Midland F1 Setups - Career Mode, Hard Difficulty (1st Post Now has TOC Links)

• Thread starter icelt
  • 110 comments
I have noticed this on Hockenheim to, I cannot really recall it happening at Budapest but I will take your word for it.

When you're coming around the last corner at Budapest it seems to work best to go wider than the AI at the start of the curve & then start accelerating earlier & then cut inside. It's a similar thing at Hockenheim, but it's more pronounced there than at Budapest.

Any other "slow spots" you've noticed?

icelt: I PM'd you to see if you were interested in running online sometime (as practically everyone else here seems to be PAL), but didn't get a reply. Did you receive the PM?

Right I jumped into a Renault and set it up rather quickly, I set the wings to 65% and a pretty soft suspension to make it across all those high kerbs and set the gears to accelerate and lenghtened the last 3 a little. The Renault did 1.14.582. Then i got the MF1 put pretty much the same set up on just changed the gears a little and got a 1.16.601, good enough for 2nd and I can consistently get high 16's.

icelt: I PM'd you to see if you were interested in running online sometime (as practically everyone else here seems to be PAL), but didn't get a reply. Did you receive the PM?

Sorry man, I never received a PM from you. Yeah I could be up for that sometime, although I'm mostly focused on my offline career right now.

Right I jumped into a Renault and set it up rather quickly, I set the wings to 65% and a pretty soft suspension to make it across all those high kerbs and set the gears to accelerate and lenghtened the last 3 a little. The Renault did 1.14.582. Then i got the MF1 put pretty much the same set up on just changed the gears a little and got a 1.16.601, good enough for 2nd and I can consistently get high 16's.

Well I finalized my settings and ran the race and I've updated the buda post to match. I'd like to see how yours differed though GT4 as my best practice lap was a 1'17.272". Granted you are a better driver than me :) but I'd still like to see if I feel any faster/more consistent with your setup.

Istanbul - MF1 (not Constantinople)

TYRE'S:
Tyre type: Dry
Tyre compound: Soft

TYRE PRESSURES:
Front: 29 psi
Rear: 22 psi

TRACTION CONTROL:
Preset 1: 25%
Preset 2: 45%
Preset 3: 90%
Note: Only preset 3

HANDLING:
Front wing: 60%
Rear wing: 65%

Front suspension: 8
Rear suspension: 8

Front camber: -1.0
Rear camber: -0.3
Toe: 0.009

Ride height: 16mm
Front anti-roll: 28000 N/m/s
Rear anti-roll: 111000 N/m/s
Front rebound damping: 9500 N/m/s
Rear rebound damping: 9800 N/m/s
Front bump damping: 7500 N/m/s
Rear bump damping: 7800 N/m/s

SPEED:
Drag/downforce: Custom
Gearbox type: Automatic
Gearbox ratio: Custom

Gear 1: 19.3
Gear 2: 15.2
Gear 3: 12.6
Gear 4: 10.8
Gear 5: 9.3
Gear 6: 8.1
Gear 7: 7.2

BRAKES:
Anti-lock brakes: On

Brake bias settings:
Preset 1: 65/35
Preset 2: 77/23
Preset 3: 35/65
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'30.436"

For me I really had to soften up the suspension to not oversteer in Turn 4, god I hate that corner.

12-Tur_eng_rgb_2.jpg

So this is more of a survival setup, rather than a speedy one. A reasonable qualy with this one, if you can manage a high 1'29, is probably only around 13. Also 7th at 7.2 is pretty low unless you're drafting, then it helps a fair bit. Race wise there's nothing to talk about, I butchered T10 which left me going wayyy too slow on the exit and I got rammed from the side as a result. The collision popped off the right front and there you have it.

Last edited:
Monza - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:

TRACTION CONTROL:
Note: Only used preset 3

HANDLING:
Front wing: 30%
Rear wing: 35%

Front suspension: 11
Rear suspension: 11

Front camber: -1.7
Rear camber: -0.3

SPEED:

Gear 1: 19.2
Gear 2: 14.9
Gear 3: 12.5
Gear 4: 10.7
Gear 5: 9.1
Gear 6: 7.8
Gear 7: 6.9

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'23.830"

I think for those who can nail their turn-in corner after corner, this setup could be stiffened a fair bit and lowered as well. However I like the extra comfort that soft suspension settings provide around the chicane curbs. As far as the fast time, well that was about the fastest I can circle with this setup in a MF1. My usual fast lap is around a 1'24.5 +or-, so that 23.8 was a nice little surprise. It wasn't draft aided though, so there is no doubt this car has a 1.22 in it (with a better driver natch ;)).

PS on the setup I had zero issues with tire wear in a practice race so I'm sure one could up the rear camber to -.5/.7 without much problem.

Another aggravating race :grumpy:. Qualy'd right where I wanted to in 16th and made sure in the 1st 3 laps that I let clearly faster cars get by me (learned my lesson). Well the only reason I have to worry about that is because I've pretty well mastered heating up my tires so just by accelerating off the line I easily jump 6 spots. Anyway by lap 4 I was comfortably settled in 15th expecting an eventual jump to 13th or higher with the usual attrition. WRONG. Not 2 turns later the water droplets hit, which means I'm full on 🤬. Somehow I manage to keep it on the track for another 1.5 laps so I can pit, albeit in 18th by that point. I successfully get wets on but it really doesn't help as I can barely keep Speed from passing me :ouch:. Of course 2 laps later he gets by anyway, as I'm all discombobulated out there, and shortly thereafter I grab just a smidgen too much curb and go sliding off into a barrier. Yay! I fail.

Last edited:
Don worry icelt. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Im at the 4th races with the SA on hard more. Most of them time, im on the dirty lines, thus making me slower.

What i meant to say is that some of your setup really worked. Copied some stuff like tyre pressure and camber and i could squeeze an better time out of it. Keep the great work up:)👍

Icelt, try dropping the wings a lot for Monza. I believed i used 13 front, 17 rear. Or 15 front 20 rear. I experimented a lot between the 2 and cant remember which I settled for in the end.

wow, these setups are quite good
ive used them all so far for every race and have actually been quite competitive in the races on HARD, i havent scored any points yet but ive became a much better driver, onyl crashed once at Monte Carlo but thats hard as 🤬

thanks for posting the setups
keep up the good work, look forward to the next ones

Don worry icelt. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Im at the 4th races with the SA on hard more. Most of them time, im on the dirty lines, thus making me slower.

What i meant to say is that some of your setup really worked. Copied some stuff like tyre pressure and camber and i could squeeze an better time out of it. Keep the great work up:)👍

Thanks man, but being hard on myself is my only full time profession ;)

Icelt, try dropping the wings a lot for Monza. I believed i used 13 front, 17 rear. Or 15 front 20 rear. I experimented a lot between the 2 and cant remember which I settled for in the end.

Yeah that might help, but I think my driving style is just more comfortable with the extra wing for the chicanes and corners.

wow, these setups are quite good
ive used them all so far for every race and have actually been quite competitive in the races on HARD, i havent scored any points yet but ive became a much better driver, onyl crashed once at Monte Carlo but thats hard as 🤬

thanks for posting the setups
keep up the good work, look forward to the next ones

Very pleased that you find them helpful.

Yeah that might help, but I think my driving style is just more comfortable with the extra wing for the chicanes and corners.

Yeah you would be surprised how the car handles. Its actually still very stable through the fast chicanes. It does understeer slightly at the first of the two right handers at the top of the circuit (had a mental block on what the turns are actually called and cant be bothered too look!)

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'16.127"
:eek: good God... I didn't think that to be possible on Catalunya with MF1..
My fastest lap during test driving has been around 1:18.8. And I really pushed hard then. No settings allowed naturally, but to cut 2,6 seconds with tuning seems quite a challenge still.

Anyway, could you explain what tire pressure does. In theory I suppose less pressure will allow better grip. And then more pressure would allow...what...worse grip? Whoever wants that? I don't get it. Maybe the downforce is too great if wingsettings are high on a fast track and that would require increased tire pressure? But what is the significant outcome of that?

Also, do you drive with realistic or scaled settings with races? I think I will switch to realistic since I suspect the AI are on this setting.

Fantastic thread by the way 👍

The lower your tyre pressure the quicker your tires will wear down. I use scaled when I'm racing in a less than 100% distance race, this just means that tires and fuel last the same percentage of the race that they would in a full race eg hard tires wear out after 10 laps in a 20 lap race on scaled and in a full race they'd last to lap 30 of a 60 lap race on realistic they would last the full 30laps even though the race is only 20 laps, not that you would get tires that would last that long! But thats my understanding of it.

Nice find with that page, I'll read it later. The lower your tyre pressure the more grip you will get but the quicker your tires will wear so by increasing it you may be able to change from a two stop stratagy to a 1 stop because your tires wont wear so badly.
Also in real life, although I'm not sure if this is a factor in the game, the higher the tire pressure the greater the fuel efficency.

Shanghi - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:

TRACTION CONTROL:

HANDLING:
Front wing: 35%
Rear wing: 40%

Front suspension: 14
Rear suspension: 14

Front camber: -1.3
Rear camber: -0.1
Toe: 0.013

SPEED:

Gear 1: 19.2
Gear 2: 14.9
Gear 3: 12.5
Gear 5: 9.2
Gear 6: 7.9
Gear 7: 7.1

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'35.682"

Solid enough setup, good for a top 10 qualy if one hits a sub 1:36 in Q2. However I found that the tire wear rates were significantly worse than on other tracks. For my GPW practice race I used 22/17 tire pressures and decided that increasing the pressures back to the usual 29/22 would help. Unfortunately it ended up making the wear rate faster. So now I'd recommend a much lower f/r tire pressure setting.

Last edited:
Suzuka - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:
Front: 21 psi
Rear: 25 psi

TRACTION CONTROL:

HANDLING:
Rear wing: 35%

Front suspension: 17
Rear suspension: 17

Front camber: -1.5
Rear camber: -0.2

SPEED:

Gear 1: 20.3
Gear 2: 15.9
Gear 3: 12.7
Gear 5: 9.2
Gear 7: 7.0

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'35.117"

Hellish track. Seems a reasonably fast MF1 qualy time to me but on hard difficulty it's only good for about 18th. With a std controller I don't think I can go any faster.

Race report - it started in the rain and only got worse from there :grumpy:

Last edited:
:eek: good God... I didn't think that to be possible on Catalunya with MF1..
My fastest lap during test driving has been around 1:18.8. And I really pushed hard then. No settings allowed naturally, but to cut 2,6 seconds with tuning seems quite a challenge still.

TBH I was kinda surprised myself. However I've found good settings married to dozens of practice laps can really equal some tight lap times 👍 Oh yeah, don't forget that was basically a "perfect" lap for me. Race laps are more like high 16's & 17's.

Anyway, could you explain what tire pressure does. In theory I suppose less pressure will allow better grip. And then more pressure would allow...what...worse grip? Whoever wants that? I don't get it. Maybe the downforce is too great if wingsettings are high on a fast track and that would require increased tire pressure? But what is the significant outcome of that?

Well I'm no expert to be honest, but I do know that increasing the tire pressure does stiffen up the sidewall. Another benefit (apart from that already noted by GT4) of doing this is faster/quicker turn in (or steering response). However as was noted in the settings link it is possible to overpressure the tire and create kind of a convex shape. So obviously there is some balance between too much and too little tire pressure, however one has to also consider the friction characteristics of the track as well. I have no idea how F1:CE handles the track modeling, but I'm guessing there is at least some variance. For example with my setups I found that using the 29/22 pressure settings at Shanghi resulted in the tires becoming worn a good 2 laps quicker than "normal."

Like you note, I would hope that the downforce settings also influence tire wear, in combination with the tire pressure (well and everything else natch ;)), but without knowing exactly how F1:CE models things we just don't know for certain.

Also, do you drive with realistic or scaled settings with races? I think I will switch to realistic since I suspect the AI are on this setting.

Personally I'm racing 30% distance and therefore use scaled tire/fuel modeling.

Interlagos - MF1

TYRE'S:

TYRE PRESSURES:
Front: 16 psi

TRACTION CONTROL:

HANDLING:
Rear wing: 30%

Front suspension: 13
Rear suspension: 13

Front camber: 0.0
Rear camber: 0.0

Front anti-roll: 26000 N/m/s

SPEED:

Gear 1: 20.2
Gear 2: 15.8
Gear 3: 12.6
Gear 4: 10.6
Gear 5: 9.1
Gear 7: 7.0

BRAKES:

Brake bias settings:
Only used Preset 2

Fast Practice/Qualy - 1'14.201"

Those of you who have been tracking these setups will probably notice I really modified the camber settings for this one. Basically after much trial and error I found that setting for f/r camber to neutral was the only way I could feel comfortable driving through T1. It seemed even if I had a -.3/0 camber setup there was still an outside chance I'd take just the wrong tight line, end up getting too much bite up front, lose the rear and then spin into the inside barrier. The plus side is that with neutral camber I no longer felt the need to have a rear bias on the wing settings. Therefore going balanced there made the front tires bite just a little more helping turn-in and cornering in general. After some GPW practice races I dropped the tire pressure some to decrease wear. So end result is that this setup is definitely good enough for a top 10 qualy. However keep in mind you should be making up the majority of your time on the leaders in S2, S1 and S3 will probably be 2-4 tenths slow (depending).

Race report - qualy'd in the rain, so I started P21. Was able to jump to P11 thanks to a wreck ahead and properly warmed tires. Was trying to settle in but on lap 2 I was slowed down entering T6 (the first uphill right), which put me off the racing line. This resulted in a love tap from behind (hmmm... interesting word choice there :odd:) followed by a spin and then a collision. Race over.

Season 1 Summary
So my season 1 totals are (FWIW I never used a mulligan, once I began qualifying from then on I took/earned every result I experienced):
Races for team - 18
Total races - 18 (duh)
Total finishes - 11
Poles - 0
Wins - 0
Points - 12

According to whatever success formula they use this equated to a season 1 "score" of 25%. :grumpy:

On the bright side Super Aguri wants me as their 1st driver for season2! :scared::lol:

Last edited:
Interesting, because that first Interlagos turn is the satan of all turns in the game. It seems very low wing to me but one can't argue with the fantastic laptime you got out of it. Nice of Super Aguri to notice your progress :D

"A score of 25%"? Where did you find that? Did I miss something?

Interesting, because that first Interlagos turn is the satan of all turns in the game. It seems very low wing to me but one can't argue with the fantastic laptime you got out of it. Nice of Super Aguri to notice your progress :D

Agreed. I was having a "difficult" time trying to come up with tweaks that allowed me to navigate that corner without losing the rear end. Pass after pass no matter how soft I made the suspension (even went down to like a setting of 3 at one point) or fiddled with the AR & damper settings I'd eventually take a line through that left hander that would put me into the inside wall. Finally, after the memory of a random camber post popped into my mind, I decided to reset f/r camber to zero. Low and behold once I did this I could take any line I pleased (or errored into) around the corner and not worry about oversteer. I then found that stiffening up the suspension and balancing the wings didn't adversely effect the car through that corner. So yeah it took some work to get to that point, but boy was I happy once I got there :D

Yeah the wing setting is pretty low, but as slow as the MF1 is in a straight line I wanted to minimize top end loss to the other teams. The last thing I need is a Sauber or RB rapidly closing on my butt going into T1 or T4. It just gives me that uneasy feeling that I'm about to get punted :nervous: ;)

Right :) However I wish RB, BMW or Williams would notice. I outscored all their drivers put together!

"A score of 25%"? Where did you find that? Did I miss something?

At the end of the season in career mode a "season statistics" screen will display with the following categories: total wins, total poles, total points, highest finishing position, number of championships, number of teams driven for, avg points per season and score.

Edit------
Finally got a driver's seat with a real team, BMW-Sauber!! :D

After running trial after trial with all manner of teams, and not once getting a better offer than test (well apart from super best friends of course :indiff:), I finally got a 2nd seat gig after posting a 1:13.986 at Magny (target was 1:16.874). It was the 10 lap test variety. When I saw the 1:13 go up I knew it might be close, but I was still uncertain as I remember Oshow posting that he didn't get a 2nd seat offer after beating a test by 2.5 seconds. I suppose the cut for 2nd seat is somewhere around 2.7 to 2.8 secs. Heaven knows how ridiculously fast on a hot lap one has to be to get a first seat. Although I would assume it's much easier using a manual tranny. Anyway... still well chuffed.

Thanks very much for posting your setups and tips. I got this game about 2 weeks ago and it's very addictive.
I'm just about to complete my first career season on medium and looking forward to moving on to hard. (I think).
Your setups have been very helpful in making me competitive. Thanks again for posting.

Thanks very much for posting your setups and tips. I got this game about 2 weeks ago and it's very addictive.
I'm just about to complete my first career season on medium and looking forward to moving on to hard. (I think).
Your setups have been very helpful in making me competitive. Thanks again for posting.

I'm glad they are helping. I guess I shouldn't be surprised how "slow" the default car setups are, but jeesh some of them are just dog poop. Obviously spending a junk load of time with the game is a big factor, but I'm still kinda amazed by how much faster my best laps are now compared to when I was racing with Ferrari on med difficulty. For example, now in my 2nd season and racing with BMW I won the Malaysian GP by 16+ sec's and only at 30% race distance :crazy:. If someone would have told me that was possible a few months ago I would have thought they were insane. So there's no doubt in my mind that a good driver with a nice wheel setup and running manual gears can legitimately post monster times.

BTW now that I've rerun Bahrain with BMW I'm going to update the setup for that track.

Hello Icelt,

First, thanks a lot for your settings. I play in medium, I'm not as good as you and I don't want to waste time for settings, so yours are very useful for me.

I have two questions :

- When the race (or the qualifs) occurs when it's raining, did you change something to your settings, for better grip for example ? I am very very bad under rain (loose of control in numerous corners...etc)...
- I see that you play with 30% distance. Wich strategy do you use ? One or two stops ? With soft tyres ?

Thanks again.

Sorry for english language mistakes, I'm french ;)

Hello Icelt,

First, thanks a lot for your settings. I play in medium, I'm not as good as you and I don't want to waste time for settings, so yours are very useful for me.

I have two questions :

- When the race (or the qualifs) occurs when it's raining, did you change something to your settings, for better grip for example ? I am very very bad under rain (loose of control in numerous corners...etc)...
- I see that you play with 30% distance. Wich strategy do you use ? One or two stops ? With soft tyres ?

Thanks again.

Sorry for english language mistakes, I'm french ;)

Welcome to GTPlanet. Now to answer your questions.

1 - Unfortunately the game does not provide for changing settings on race day depending on the weather conditions. About the only thing you could do is if you begin qualifying in the rain you could up the wing settings for better grip and hope that it also rains during the race. Unfortunately again, there is no guarantee that it will rain on both days. Actually on several occasions I've experienced dry Q1, Q2 & Q3 only to have it rain for the race. So as difficult as it is to drive in the wet it does get quite frustrating. Your option of last resort is just to quit and restart the race. Which is probably what I'm going to do from now on as driving in the rain on hard just isn't that fun to me.

2 - One stop and soft tires. As long as you don't spin out too much, or overheat the tires on the parade lap, these settings should leave you with
good rubber up until the in lap (depending on the track). Typically I've found that the rears are the one's to degrade fastest (naturally). So when they get yellow/orange I try to back off a little on those high speed sweeping corners that put alot of load on the outside rear. Alternatively if you find the tires wearing too fast the easiest fix is to reduce the camber.

And you English is just fine, no need to apologize. Have fun with your medium career, it is good fun competing and trying to get better in this game 👍

Your option of last resort is just to quit and restart the race. Which is probably what I'm going to do from now on as driving in the rain on hard just isn't that fun to me.
Or change the race option to sunny weather (I'm assuming without checking that that is possible for career mode as well)

icelt
Alternatively if you find the tires wearing too fast the easiest fix is to reduce the camber.
Or one can choose hard tires instead.

Or change the race option to sunny weather (I'm assuming without checking that that is possible for career mode as well)

Or one can choose hard tires instead.

In career mode the player has no control over the weather, it is hard set to variable.

Yeah one could go the hard compound route. Although given the performance differences between the hard and soft compounds, IMHO, one's better off just dropping the camber a little. At least for 30% race distance ;)

Thank you very much for your answers 👍 Icelt

Currently i'm playing in world championship mode with Kimi Raikkonen, and concerning the rain I try to restart race but with no effect. In Monaco GP, weather was good during tests before qualifs, and I was faster than my opponent about 2 sec per turn. But during Q1, the rain appears, and I make the mistake of saving before it : even if I restart, rain was already here :ouch: So I think for avoid rain it's necessary to restart the race from the very beginning. The problem is not here in career mode because it's impossible to save between different sessions I think.

Ok for the tyres strategy. For me it's not a problem making two stops in 50% mode because of opponents do the same, and it offer me a perfect grip during all the race. If I want I can also use hard tyre and make only one stop, so one less than other cars (it can be useful depending of the track !).

Last thing, with your settings, I suffered from loss of control in some fast corner, for example in the last corner or Barcelona GP or in the second S of Montreal. In Barcelona, it make me crash the car at the penultimate lap (I was first :ouch:). More precisely, when I attack these corners faster, the rear slide (even with green and soft tyres) and often it's difficult to recover the trajectory without going out of the track or crashing into a barrer :ouch:

I decide to modify the settings, and I find that let the tyre pressure to default (15 psi / 10 psi) and reduce the ride heigh (you use 18 mm for Montreal, I find thise value high, isn't better with 13 or 14 mm to "stick" the car on the road ?) helped me to avoid the problem and finish the 35 laps of the race without any frustrating loss of control.

Thanks again. If you are interested I had regrouped your settings in an Excel table (but I think you save it too).

Back