RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Ok, I'm going be flipping through the pages and going back to the days when my user title said 'New Member' for my next review. Remember this?
since I'm bored, i decided to do a review of your mazda mx5 tune:
(driven on Top Gear Test Track)
The mazda MX5, one of the best small roadsters in the game, was quite a good car to start with. Eager, fun to drive, and never bites the driver. Even when you go crazy with it and lunge into a corner, it will very rarely spin. But most of that is really due to the fact that, with only 137hp, it never had enough power to cause wheelspin in the first place.

The car could easily cope with more power, in fact, it needs the extra power. My suzuki cappuccino could walk past it (ok, ok, I admit, it is maxed with 137hp).

So, the RKM tune for it, what has it improved? Well, power has nearly doubled (245hp), it's lightened (816kg), and stiffened. It has also been lowered, and the result is a car that's fun, but now has the power to match its cornering abilities. It feels, and sounds, more muscular, less prissy, and can pull off a 1 minute 20 second track time (to put into perspective how quick it is, my 420 FC did a 1 minute 19 second). It's also huge fun when your not in the mood to race. It can pull off nearly impossible angles of drifts, and the really amazing thing is, it never ever spins! I charged into Chicago (the second corner of TG test track), stamped on the brakes and slammed on the power, so vigorously that it understeered wide. But just give it full throttle, trust it won't spin, and with just a hint of tyre smoke, I shot out of the corner. It doesn't matter what type of mess you get into, there's always some hope. All you need is to give it some power, some trust, and there's always going to be hope to get the tail back in line.
Now if you don't mind, I'm off for a few more laps :D

Well, I think that it's time I gave it a proper review :D expect that update of it…very soon.

No limitations except the driver aids ofc (which mostly slow you down anyway amirite) :)
I normally keep everything off but ABS:1 anyway. :D
Just want to say I love your tunes. They always deliver.
Thank you! 👍
how do i make requests for a tune by RKM
At the bottom of the first post, there's a neat little guide for requesting. 👍
Ok, I'm going be flipping through the pages and going back to the days when my user title said 'New Member' for my next review. Remember this?

Well, I think that it's time I gave it a proper review :D expect that update of it…very soon.

How will you review it differently? It's still on the original setup I posted when we started RKM. :lol:

How will you review it differently? It's still on the original setup I posted when we started RKM. :lol:

Not differently, as such, just…adding to it. It's my corner cutting method of getting reviews out without having to face the motivation killing blank document page. So I'll have that as a base, but then I'll pretty much re-do it as I remember I planned for that review to be at least 3 paragraphs long. It was only cuz down due to 2 things:
1) Time. It was school time, and use of the PS3 was limited at that time
2) Lack of experience. I had little to no experience in this 'reviewing' business aside from watching some Top Gear, and I had that review done on a 'Reply to Thread' as opposed to a Pages doc.

I'll just be updating it as an excuse to get uMadson off his arse and link it to the 'archives' section of our thread :lol:

RKM Motorsport’s Ferrari 458 Indy

Ferrari458Indy.jpg

Ferrari458Indy_Big.jpg

Based on: Ferrari 458 Italia ‘09
Obtained: Brand new model at Ferrari

Drivetrain: MR
Horsepower: 668 BHP (@ 379.6 miles)
Torque:---- 60 kgfm
Weight:---- 1232 kg
PP:-------- 600

PARTS
GT Auto

BLiTZ BRW Profile 08 Wheels
Type A Front Aero
Type B Wing

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Semi-Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Racing Medium Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 10/25

Ballast
Amount:-- 0
Position: 0

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 98.9%

Transmission
Transmission

(Set Max Speed, then each individual ratio.)
1st:-- 2.982
2nd:-- 2.091
3rd:-- 1.578
4th:-- 1.301
5th:-- 1.087
6th:-- 0.927
7th:-- 0.803
Final: 4.400
Max Speed: 211 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/15
Accel:-- 0/25
Braking: 0/5

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/-20
Spring Rate: 11.0/15.0
Extension:-- 9/9
Compression: 7/8
Anti-Roll:-- 4/6
Camber:----- 2.5/1.8
Toe:-------- –0.20/-0.25

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 8/9

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
This 458 Indy was tuned to compete in the 600 PP Road Car Shootout, held at both Indy Road Course and the Oval. It’ll probably work on other tracks but we can’t promise anything.

As the name suggests, this 458 Indy is built for 600PP Indy racing. Capable of less than 50 seconds on the oval and 1:28 on the road course, this 458 won’t fail you on your way to the podium.

This is a fully broken in Ferrari 458, without oil change. If your 458 isn’t fully broken in or has had its oil changed, you probably won’t hit 600PP. In that case, you’ll just have to balance the power limiter and ballast weight until you can hit 600PP yourself.

I know you guys get this a lot but (and I REALLY MEAN THIS) you guys really deliver and make awesome tunes. That recent ZZII tune you guys did was simply IMMACULATE!

Tested it on High Speed Ring. I use DS3 so cars with that much PP I usually set ABS to 2 and use SRF if needed but said what the heck! If the car is really is as good as the description you guys had for it then I need not bother. And it was!

Cars nuts! Everything was spot on! Almost flat out in final sector to start-finish straight till the first corner. Take a bow guys, this is ones perfect! Always a fan! 👍

I know you guys get this a lot but (and I REALLY MEAN THIS) you guys really deliver and make awesome tunes. That recent ZZII tune you guys did was simply IMMACULATE!

Tested it on High Speed Ring. I use DS3 so cars with that much PP I usually set ABS to 2 and use SRF if needed but said what the heck! If the car is really is as good as the description you guys had for it then I need not bother. And it was!

Cars nuts! Everything was spot on! Almost flat out in final sector to start-finish straight till the first corner. Take a bow guys, this is ones perfect! Always a fan! 👍

*bows*

Thank you! I tune with a DS3 so a lot of the tunes here will work well with DS3'ers. :D:tup:

RKM Motorsport’s NSX Type R Zero

NSXRZero.jpg

NSXRZero_Big.jpg

Based on: 2002 Honda NSX-R
Obtained: New Car Dealer

Drivetrain: MR
Horsepower: 396 BHP (@ 692.5 miles w/rebuild)
Torque:---- 258 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1051 kg
PP:-------- 535

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
Prodrive GC-010G Wheels
Front Aero Type A
Rear Wing Type A

Tuning Shop
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Fiber Hood (Body Color)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
ECU Tuning
Sports Catalytic Converter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
FC Gearbox
Semi-Racing Flywheel
Semi-Racing Clutch
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Sports Soft tires

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/15

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.250
2nd:-- 2.425
3rd:-- 1.951
4th:-- 1.595
5th:-- 1.324
6th:-- 1.123
7th:-- x.xxx
Final: 5.140/2.730
Max Speed: 124

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: xx/14
Accel:-- xx/22
Braking: xx/11

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -15/-11
Spring Rate: 10.9/12.0
Extension:-- 9/9
Compression: 7/7
Anti-Roll:-- 7/6
Camber:----- 2.0/2.5
Toe:-------- -0.14/0.00

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/7

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.

The NSX Type R Zero is back as not a tailhappy NA1 but as an NA2 that cares for nothing but putting everything in its rear view mirror.

It does its job well.

Last edited:
RKM Motorsport’s LS6>LS7 C5 Z06

LS6LS7.jpg

LS6LS7_Big.jpg

Based on: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) '04
Obtained: New Car Dealer

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 491 BHP (@ 133.4 miles)
Torque:---- 449 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1414 kg
PP:-------- 535

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
BBS LM-R Wheels
Front Aero Type A
Rear Aero Type A
Rear Wing Type A

Tuning Shop
Chassis Reinforcement
ECU Tuning
Sports Header
Sports Catalytic Converter
Racing Exhaust
FC Gearbox
Semi-Racing Flywheel
Semi-Racing Clutch
Carbon Driveshaft
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Sports Soft tires

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/5

Ballast
Amount:-- 0
Position: 0

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 98.0%

Transmission
Transmission

Set Final 1, then Max Speed, then Final 2 + individual ratios.
1st:-- 3.856
2nd:-- 2.828
3rd:-- 2.243
4th:-- 1.853
5th:-- 1.562
6th:-- 1.337
Final: 3.420/2.000

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: xx/7
Accel:-- xx/53
Braking: xx/26

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -9/0
Spring Rate: 14.7/9.9
Extension:-- 7/8
Compression: 6/6
Anti-Roll:-- 5/3
Camber:----- 2.7/2.3
Toe:-------- -0.15/0.15

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 6/6

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:This is really what the C5 Z06 should have been even though it's highly unlikely GM would've even thought about building something quite this hard-edged and close to impossible that they would've put tires perfectly at home on a GT3 RS under it. Close to 500hp from a lot less motor than the LS7 uses means it moves very well, a well-designed aero package means it stays glued at higher speeds, and an extremely well-sorted suspension makes for a car that's rather easy to drive quickly... Though it's still a Corvette and it'll still bite you if you treat it wrong.

uMadson?
I just realized that the 2 tunes were made by RJ... :lol:

Welcome back mate.

-.- beat me to it......But yea, welcome back, RKM finally back together!

And what of the pony? Too much of a pig?

By the way, Andre, feeling more 'in the mood' now?

I just realized that the 2 tunes were made by RJ... :lol:

Welcome back mate.

One was done before my PS3 broke, the other was halfassed on S1s with roughly the same power and no concern for PP. Now it's actually good.

Edit: @Onboy: The pony just... Blech. I'm going to have to try some more things with it but I fear it'll never be remotely competitive. That weight distribution is just terribly counterproductive and helping it along with ballast doesn't do much either.

RKM Motorsport’s LS6>LS7 C5 Z06

Transmission
Transmission

Set Final 1, then Max Speed, then Final 2 + individual ratios.
1st:-- 3.856
2nd:-- 2.828
3rd:-- 2.243
4th:-- 1.853
5th:-- 1.562
6th:-- 1.337
Final: 3.420/2.000

:odd:

I see what you did there.

-.- beat me to it......But yea, welcome back, RKM finally back together!

By the way, Andre, feeling more 'in the mood' now?

Gotcha.

Umm maybe. I'll be starting with Roj's because I can't be bothered with the RJ's comeback tunes, so you go do the 2. :lol:

Rotary Junkie
Edit: @Onboy: The pony just... Blech. I'm going to have to try some more things with it but I fear it'll never be remotely competitive. That weight distribution is just terribly counterproductive and helping it along with ballast doesn't do much either.
Well, you could try the 0 ballast at +50 trick....and I WANT A GO IN YOUR OVERSTEERING ACCORD!!! Gimme the keys!!!!

I mad, bro.

Also, anyone want to see a Miata on N1s any time soon? Onboy beat it with his own but only by being 11PP up with ABS on. :lol:

Umm maybe. I'll be starting with Roj's because I can't be bothered with the RJ's comeback tunes, so you go do the 2. :lol:
Well I ain't loaded with time to burn, am I? I have to do so many things that are more important that tune reviewing! Let's see…
1. School
2. Write song for piano
3. TTT Challenge
4. Roj's MX5 review update
5. More school
6. Daydream <3

Good boy.

*Rotary Junkie slaps uMadson? around like a **** **** **** ***** **************** person*

Edit: Well come get the keys then. COME AT ME BRO.
:lol: I would do that to him too! AND GIMME THE KEYS NAO!!!!!! *pounces at Rotary Junkie and beats the living crap out of him with a stick* :lol:
I mad, bro.

Also, anyone want to see a Miata on N1s any time soon? Onboy beat it with his own but only by being 11PP up with ABS on. :lol:
Oh alright!!! Stop bragging about it!!!! It's Roj's tune, not mine by the way. And to be honest, you were the actual winner of that race. I just won cuz I flattened just about every blad of grass there was on the track.

:lol: I would do that to him too! AND GIMME THE KEYS NAO!!!!!! *pounces at Rotary Junkie and beats the living crap out of him with a stick* :lol:

It's on share. Also, I never said it was good, just that it oversteers. A lot.

Oh alright!!! Stop bragging about it!!!! It's Roj's tune, not mine by the way. And to be honest, you were the actual winner of that race. I just won cuz I flattened just about every blad of grass there was on the track.

Kinda figured it was Roj's tune :lol:

And no, you won because you had the power and draft on me down the back straight and were able to outbrake me. :lol:

It's on share. Also, I never said it was good, just that it oversteers. A lot.

Kinda figured it was Roj's tune :lol:

And no, you won because you had the power and draft on me down the back straight and were able to outbrake me. :lol:

Well, I gave it a go, but there wasn't much oversteer offline, so I nicked the setup, put it on mine, went online, and oversteered into the gravel trap :lol:

Well you could have gone for more power, couldn't you? There was nothing holding you back from adding to the miserable 200+hp it had&#8230;and actually, more power on those tyres was more a curse than a blessing&#8230;

Last edited:
Roj, I have a tuning question for you: Is adding a chassis reinforcement / strut bar mod beneficial for a car without a rear wing? I came across a tune for an M5 without the chassis reinforcement and wing and the car was grippy.

I was thinking if I tried the same thing with the RKM setups would also yield the same result?

Well, I gave it a go, but there wasn't much oversteer offline, so I nicked the setup, put it on mine, went online, and oversteered into the gravel trap :lol:

:lol:

Well you could have gone for more power, couldn't you? There was nothing holding you back from adding to the miserable 200+hp it had&#8230;and actually, more power on those tyres was more a curse than a blessing&#8230;

Could've (and it would've handled it) but I've not bought any parts for it aside from what's on it and didn't feel like tweaking it any. I also could've just set the room to 439PP but I didn't. Oh well lol.

Could've (and it would've handled it) but I've not bought any parts for it aside from what's on it and didn't feel like tweaking it any. I also could've just set the room to 439PP but I didn't. Oh well lol.

Yea, basic review of that Accord:
Before-
Death by understeer
After-
Great fun, death by oversteer

And you could have just bought an air filter or supercharger for it, that would have secured your win…but you did :D Losar!! :D

What's the deal with N/A1 N/A2?

First I thought it mention normally aspirated but then thought it could be tires?

Idiot: :/

It's the chassis code for the NSX…I think. I know even less about cars than you! :D But if I'm right, the NA1 was the one Senna did, the original. And the NA2 is the newer one with fixed headlights, the one we can call Roj's girlfriend :lol:

Back