these reasons:
1st driver - you haven't' won enough GP
2nd driver - you've not won enough championship points

OK. Let's check out the up to date "successes" of Williams' current drivers. The Williams driver with the highest position in the DC is Rosberg (in 11th) with 2 pts. Webber is tied for last with 0 pts. Likewise the CC has Williams with 2 total pts and in 7th place. So last I checked 2 & 0 pts equals zero podiums. Also their current 2 drivers combined have 1/4th the total DC points that I've attained by myself. So how in the H-E-double toothpicks is my application with them rejected?

It's really not that big a deal as I'm committed to finishing out the season with Midland, but just another example of the little niggles that remain. Man it would have been great to see what SL could have done with this game given 2 years additional development time.

I think this is normal. I had the same experience on Medium - Williams offered me a Test Driver position when I was leading the Championship mid-season.

I told them to go #$%*! themselves. :irked:

I think this is normal. I had the same experience on Medium - Williams offered me a Test Driver position when I was leading the Championship mid-season.

I told them to go #$%*! themselves. :irked:

You're absolutely correct. And I had the same issue 1st season in my medium career. Just one of those things that's always 🤬 annoying anyway ;)

Magny-Cours - MF1

TYRE'S:
Tyre type: Dry
Tyre compound: Soft

TYRE PRESSURES:
Front: 29 psi
Rear: 22 psi

TRACTION CONTROL:
Preset 1: 25%
Preset 2: 45%
Preset 3: 90%
Note: Only preset 3

HANDLING:
Front wing: 25%
Rear wing: 30%

Front suspension: 16
Rear suspension: 16

Front camber: -1.7
Rear camber: -0.3
Toe: 0.009

Ride height: 13mm
Front anti-roll: 28000 N/m/s
Rear anti-roll: 111000 N/m/s
Front rebound damping: 9500 N/m/s
Rear rebound damping: 9800 N/m/s
Front bump damping: 7500 N/m/s
Rear bump damping: 7800 N/m/s

SPEED:
Drag/downforce: Custom
Gearbox type: Automatic
Gearbox ratio: Custom

Gear 1: 17.2
Gear 2: 13.5
Gear 3: 11.3
Gear 4: 10.0
Gear 5: 8.9
Gear 6: 8.0
Gear 7: 7.1

BRAKES:
Anti-lock brakes: On

Brake bias settings:
Preset 1: 65/35
Preset 2: 77/23
Preset 3: 35/65
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'14.816"

Notes: Qualy'd 6th, settled into 3rd at the beginning of the 2nd lap but then had a poor corner about 2/3rds through and ended up with a big fat DNF. Blew a great podium opportunity :grumpy:

Looking back my very low ride height may have been a contributing factor as it seemed a didn't hit the curb that hard.

Last edited:
Great setups Icelt. Ive been using them on a championship as Alonso on hard and theyve been working very well. Hows the Hockenheim setup coming along?

Great setups Icelt. Ive been using them on a championship as Alonso on hard and theyve been working very well. Hows the Hockenheim setup coming along?

Thank you sir. Good to hear that you are finding them useful in a ride other than MF1 👍

Hockenheim wise so far this is what I've got.

Hockenheim - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:

TRACTION CONTROL:

HANDLING:
Front wing: 50%
Rear wing: 55%

Front suspension: 16

Ride height: 15mm

SPEED:

Gear 1: 19.3
Gear 2: 15.2
Gear 3: 12.7
Gear 4: 10.8
Gear 5: 9.1
Gear 6: 7.9
Gear 7: 7.1

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice - 1'16.858"

Basically all I'm doing now is using the setup from a previous track that I think is most (or fairly) similar to the new track. Then I just focus on adjusting wing and gear ratio settings to taste. Anyway, for hock I started with Indy. Although now that I think about it the bumpy 3rd sector sections are probably a little more similar to Malaysia so maybe softening the rear sway bar a little might help. Hmmmm.... well if anyone finds some good tweaks please feel encouraged to make suggestions :)

Right now my practice times have only been good enough for about 15th or 16th. Just not enough HP to keep up with these high wing settings.

Last edited:
Well I managed to get a good setup for Hockenheim. I will post it later. However now,Im struggling at Hungaroring. Ive got a great dry setup, gets me to the front row of the grid in practice...but qualifying is in the wet! So frustrating! I cant seem to adjust the dry setup to a wet one properly.

Well I managed to get a good setup for Hockenheim. I will post it later. However now,Im struggling at Hungaroring. Ive got a great dry setup, gets me to the front row of the grid in practice...but qualifying is in the wet! So frustrating! I cant seem to adjust the dry setup to a wet one properly.

You could try my system in the wet...

resign yourself to finishing last! :indiff:

You could try my system in the wet...

resign yourself to finishing last! :indiff:

Right :lol: So far my only race in the wet stuff I was 2 laps down by the time I crossed the s/f line. And I was thrilled just to finish.

As there is no guarantee that if you qualy in the wet that the race the next day will be wet I wouldn't even worry about it. Heck the game makes no provisions for setup adjustments during race day so either struggle with the dry settings or restart that race.

Well I managed to get a half decent wet setup. I qualed 9th (which is poor but was a lot better than were I was getting previously). However, before I started qual, I skipped the session and went straight to the race just to check what the weather was. Seen as the game doesnt but in any provision to change on race day like you said, I didnt mind doing this little 'cheat'. Anyway, the race day weather was dry, so at the end of qual I changed my setup back to dry. Finished the race in 2nd as I got off to a good start and did a 1 stop strategy.

Icelt, you'll be happy to know that your Sepang setup works perfectly for Istanbul. It just needs a few gear ratio tweaks, and possibly a downforce tweak depending on your driving style.

@ BC - good to hear. As always feel free to post any helpful setting changes you come across.

@mr_lip - I believe you mentioned you were going to post your Hock setup?

Damn Im really struggling at Suzuka at the minute. Its a very hard circuit as it is and am struggling to find a competitive set up. Anyone got any tips or even a base setup you think that might work. Need a good result here aswell as I lead the drivers champ by 1 point with 2 races to go!

Suzuka really seems like the hardest track to me (except for Monaco, which is sort of in a class of it's own...)

Suzuka is a right pain in the arse! For me mainly because it is sooo narrow and has several high speed corners that combine to make it very easy to put a rear wheel wrong under braking or acceleration. And as we all know a rear wheel just slightly on the grass under braking or throttle will spin ya like a top right quick like.

Yup. Its very frustrating.At most the corners there are zero run off areas and no apex's. I would say its more difficult than Monaco for 2 reasons. 1 - Monaco is a lot lower speed. 2 - I have a lot more practice on Monaco! Ive barely raced Suzuka before this GP. Im gonna try hard tomorrow to get a decent set up. Fastest i Can clock at the minute is about a 1.34.5 which gets me around 13th place! A pole time on hard difficulty is about 1.32.4

When I first got F1:CE I went straight to Suzuka because I was familiar with it from GT4. I spent a lot of "disappointing" laps there, thinking the game, even on Medium setting, was #@%$! impossible, until I tried some of the other tracks & realized they were much easier.

Hats off to the designers of Suzuka: it's a very challenging track. 👍

Ok well Ive had some success this afternoon. Base setup for Suzuku

Tyres - Soft
Pressure rate - 26 Front 21 Rear

Front Wing - 55%
Rear Wing - 60%

Suspension - 16/17 (Inconclusive which one was quicker)

Camber - -1.7, 0.3 (May also want to try a -1.8,-0.6 camber setting)

Toe - 0.009

Ride Height

The spring rates and dampers I kept the same from Icelt's previous setups.

Also the gear ratios I wont post as they are different each car anyway but I used icelt's silverstone ratios as a base. From there I shorterned 1st to 4th for quicker accel out of the 'Esses' but lengthened 5th 6th 7th for the back straight and 130R.

So I qual'd in 8th place which I feel is quite good because the Ai is ferocious on this circuit. Prob could have got in the top 5 if I had managed a perfect lap. Going on a 1 stop strategy which with some luck will help me get near the podium. Am gonna go do the race now

Edit: Finished 5th in the race which I think is a decent place for this circuit. That points the drivers champ as

Schumacher - 102 points
Alonso (me) - 101
Massa - 99
Fisichella - 92

So its still anyones for the taking!

Haven't done anything since racing Hock. I'll probably start on the next round within a week or so.

Cool. Ive finished my season now. Istanbul is real easy to set up for, its basically the Sepang setup with altered gear ratios. Monza, I could post the setup i used for that if you like. Shanghai is also similar to Sepang. Then you have Suzuka which is a bit of a nightmare!

Budapest - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:

TRACTION CONTROL:

HANDLING:
Front wing: 50%
Rear wing: 60%

Front suspension: 18

Ride height: 16mm

SPEED:

Gear 1: 19.3
Gear 2: 15.2
Gear 3: 12.6
Gear 4: 10.8
Gear 5: 9.3
Gear 6: 8.1
Gear 7: 7.3

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice - 1'17.272"

I started off with Sepang on this one, however I didn't like how the tail end seemed to get loose on me under braking in a couple of the corners. So I reduced the rear suspension by 2. I haven't run my career race yet, but my GP Weekend practice races have shown this setup should be well capable of a top 10 finish (qualy in 10th).

FYI based on what I witnessed on the final 2 corners the AI must be running much lower wing settings as even the top teams are slow, slow, slow around these corners. So I'd guess one could drop the wing settings an additional 10% or so, pick up some straight line speed and still be able to keep up around the bends.

Race result - qualy'd in 6th. Got greedy on the start and took first through the 1st corner even though I knew from my practice races that I wasn't anywhere near fast enough to keep up with the Ferrari's and Renault's. So on the exit from turn 2 I got what I deserved when I didn't realize MSC had gotten a half car length inside me. As I stated to swing to the outside heading into T3 we collided and skidded to a stop. By the time we got underway again 7 cars had passed :grumpy: That's what I get for being greedy though :dunce: Anyhoo... finally managed to settle in from there on and thanks to some DNF's I finished back where I started :D 3 WDC points thank you very little ;)

Last edited:
First of all, your running waaay to low downforce. I usually start at 100/100 and i own them with ease. try using an base setup from San Marino or Monaco:)

FYI based on what I witnessed on the final 2 corners the AI must be running much lower wing settings as even the top teams are slow, slow, slow around these corners. So I'd guess one could drop the wing settings an additional 10% or so, pick up some straight line speed and still be able to keep up around the bends.

It's always seemed to me that the AI is just unaccountably slow around the last corner at Budapest (same as at Hockenheim) - I'm not complaining, it gives me an excellent overtaking opportunity, which I could certainly use!

First of all, your running waaay to low downforce. I usually start at 100/100 and i own them with ease. try using an base setup from San Marino or Monaco:)

Interesting suggestion there appie. I gave it a little try late last night w/o too much success. Later today I'll give it a more serious effort though and see how it works.

It's always seemed to me that the AI is just unaccountably slow around the last corner at Budapest (same as at Hockenheim) - I'm not complaining, it gives me an excellent overtaking opportunity, which I could certainly use!

Yep. I wonder if it is actually wing settings or just an AI "glitch" that makes them much slower around certain corners.

I have noticed this on Hockenheim to, I cannot really recall it happening at Budapest but I will take your word for it. :sly:

Appie - Why do you say to put downforce to 100%? When I do evolution It usually seems that I am faster with my downforce to 38%.

I have noticed this on Hockenheim to, I cannot really recall it happening at Budapest but I will take your word for it. :sly:

Appie - Why do you say to put downforce to 100%? When I do evolution It usually seems that I am faster with my downforce to 38%.

For Budapest 38% seems a bit low but 100 seems a bit high. I'd say about 65-70% because there is only 1 real straight but it is long one. I'll have a go at it later and come back with some more suggestions.

Back